TV: The Conners

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So did Dan die or not in the final season?

If so, why is he in this?
Yes, he died.

Not trying to sound like a jerk but read the thread, its only a couple pages long.

It will be interesting to see how they say he lived now.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Both the extraordinary success of Roseanne and the outcome of the last election were driven by working class families in middle America feeling that they'd been forgotten and unheard. If you didn't learn anything from either of those, you're unlikely to learn anything from a short-lived reboot now.
I've learned that many of those people somehow were under the impression that an individual that literally has made a career out of profiting off those people will somehow suddenly represent their interests. Leads me to believe some education is required in some huge nooks and corners of America. If education isn't getting appropriately funded (furthering a certain party's ability to manipulate the working class into voting against their own interests), hopefully this show will somehow find a way to convey some constructive/developmental/beneficial messages.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Roseanne wouldn't have had that final season this would be great

But that final season was so horrific and last episode so horrific that its hard to get interest in this

I wonder how they will address Mark situation. It would be best to just handle his character as being dead and accept it ,, Hell they can build episode around Becky coming to terms with it like Crystal came to terms with her husband Sonny's death

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This was a sitcom, they can basically write in any reason for Dan coming back and it really doesn't matter. As far as the rest of the cast like Mark. Time has passed and things happen to people. The greatness of this show was never the overall story arch... lottery, diner, ect but the interactions and chemistry between the characters. They comedy was so dark and sarcastic similar to Married With Children. It's worth the watch as I have not paid attention to any sitcom in years.

That being said they did mix in some deeper topics like domestic abuse, ect.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The interactions , etc was great but another part that really hit the hearts of many viewers and made them love show was it wasn't some glamourous happy sappy sitcom in which everything goes right

Think of Family , Growing Pains or Cosby Show. It was hard to relate to those shows as a kid from Midwest from a lower class/lower middle class family. I mean at end of day those families just never went thru stuff my family and so many families in this area have

Cosby family never had power shut off because they couldn't pay bills
Keaton family never had both parents lose jobs and family struggling to get thru things
Seaver family never had to deal with issues of family dysfunction such as Dan's parents or Roseanne's parents

Its hard to really explain how much the Connor family hit things right with regard to Midwestern family

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've learned that many of those people somehow were under the impression that an individual that literally has made a career out of profiting off those people will somehow suddenly represent their interests. Leads me to believe some education is required in some huge nooks and corners of America. If education isn't getting appropriately funded (furthering a certain party's ability to manipulate the working class into voting against their own interests), hopefully this show will somehow find a way to convey some constructive/developmental/beneficial messages.

People aren't uneducated because they disagree with your agenda. It's a dangerous conceit to believe that your side did nothing wrong and was rejected by the people out of sheer stupidity. People who blame and disparage the other side instead of looking in the mirror learn nothing from their mistakes and set themselves up to repeat them in the future. If executives of other shows would've insulted Roseanne's audience, instead of learning from its success, they might've doomed themselves to becoming out of touch with viewers.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
People aren't uneducated because they disagree with your agenda. It's a dangerous conceit to believe that your side did nothing wrong and was rejected by the people out of sheer stupidity. People who blame and disparage the other side instead of looking in the mirror learn nothing from their mistakes and set themselves up to repeat them in the future. If executives of other shows would've insulted Roseanne's audience, instead of learning from its success, they might've doomed themselves to becoming out of touch with viewers.
You're right - people aren't uneducated because they disagree. People are uneducated because they're uneducated. And, I don't have a "my side". I'm an outsider. I fully understand mistakes were made and options were less than ideal. The fact remains that large swaths of the lower/middle classes are manipulated into voting against their own interests on a regular basis. Hopefully Roseanne finds ways to explore and educate on topics like "family values", race/culture fears/issues, white privilege, empty trickle-down promises, health care, and other tools working against many of the folks who rely on favourable government policies the most.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Mark died in Iraq i believe was said of the character.

It is funny how people hate the finale, i thought it was clever call back to one of the great episodes and made sense with how silly the final season was.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You're right - people aren't uneducated because they disagree. People are uneducated because they're uneducated. And, I don't have a "my side". I'm an outsider. I fully understand mistakes were made and options were less than ideal. The fact remains that large swaths of the lower/middle classes are manipulated into voting against their own interests on a regular basis. Hopefully Roseanne finds ways to explore and educate on topics like "family values", race/culture fears/issues, white privilege, empty trickle-down promises, health care, and other tools working against many of the folks who rely on favourable government policies the most.

Believing that people would agree with your positions and interests if only they were more educated is arrogant. That kind of attitude is largely why recent elections have turned out as they have, since people are tired of being judged for not voting the way that others tell them to. Those who hope that the people become "educated" before the next time are the ones who haven't learned the obvious lesson from the last time.

Last edited:

rbochan

Funny how the oddest threads become...

Liberal Man meets Conservative Man
Conservative Man wears his myth on his skin
Liberal Man has to explain his and keeps his shirt buttoned up and his sleeves rolled down
Conservative Man greets Liberal Man with a well-rehearsed cold stare
Liberal Man replies by issuing forth horseshit
Conservative Man retaliates by taking his concrete reality of the situation and lodging it, like a wedge, right between both sides of the Liberal Man's brain
Liberal Man is caught off guard by this apparent non-abstraction
There is one full minute of confusion
Liberal Man becomes Conservative Man
Conservative Man becomes Liberal Man
War is declared
Liberal Man cheats and calls for reinforcements
Conservative Man is set upon by a mob and murdered
Said mob then turns on Liberal Man and he dies a broken man

Reactions: kurt

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Used to not like Roseanne when it was on, but I got a nasty case of insomnia when my mom was diagnosed with cancer awhile back. So I stayed up watching re-runs late at night and loved the show.

Darlene and Roseanne cracked me up... the Fatzilla line Darlene used about Roseanne was one of my favorite one-liners in the show.

Those two just nailed their roles so well and had me smiling during a time when happiness was stolen from my life.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It was a resounding.... okay. Nothing to really write home about. Weak start, then had some legitimately funny moments, and then kind of just averaged out to okay.

Nothing special but nothing awful either.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just made it through the first 2 episodes

Did anyone else recognize the teacher in Ep. 2 as Darlene's teacher from the series' pilot? The episode where Darlene is barking in class

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad