The Coming Big Dump

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Cap Update: CapGeek has us with almost $4.7 in space. This does not include:

Forsberg (?) ($1,460,833)
Watson (?) ($1,111,667)
Bonuses
A legitimate backup (please) / Carter Hutton ($550,000)

Hutton and Hellberg are our 2nd and 3rd goalies in some incarnation. That's not going to change.

I don't understand how bonuses are not factored into that number though as Forsberg and Watson both are scheduled to make less cash than their cap hit. Also, as for bonuses, you can exceed the salary cap by up to 10% based on bonuses during the season.

Right now our cap number is at $7 or $8 mil, whatever bonus Weber was paid on July 1st. Spaling is moveable as is Smith and if they don't make a move, I expect Beck to start on Milwaukee or a trade to go down if Beck simply forces his way onto the roster.

I'm not convinced we are done. We know they stated last week that there are 5-6 depth guys to sign to play in Milwaukee and I believe Poile is remaining active in the trade market and also has a good pulse on one more NHL free agent (Grabovski). He still has some wiggle room to go...

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Why would that be something to fear? If they're not noticeable upgrades over vets at this point, let them go back to Milwaukee and keep developing. I don't see any problem with bringing them along slow for a little longer.

edit: that was in response to trigg's post.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Why would that be something to fear? If they're not noticeable upgrades over vets at this point, let them go back to Milwaukee and keep developing. I don't see any problem with bringing them along slow for a little longer.

edit: that was in response to trigg's post.
Beck to me looked like our best winger in the limited game he played last season.. I fear he'll be sent down, only because he can, not because he's not ready.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Beck to me looked like our best winger in the limited game he played last season.. I fear he'll be sent down, only because he can, not because he's not ready.

Agreed, and then the obvious risk of stagnation exists. What does he really have left to prove in Milwaukee. He's ready for the challenge. Forcing him down for any type of period simply due to numbers would be poor asset management.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Agreed, and then the obvious risk of stagnation exists. What does he really have left to prove in Milwaukee. He's ready for the challenge. Forcing him down for any type of period simply due to numbers would be poor asset management.

which is why Spaling is simply not going to have a spot, and must be traded... and unless Smith comes out smoking, he's probably gone as well, although we might have to just eat his salary if no one claims him on waivers

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL

I understand what you're saying, but that's why I said "unless they blow away the competition." In other words, if he comes out in camp and the guy is on fire I think it will force Poile to make a trade and keep him in the lineup. Or waive some guys to send down. Something. I can't see him sending Beck or Forsberg or Watson or whoever back down if they earn a spot in camp.

But if they look just about the same as other guys, send them down and see if they can get a little better while waiting for an injury call-up (which is going to happen). Then maybe they get a little better playing top line minutes in the minors and when they come up they force their way into the lineup.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I understand what you're saying, but that's why I said "unless they blow away the competition." In other words, if he comes out in camp and the guy is on fire I think it will force Poile to make a trade and keep him in the lineup. Or waive some guys to send down. Something. I can't see him sending Beck or Forsberg or Watson or whoever back down if they earn a spot in camp.

But if they look just about the same as other guys, send them down and see if they can get a little better while waiting for an injury call-up (which is going to happen). Then maybe they get a little better playing top line minutes in the minors and when they come up they force their way into the lineup.
But SLake outlined the risk of sending Beck back down

... then the obvious risk of stagnation exists. What does he really have left to prove in Milwaukee. He's ready for the challenge. Forcing him down for any type of period simply due to numbers would be poor asset management.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
wasnt it reported(or at least discussed on here) that Beck was told to find an apartment in Nashville after his call-up last year? Wonder if that was just for last season or if he's here to stay

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Smith isn't going anywhere. He was just invited to camp for the USA team and while he won't make that roster, the fact that he got an invite tells me Poile is still really high on him. I also don't imagine Spaling going anywhere as the team has invested a lot of time in him and he's still a productive player.

If we choose to send Beck down because we have too many forwards on the roster than we're stupid. You play the best roster you can ice. If we have too many forwards on the roster than Poile needs to do a better job of roster management. I'm all for competition but not at the risk of stunting the development of good young players.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If anyone is in danger of being sent down, it's Forsberg IMO. Beck has paid his his dues and has nothing left to learn down there. Forsberg on the other hand, could learn a lot and is still very much developing. I assume he doesn't have a clause to go back to Europe if he doesn't make the NHL?

All depends on training camp of course.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If Smith is here on opening day you have to feel he is on a short leash. He must produce or by 1 Nov he is likely done. It makes sense to put FF in Milwaukee for a month while Smith gets his last chance. If FF has a great camp Smith may not even make it to opening day. Beck is pretty much a lock for a roster spot. Spaling on the other hand may be dealt for a prospect.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not convinced we are done. We know they stated last week that there are 5-6 depth guys to sign to play in Milwaukee and I believe Poile is remaining active in the trade market and also has a good pulse on one more NHL free agent (Grabovski). He still has some wiggle room to go...

Haven't they also stated that we're done in free agency, though?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Smith isn't going anywhere. He was just invited to camp for the USA team and while he won't make that roster, the fact that he got an invite tells me Poile is still really high on him. I also don't imagine Spaling going anywhere as the team has invested a lot of time in him and he's still a productive player.

If we choose to send Beck down because we have too many forwards on the roster than we're stupid. You play the best roster you can ice. If we have too many forwards on the roster than Poile needs to do a better job of roster management. I'm all for competition but not at the risk of stunting the development of good young players.

Do the math Glenn... there is already only one spot for either Smith or Spaling, and thats without Beck.

Spaling is GONE... book it... there is no spot for him, and he is on a reasonable enough deal that someone will trade for him.

I agree that Poile wants to give Smith a chance... mainly because with his current contract he would be hard to move unless he starts playing better.

If Beck makes the team, then Smith either becomes a $2 million dollar 14th forward, or else Forsberg gets sent to the AHL which I believe is not gonna happen...

Haven't they also stated that we're done in free agency, though?

Poile has said we have addressed our needs... but he didnt say for certain we are done. Slake usually has pretty good hunches and he seems to be saying he thinks we are still in the running for Grabovski... who, if signed, obviously throws the roster into even more chaos and would be almost certainly the end for Smith

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Getting rid of Smith would be an early Christmas present for us. Until Trotz puts him back at C, which will never happen, he is going to be a complete failure on our roster. Send him elsewhere where he can do something, otherwise in 2 years he will be another Blum.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Do the math Glenn... there is already only one spot for either Smith or Spaling, and thats without Beck.

Spaling is GONE... book it... there is no spot for him, and he is on a reasonable enough deal that someone will trade for him.

I agree that Poile wants to give Smith a chance... mainly because with his current contract he would be hard to move unless he starts playing better.

If Beck makes the team, then Smith either becomes a $2 million dollar 14th forward, or else Forsberg gets sent to the AHL which I believe is not gonna happen...

Poile has said we have addressed our needs... but he didnt say for certain we are done. Slake usually has pretty good intel and he seems to be saying we are still in the running for Grabovski... who, if signed, obviously throws the roster into even more chaos and would be almost certainly the end for Smith

Like I stated in another thread, our centers while not sexy are getting old in the tooth. To let Spaling go is stupid. We have Wilson and Watson moving forward as far as centers go, maybe even Smith but that's down the line. That's what the system has right now and I don't think we have anyone else in the middle that projects to an NHL level talent. So let's sign guys on the other side of 30 and let a guy under 25 on a good contract walk, that makes no sense to me.

You like Goose. I like Spaling. One has to go if not both. We'll see who's right in time.

Thinking about this before I hit submit, the best way to figure out the roster is this. Break the team down into our top 9 and bottom 3. Who are the three centers on the top 9, Cullen, Fisher, Legwand. That's a given. Who are the 6 wingers in the top 9, Hornqvist, Bourque, Forsberg, Wilson, Beck, Stalberg and Smith. That's 7 players fighting for those 6 spots. That seems reasonable. Break out the bottom 3 and you've got Gaustad and Spaling fighting for the center spot. You have Nystrom, Hendricks and Clune fighting for the wings. Depending on who wins these battles or who Trotz wants out there, we can always move Spaling to the wing if need be.

So realistically Forsberg or Beck starts in Milwaukee because neither of them start on the 4th line. Then it becomes the fight between Goose and Spaling in the middle with Clune the permascratch OR we carry 14 forwards and any of the 4, Goose, Spaling, Nystrom or Hendricks sits out with Clune. The other part of this that neither you or I are figuring on is chemistry. While we may look at these guys outside of the ice, what 3 are going to perform the best on the ice for us. Heck, Goose and Spaling could both be gone if Hendricks can handle the middle and Nystrom and Clune are the wings. We also don't know how Goose is going to be coming off his surgery so that has a little bit of play in this as well. What if training camp opens, Spaling is in the middle and plays well with Nystrom and Hendricks. Goose could be the odd man out. I think it comes down to who Trotz thinks is going to gel with one another.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Poile has said we have addressed our needs... but he didnt say for certain we are done. Slake usually has pretty good intel and he seems to be saying we are still in the running for Grabovski... who, if signed, obviously throws the roster into even more chaos and would be almost certainly the end for Smith

I have no inside info, nor am I making any claims of such regarding Grabovski. I know the team has been interested in him in the past, actually having traded for him literally a minute after the deadline just prior to his contract extension.

There are three teams interested per his agent. There aren't many openings remaining around the league for him to play top-six. I believe we are in on it. That's just my opinion.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We need to be looking around for a way to trade 2-3 of our roster forwards for an upgrade. Of course, about 20 teams in the NHL want to do that, but we need to find a way to turn quantity into quality.

I do think Spaling and Smith are the two on the chopping block, even though I disagree with them over Gaustad and co. Maybe Spals+Bourque for an upgrade on Bourque?

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Confirmed via mynhktraderumors.com

Craig Custance: Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, said that three teams are “very interested.” A decision is not expected until August.

And this was posted 3 days before the above quote.

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Simmons thinks the mostly likely landing spots for Mikhail Grabovski are with the Capitals, Jets, Panthers or Flames. Simmons wonders if Ron Hainsey’s CBA involvement is keeping teams away from signing the UFA.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Same website.

Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: After signing Nick Spaling over the weekend (1 year, $1.5 million), the Predators now have 15 forwards under contract. Spaling may move to the wing, and could be the odd man out. Rich Clune, Filip Forsberg and Taylor Beck could be on the outside looking in as well.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Let's say we are in on Grabo. We then have Cullen, Grabovski, Legwand, Fisher, Gaustad, and Spaling up the middle, with Wilson and Smith as possibilities as well. Something has to give. We already have a logjam at forward, and center in particular, so adding another body (don't get me wrong, I'd love to add Grabo. Upgrade on most of our forwards) means we have to look even more desperately to move someone.

If we do land him, I think Cullen, Grabovski, Fisher, and Gaustad would be our centers. Legwand is either moved to wing or shopped. I think a team like Edmonton could really use him, and maybe he could land a good prospect in return to add to our young core. Spaling is probably gone as well, either way. Hopefully we can package him and someone for an upgrade, or move him for a pick/spec as well.

Either way, we need to clear space somehow. Unfortunetly, the three I most want to trade (Gaustad, Nystrom, and Hendricks) are going nowhere.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Hey guys! remember last season our top line of Bang-Mueller-Henderson? Wasn't that fun? Depth isn't a bad thing. We can hold 3 extra players on the roster as scratches-a dman and 2 forwards. In my mind that is a top 6 and a bottom 6 scratch. It just creates competition

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
FF is signed overseas. If he does not make the team out of camp he can not play in the AHL. He will go back overseas and we can not call him back to the team until his season is done over there. So we will either have FF this season as a Predator or we will wait until next season to see if he sticks. It's that simple and if we keep Spaling and or Smith we will not have room for FF or Beck for that matter.

I still think it will look something like this.

Wilson/Fisher/Horny
Stalberg/Legwand/FF
Smith/Cullen/Bourque
Nystrom/Gaustad/Hendricks

Clune on the bench.

Spaling traded
Beck in AHL

The other option I can see happeing is Bourque on the second line and FF goes back overseas. Spaling or Beck on the third line in place of Bourque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad