Post-Game Talk: The Comeback Kids get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Geno needs some help. Zucker isn’t the answer nor is Kapanen.

Think they'll be fine for now, even if you have to sub in Tanev for Kap if he's "not up to speed yet".
Bottom line is Crosby's line was on fire once Rust was added. Can't change that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
---Zucker back to tweener island. He like...should be good, but he's not. He's turning the puck over when you just can't.
---Geno; there are very few words. Be better.
-Tanev blew it on the empty net situation.

+++Marino-POJ should be our 2nd pairing.
++Great play #58 on the Guentzel goal.
++++Jarry
++Puck luck

The Rangers have some real talent. Lafreniere and Kakko are #1 and #2 picks, but the 2 dmen (Fox and Miller) are way more noticeable right now.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Geno needs some help. Zucker isn’t the answer nor is Kapanen.

As even part fan-boy and always reasonable analyst, I have said something like that with Geno many, many times. A lot of times it has been true also.

Right now however, Geno needs to do the right things himself. Like he did last season. Then it'll come, also with Zucker and Kap, even if Zucker has been an impediment more than a help from what I have seen so far.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
tenor.gif

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I still really want Zucker with Sid , but that won't happen with Guentzel there.

Hopefully Zucker figures it out with Geno.

But when Zucker was with Crosby he was scoring at a 32 goal pace.

Zucker has been very unlucky though, so maybe he rips a couple goals off in a game soon. He's still making good plays all over.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Which is why I'm not going overboard with individual players and individual plays. Critiquing any of them (including my faves)? Absolutely. Poking fun? Check. But, it's pretty clear that issue #1 is the elephant in the room, and every 'win' makes it easier to ignore.

Yeah I've never understood the short term memory about what a team that has bought in to their coach looks like. When you're a team with a real system and real buy-in you get dozens of grade A chances a game, the other team looks like it can't generate anything unless it gets a lucky bounce, top players score every game and look like they could have twice as many points. Role players seem to outplay their roles. And sometimes you still lose because you get unlucky bounces. But it's completely different to what we've looked like outside of a couple months spread out over the last 3 years. We're not swapping Zucker and Guentzel away from that.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
ERod going out was a spark of the line change that needed to be made. Don;t want an injury on any Pens but clearly sully was just out to lunch on that line up. POJ will see a harder physical game with Boston and see how he does. so far he is doing well. Move Ruhwedel to LD and play Marino back to his normal RD.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Right now however, Geno needs to do the right things himself. Like he did last season. Then it'll come, also with Zucker and Kap, even if Zucker has been an impediment more than a help from what I have seen so far.

Zucker moves the puck when he should carry it and carries it when he should move it. He also gets regularly worked on puck battles.

I could see us moving off of him this year if they can recoup what they gave up. Maybe if Poulin develops.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Line 1 was great.

Started scoring too once a certain player left. Crazy how that works.
Yea dude. I don’t wish for injuries but I quietly hoped he wouldn’t come back. He provided absolutely nothing and rust looked awesome.

Reactions: ownal

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Think people are dogging on the system too much. It's visible to me and they're getting better with it each game. It's also really aggressive, so breakdowns will come thick and fast when even slightly off, with the idea being we can force even more the other way. I dunno if we can get it down but the intent is fully there and it matches up with the roster's strengths.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I doubt that system exists.

We have seen lazy forward play for long stretches in the past. Especially supporting defensively.

Unfortunately some of the worst offenders are the ones paid the most.

It is not a bad system. It is players refusing to do the important little things for long stretches. Until that changes no system will make a difference.

Can't change the whole roster. Gotta change the coach.

EDIT: I also don't see any remnants of the 2016 system in our system over the last 3 years if that's not clear. That's either Sully changing it, or the players have been ignoring him for 3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad