Post-Game Talk: The Comeback Kids get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Team is looking better each game. First several games we gave tons of odd man breaks. The team is starting to play good hockey. We aren't there yet but without preseason games this is just getting to normal beginning of the season game ready time. With Rodriguez out it forced Sullivan to play good lines!!!

Reactions: StaalForOne

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I will say this. If we're going to play bad this year and then save our strong play for the second half of the season/playoffs I am OK with that. In some ways I'd rather they get their slump out of the way now and then turn it on near the playoffs.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
+first time winning in regulation
+first time giving up fewer than three goals
---Malkin
----Ceci
-----Playing Marino on the offside to accommodate Ceci being bad

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
2-0 in GDT’s. 100% strike rate!

200.gif

do ya feel BIG?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Lafreniere should have scored a couple times tonight. Got a little lucky there.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Seeing Lafreniere and Kakko just reminds me how lucky we were to get Crosby and Malkin. Not that those two won’t be great players, but ours were immediate franchise changers.

Yep. Not every top 2 pick is Eichel,Sid,Malkin,Mcdavid etc. Jack Hughes looks very good after a bad rookie year, they take time. Though...i don't have much confidence in Kakko living up to his draft position.

Reactions: Doogle and Vegeta

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I suppose the answer depends upon what one wishes to see the Penguins do this year . . .

To be honest, I just want to be entertained.

World is in a bad place right now. I need something to make me smile. They played better tonight. Still not great, but more entertaining than most of the other games. Baby steps.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Paraphrasing my reply, I'd be inclined to agree a lot more if (a) the Pens played with anything resembling structure and support with and without the puck and (b) if the Pens did this against a team that bothered to play defense/had something more than a crap defensive core.

Doing that against Boston will be a baby step, but I still think this transcends just 'playing badly'.

Yeah IMO priorities are

1) Getting a system, any system that the guys will actually play
2) Playing like we want to win every shift
3) Lineup choices
4) Individual play

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I suppose the answer depends upon what one wishes to see the Penguins do this year . . .

It's a good thing if they have good play in them and are going to unleash that near the playoffs instead of now.

It's a bad thing if this is simply what they are and more wins = more Sullivan.

Reactions: KIRK

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Much better game this time, but I would still say AVERAGE. We were more lucky, not better. But at least it was not horrible.

ERod getting hurt won us this game. Sid and Jake got a winger finally and immediately delivered, proving Empoleon and Sullivan wrong. Rust was fantastic again and you can see what a difference it makes. Night and day compared to ERod. Hopefully ERod never sees the TOP6 time again, it´s really shocking what was happening there.

Another notes:

-POJ is legitimately good
-Dumoulin might be legitimately bad
-Letang I thought was very solid
-Ceci is really bad, Marino is suffering there
-Jarry was fantastic, he is back IMO. Also his stick play is phenomenal
-Malkin bad. AGAIN.
-Zucker did very little again

Rangers are decent and they also scratched JJ and played a disciplined game with zero penalties. We found a way to beat them in regulation in a comeback fashion. HUGE. MASSIVE 2 points.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I will say this. If we're going to play bad this year and then save our strong play for the second half of the season/playoffs I am OK with that. In some ways I'd rather they get their slump out of the way now and then turn it on near the playoffs.
TBH I don't think we can afford that. The Rangers are probably one of the easier teams we'll play and we're getting pushed pretty hard by them. If we fall too far behind we're gonna miss the playoffs. We need to gain altitude and fast!

Reactions: Pancakes

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
With the way the season started i think we just have to wait for all these teams to gel for a while

all the wins and losses are just filler right now... in about two to three more weeks we will see a better picture

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
+E-Rod for instilling fear in the minds of the Rangers.

+Rust about to score 30 again

+Blueg/Tanev still incredible

+JAKE-SID-RUST REUNITED and Rust looked like the best player on the line. 30 goals for him again EASY.

+POJ with some exciting composure with the puck.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah IMO priorities are

1) Getting a system, any system that the guys will actually play
2) Playing like we want to win every shift
3) Lineup choices
4) Individual play

Which is why I'm not going overboard with individual players and individual plays. Critiquing any of them (including my faves)? Absolutely. Poking fun? Check. But, it's pretty clear that issue #1 is the elephant in the room, and every 'win' makes it easier to ignore.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Much better game this time, but I would still say AVERAGE. We were more lucky, not better. But at least it was not horrible.

ERod getting hurt won us this game. Sid and Jake got a winger finally and immediately delivered, proving Empoleon and Sullivan wrong. Rust was fantastic again and you can see what a difference it makes. Night and day compared to ERod. Hopefully ERod never sees the TOP6 time again, it´s really shocking what was happening there.

Another notes:

-POJ is legitimately good
-Dumoulin might be legitimately bad
-Letang I thought was very solid
-Ceci is really bad, Marino is suffering there
-Jarry was fantastic, he is back IMO. Also his stick play is phenomenal
-Malkin bad. AGAIN.
-Zucker did very little again

Rangers are decent and they also scratched JJ and played a disciplined game with zero penalties. We found a way to beat them in regulation in a comeback fashion. HUGE. MASSIVE 2 points.
Yeah I thought Letang had a nice game this evening. POJ looking good early. Jarry getting better with each game. Hopefully he improves even more against the B's.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad