Post-Game Talk: The Comeback Kids get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Seeing Lafreniere and Kakko just reminds me how lucky we were to get Crosby and Malkin. Not that those two won’t be great players, but ours were immediate franchise changers.
I remember watching Sid passing to Geno against the Devils on his "Mario-esque" goal and just thinking "These guys are going to save our franchise." They were what 19/20 at the time? Unreal

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Jarrs has bounced back big time, and I love it.

Rust and L1 looked so much better tonight. If KK and Malkin can gel that would just be super. Gotta get Zucker going somehow.

Aside from that, the supporting cast once again was awesome. McCann, Blueger especially when he sprung Rust for that breakaway.

edit: and once again, we cant seem to buy an ENG :laugh:

Copying my post from the GDT. Good teams find ways to win, even when they're playing bad.

The Penguins have been playing like crap this year and they are 4-2. If they're doing this while mostly playing like garbage, what is it going to look like when the top-6 gets rolling? It's too talented to not get its shit together.

"the mark of champions", it's sometimes said. I would dare hope for that much with this team. But picking up points in these "greasy" ways, while every night things seem to improve for lineup decisions, game speed, decision making, etc, is fantastic.

Reactions: ncm7772

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Jarry was very good tonight
defense was oh boy...
4 and 6 are total disaster, Marino cannot play opposite side, try Ruh....bbut these three injuries will kill us,
offense will come through just needs to get some good combos, Rust will stay with Jake and Sid now forever, just hope that Kap and Zuck can work with Geno but that will be hard...Geno is not feeling it definitively, he is trying effort is there but he is just step slower, he could use Kap or someone that would drive it a little bit

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Without looking at anyone else's posts

Can't fault this team's resilience. Wish we weren't finding out about it so much but this team comes back again and again. I see a few posts here and there about the core playing like they want Sully fired and lord knows they play it a lot, but the way they keep finishing strong runs counter to that.

Big game from Jarry. Big game from Sid. Big game from Rust.

I feel awful for saying this but it can't be denied Rodrigues injuring him was for the best for the team's performance.

ZMK looked interesting. Malkin's still a little out of sync. I would like Zucker to play simpler. He goes to the right places but isn't making the right plays, and I think sometimes he's overthinking it.

Bottom six was kinda just there, although nice goal from McCann. Ruh-POJ a good pairing. Marino looked like Marino, I'd love to get him a LD to match.

Dumo looked awful. It's a real problem. He's a lynchpin and right now he's just flapping in the breeze. Letang was dodgy at times, but I think looked better.

I remain excited by this team's potential and pessimistic about the probability of getting there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To be honest, I just want to be entertained.

World is in a bad place right now. I need something to make me smile. They played better tonight. Still not great, but more entertaining than most of the other games. Baby steps.

Well, if smiling is your objective, then Penguins hockey, whether they're scoring and winning or playing whatever passes for comically bad defense, is a win-win in that regard. :D

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
+E-Rod for instilling fear in the minds of the Rangers.

+Rust about to score 30 again

+Blueg/Tanev still incredible

+JAKE-SID-RUST REUNITED and Rust looked like the best player on the line. 30 goals for him again EASY.

+POJ with some exciting composure with the puck.

Rust might pace for 30. No one is scoring 30 this year aside from Mathews or Ovi.

Reactions: Trade

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
TBH I don't think we can afford that. The Rangers are probably one of the easier teams we'll play and we're getting pushed pretty hard by them. If we fall too far behind we're gonna miss the playoffs. We need to gain altitude and fast!

Yeah it will be hard to keep the win streak going playing like this. But hey, like @Empoleon8771 said if you can win when you're bad then that's a good sign of a strong team.

That is assuming we have another level to actually reach lol.

Reactions: Peat

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Even if ERod comes back, he's gotta keep this Crosby line. Sub in Tanev for Kap with G if you have to keep the "he's not up to speed yet" attitude.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Seeing Lafreniere and Kakko just reminds me how lucky we were to get Crosby and Malkin. Not that those two won’t be great players, but ours were immediate franchise changers.

KK has been good so far this year. It is weird though how Hughes and Lafreniere have both had tough first years. Hughes looks really good so far this year though. Maybe Lafreniere will go through the same transition.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah IMO priorities are

1) Getting a system, any system that the guys will actually play
2) Playing like we want to win every shift
3) Lineup choices
4) Individual play

I doubt that system exists.

We have seen lazy forward play for long stretches in the past. Especially supporting defensively.

Unfortunately some of the worst offenders are the ones paid the most.

It is not a bad system. It is players refusing to do the important little things for long stretches. Until that changes no system will make a difference.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah it will be hard to keep the win streak going playing like this. But hey, like @Empoleon8771 said if you can win when you're bad then that's a good sign of a strong team.

That is assuming we have another level to actually reach lol.
We play the Bruins next, We'll get an early test from arguably the best team in the division.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's a good thing if they have good play in them and are going to unleash that near the playoffs instead of now.

It's a bad thing if this is simply what they are and more wins = more Sullivan.

I don’t care what they do in the playoffs (their last dozen games tell us it won’t be much)... just get there and don’t give Minny a top ten pick.

As long as this season is enjoyable and they make the playoffs, I don’t much care what happens after the reg season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad