Speculation: The Coaching Thread

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Francis is one of the better comparisons I've seen for strome.

The chip stuff isn't just about his total toi it's when he's used. I think this year has shown tip is willing to change some things, which is why I haven't been harping about him. In vital situations he still has a tendency to go back to his old ways though like putting in security blanket players (chip) who aren't the best option, or going super passive late in games.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The chip stuff isn't just about his total toi it's when he's used. I think this year has shown tip is willing to change some things, which is why I haven't been harping about him. In vital situations he still has a tendency to go back to his old ways though like putting in security blanket players (chip) who aren't the best option, or going super passive late in games.

And worst of all, his dump and chase, trap style is piss boring and not even fun to watch. That's probably the most annoying part of all.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And worst of all, his dump and chase, trap style is piss boring and not even fun to watch. That's probably the most annoying part of all.

It seems like the offensive plan right now is "bounce it off the glass, hope it goes to Boedker/Domi/Duclair in space" or "Dump it in, hope for a mistake by the defense"

A more wide open style with the talent coming through the pipeline would be too good to be true.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Where exactly did you have the Coyotes finishing this year?
We all know this is a rebuilding year, and I have and probably others said this is going to be a roller coaster season with stretches of loses and stretches of head scratching wins. We aren't a cup contender where a seven game losing streak should never happen. You have to look at the long term picture. Patience is key here.

Where did you have the Coyotes finishing this year?
How are the players regressing?

Can't wait for these answers.:)

Nice. I guess XX is right. We have a players coach in DT.:nod:

You think?

XX thinks he knows everything Coyotes, from ownership and their financials, FO personal, GM, coach, players. etc.

I really don't see why blame is thrown around at this time. This is a rebuild, expect 3-5 yrs. of this

Yes, I agree. Your last sentence hit the nail on the head, but reading most anti DT posters, they are looking at the short term.

Why do you always go back four or five years?

We all know, or I guess most of us do that the Coyotes were in survival mode in those years. Last year was the first year of somewhat stable ownership and the franchise as a whole has made substantial strides. We are rebuilding, we still do not have the talent of most teams so this will take time. The next few years should be exciting times for the team and fans.

Yup.:nod: Like I mentioned earlier, your wasting your time.

I think your wrong. I think all were very happy when DT was hired, not sure about DM though.

:laugh: That explains a lot of things.

Prove it. Your thinking is total assumption.

Quick question. Not to be rude, but have you considered the multi quote function?

Any reason why you don't use it? Genuinely curious!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Quick question. Not to be rude, but have you considered the multi quote function?

Rude, that I need to scroll almost a whole page of quotes to read your post, which has nothing at all to do with the content of all those quoted posts.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have been a critic of GMDM, not of Tippet. I ask myself, which coaches could have made a significant improvement in our team record over the past 3 years, given the same roster and circumstances. I can't think of one who has been available.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Rude, that I need to scroll almost a whole page of quotes to read your post, which has nothing at all to do with the content of all those quoted posts.

Had the posts not been made, he wouldn't have had to quote them. Your annoyance of them just supports his point that it clutters the thread.

Not that I care, but if we are going to be contrarian, I figured I might as well play along.

Personally, I don't know how the hell to use the multi-quote function. So more power to Jakey.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I ask myself, which coaches could have made a significant improvement in our team record over the past 3 years, given the same roster and circumstances. I can't think of one who has been available.

Not about the record.

Personally, I don't know how the hell to use the multi-quote function. So more power to Jakey.

Click "multi" on the posts you want to quote and then just hit reply like normal.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That's the problem. The situation has changed dramatically. He's no longer coaching a scrappy team full of veterans with nothing to lose, yet he treats the roster the same way. You bring up 09-10 and think that's some sort of "gotcha" question when the two situations are completely different.

You'd have to be a really silly person to think that a playoff team or contender should be coached the same way as a bottom five rebuilding team. It's the Chip over Martinook problem.

I don't know where you percieve contradictions. I liked Tippett's approach when it brought results and was appropriate for the situation. I'm free to dislike his approach when organizational needs dictate a change in style. Do you not understand the concept of context?

Philosophies of coaching remain the same. There may be small adjustments given the player talent. Look at other sports - it holds true as well. Phil Jackson and the triangle offense. Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. Just b/c a team is veteran-laden or has a lot of rookies doesn't drive a huge difference in your coaching philosophy. It just may mean how quickly the players pick up the system's nuances. That also helps determine ice time.

Compare our rebuild (in its infancy) with the Oilers. The Oilers have had a far better talent pool to choose from, by virtue of the #1 picks. But the players were just run out there and told to learn on the fly, with a lack of veteran help. Sometimes, just putting someone out there for the sake of their talent level doesn't always jive. I feel way more confident that the players are getting thrown into the game much more effectively under Tippett. There will be growing pains on the defensive end - you are implementing a lot of new players to a system. But in a shorter amount of time than a team like the Oilers, we are going to see dividends.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

To piss you off.:) Been asked that question before and have answered it. I guess you may not have read my response, so let me explain. I usually don't have time to come on these boards and post multiple post like some others, so I start off thinking I will respond to only one or two but get carried away and respond to more. Sorry if I pissed you off.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have been a critic of GMDM, not of Tippet. I ask myself, which coaches could have made a significant improvement in our team record over the past 3 years, given the same roster and circumstances. I can't think of one who has been available.

I agree, but I will go one step further. I believe the NHL ownership of the team has hand cuffed DM on all levels.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I agree, but I will go one step further. I believe the NHL ownership of the team has hand cuffed DM on all levels.

Agreed. We also hit home runs with our free agents, and that regressed over the past few years. I think we have realized that an organizational shift needed to happen and that we couldn't always get the most out of our free agents, as we did in years past.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
To piss you off.:) Been asked that question before and have answered it. I guess you may not have read my response, so let me explain. I usually don't have time to come on these boards and post multiple post like some others, so I start off thinking I will respond to only one or two but get carried away and respond to more. Sorry if I pissed you off.

No I just didn't see it. I've been here a while but I don't come to often if I'm busy (99% of the time).

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Philosophies of coaching remain the same. There may be small adjustments given the player talent. Look at other sports - it holds true as well. Phil Jackson and the triangle offense. Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. Just b/c a team is veteran-laden or has a lot of rookies doesn't drive a huge difference in your coaching philosophy. It just may mean how quickly the players pick up the system's nuances. That also helps determine ice time.

Compare our rebuild (in its infancy) with the Oilers. The Oilers have had a far better talent pool to choose from, by virtue of the #1 picks. But the players were just run out there and told to learn on the fly, with a lack of veteran help. Sometimes, just putting someone out there for the sake of their talent level doesn't always jive. I feel way more confident that the players are getting thrown into the game much more effectively under Tippett. There will be growing pains on the defensive end - you are implementing a lot of new players to a system. But in a shorter amount of time than a team like the Oilers, we are going to see dividends.

Agreed, just because we have a group of younger more gifted forwards, it is not going to change Tip's or any other coaches philosophy

Lyotes

Aug 8, 2012
Arizona
I think the most frustrating thing to me is the stubborness of the coaching staff. Look at the point on the power play. They don't try any other set up. Same players making the same mistakes on the blue line. Last nights two short handed chances on the same power play.....it's not working. Yet they refuse to change it. By now you think they would realize boedker and stone is not working.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think the most frustrating thing to me is the stubborness of the coaching staff. Look at the point on the power play. They don't try any other set up. Same players making the same mistakes on the blue line. Last nights two short handed chances on the same power play.....it's not working. Yet they refuse to change it. By now you think they would realize boedker and stone is not working.

It's not a system problem. It's sloppy play causing all these short handed chances. We don't have good point men on the team outside of OEL, and he's a turn over machine this year anyway. Sometimes it really is the players.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's not a system problem. It's sloppy play causing all these short handed chances. We don't have good point men on the team outside of OEL, and he's a turn over machine this year anyway. Sometimes it really is the players.

I think he's saying it's' the players, but wants them to try different players. Set up meaning the guys who are manning the point not the PP system in this situation, but I could be wrong.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think he's saying it's' the players, but wants them to try different players. Set up meaning the guys who are manning the point not the PP system in this situation, but I could be wrong.

Possibly, but this is very similar to the points that had been conveyed previously. At certain times, we may have to make a decision to play the "bad" or "average" play b/c our options behind may be just as "bad" or "average."

The player who acts as the point man with OEL is one of those cases. Not certain that I want a rookie forward back there, although as one of our last lines of defense, it couldn't get much worse.

But I don't think that we are entirely awful either. Seems like we get panicky against an aggressive PK. When we panic, we usually stop moving our feet and just try to work the puck around using passing alone. Or put the puck in an area with less available space relative to other areas of the ice.

Elliott actually did not look horrible out there and maybe he gets a chance more often. There was some creativity to the puck movement on his part, and he got the puck to open spaces...

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Sorry not the system. The players. Try different players!

Starting with the points, who should he try, when the defenseman choices come down to the likes of Murphy, Dahlbeck, Grossmann, etc? Down low, it's not much better. I never thought I'd miss Martin Erat, but he was a decent forward on the PP last season. That's how limited the power play unit choices are this season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Sorry the change in players has failed. The Head Coach. Try a different Head Coach.

Technically, the PP unit is primarily coached by Newell Brown, who has actually been much favored when discussing any one of our coaches. If this comment is not stemming from the PP, and is just a general overall comment, plenty of people are willing to blow up the coaching and front office. Just going to suck when player inconsistency plays out in a new coaching staff as well. Then all hell will break loose on the coaching discussion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Possibly, but this is very similar to the points that had been conveyed previously. At certain times, we may have to make a decision to play the "bad" or "average" play b/c our options behind may be just as "bad" or "average."

The player who acts as the point man with OEL is one of those cases. Not certain that I want a rookie forward back there, although as one of our last lines of defense, it couldn't get much worse.

But I don't think that we are entirely awful either. Seems like we get panicky against an aggressive PK. When we panic, we usually stop moving our feet and just try to work the puck around using passing alone. Or put the puck in an area with less available space relative to other areas of the ice.

Elliott actually did not look horrible out there and maybe he gets a chance more often. There was some creativity to the puck movement on his part, and he got the puck to open spaces...

I agree. On the PP our puck movement is pretty good in most cases, but either we are standing still or we take a hour to shoot the puck. We are allowing the opposition to set up their PK because of our hesitation. What ever happened to the ''one timer"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad