Speculation: The Coaching Thread

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Coyotes lost an absolute gong show against a shorthanded Columbus team - the worst in the league - after being well rested and multiple practices.

What needs to be done?
Who needs to be brought in?

What is your plan for fixing the front office?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
GMDM can stay. He's made some shrewd moves... scouting department seems better.

But his two major mistakes, Riberio and Smith, are big enough to warrant a firing. But I think he's been especially good on all other contracts. OEL, Hanzal, etc. Lots of salary room to play with.

Tippet needs to go. Four years of losing is far too much.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Honestly the first person I'd love to see on a plane out of AZ right now is Jim Playfair. The defensive structure of this team has been nothing short of a joke with him in charge, and seemingly nothing has changed. You can chalk up as many personal player mistakes as possible, but time and time again they've simply let the opposition run riot in our D zone, walking into the slot and having a damn field day. Fire Playfair, bring somebody in who actually knows what the hell they're doing with defense, and if that doesn't work, clean house.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not have garbage in net?

Goalies haven't been at fault most nights.

The D outside of OEL is pathetic, and OEL himself isn't playing well. Bottom six outside of Martinook isn't contributing much.

Does this team look anything like what an on-point Dave Tippett team looks like?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
When it comes to the coaching staff, I'd like to see every single one of them fired, except maybe Newell Brown (if this powerplay keeps it up, fire him too).

As for Maloney, while he's made some extremely savvy moves in the last calendar year, he also managed to hilariously slip on every banana peel thrown in his direction, from the offseason after we went to the Conference Finals up until about the 2015 trade deadline. If he stays, fine. If he goes, I won't be losing any sleep.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Honestly the first person I'd love to see on a plane out of AZ right now is Jim Playfair. The defensive structure of this team has been nothing short of a joke with him in charge, and seemingly nothing has changed. You can chalk up as many personal player mistakes as possible, but time and time again they've simply let the opposition run riot in our D zone, walking into the slot and having a damn field day. Fire Playfair, bring somebody in who actually knows what the hell they're doing with defense, and if that doesn't work, clean house.

This. Our defense has gone from being the only good thing about this team to being the absolute worst part of it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Brown in the interim until the end of the season.

I want:
- Ulf (great with young D)
- Guy Boucher (closest thing to Klopp hockey has)
- Bruce Boudreau

In that order. Keep Brown, his problems are a function of personnel, mostly.

I can't think of any good GM replacements, and I'd want a damn good one to replace Maloney. I think he's an excellent trader but he's gunshy, and seems to overreact to mistakes. One bad NTC? No NTCs for anyone!

DT has probably threatened to ride out his contract if he is fired, knowing the Coyotes can't pay two coaches at once.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Playfair needs to go.

I give Tip 2 more years to right the ship. By thanksgiving next year, if this team isn't close enough to a playoff spot (i.e. 9th or better,) he gets the axe or, if the team is competitive, he gets another year to take them to the playoffs. If he doesn't take them to the playoffs, his time is up here.

GMDM is a shrewd trader and his drafting record over the past few years is looking nice. It's up to the development staff now to make the kids as NHL ready and Caliber as possible.

However, he can't screw up again in contract negotiations. The Smith and Riberio contracts hurt. If you see him give out another poor contract like those, expect to see Darcy Regier as the GM in a few years.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I'll leave it here. Who is everyone's first choice for a coach if tip gets the x?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I'll leave it here. Who is everyone's first choice for a coach if tip gets the x?

Paul MacLean
Guy Boucher
Dale Hunter
Benoit Groulx

All 4 would be interesting candidates.

MacLean- Prior experience working with a budget team
Boucher- Offensive prowess (despite 1-3-1)
Hunter and Groulx- 2 guys who basically know the majority of the kids in the system. Either one would make an excellent coach for this young and coming team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Before we fire all coaches/DM, does anyone still think Smith is horrible, still think we should still trade Hanzal, and that we don't need Z? We obviously don't need any of them based on tonight's performance. And, what was DM thinking a few days ago when he was considering looking around for goal tending help?

If Houdini is available, lets hire him, that's what it would take.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
The 1-3-1 was brilliant because there's no rule against it. I want a coach that will try some weird **** from time to time, instead of playing the same thing every year, for every game.

Just watch this

Why don't we just trade all the kids for vets and hire Jacques Lemaire? He is the most uber defensive coach of all time

Neutral Zone Trap our way to the cup. The Devils did it :D

Who doesn't love watching 2-1 games with lots of plodding around the ice? :D

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
They need a change for changes sake at this point. Whatever DT is doing isn't working. I'm not even bashing DT, necessarily. It is just a reality that coaches have a shelf life with certain teams and DT has likely lived past his.

A new voice, a new system, a new strategy; that's what this team seems to need.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The 1-3-1 isn't necessarily a 'conservative' strategy, and Guy Boucher isn't solely a defensive coach. He's more likely to coach a high scoring team than Tippett is. He just correctly noticed that there's no rule against not pressing when you have no chance to get the puck. So many teams send one or two forecheckers forward when there's no point. The other side to that was when Tampa sensed an opportunity to gain possession, they pressed hard.

I mostly want an innovator or a thinker that isn't a dogma-spewing dinosaur.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Before we fire all coaches/DM, does anyone still think Smith is horrible, still think we should still trade Hanzal, and that we don't need Z? We obviously don't need any of them based on tonight's performance. And, what was DM thinking a few days ago when he was considering looking around for goal tending help?

If Houdini is available, lets hire him, that's what it would take.

I think you keep the staff until the end of the season. Some great candidates to consider for next season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
OK, please back away from the ledge. Your mother is being brought to the building.

This is just one game in a rebuild year, my friends. I was disgusted watching it, but just a bit of perspective would be nice.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OK, please back away from the ledge. Your mother is being brought to the building.

This is just one game in a rebuild year, my friends. I was disgusted watching it, but just a bit of perspective would be nice.

Here's your perspective:

Tippett has won 47% of 515 Coyotes games coached
Gretzky won 44% of 328 Coyotes games coached

One is regarded as a great coach with tough luck, and the other is mocked as one of the worst head coaches in NHL history. If anyone looks at these numbers and acts as though it's proof that Gretzky was underrated rather than Tippett being overrated, that person is a straight up moron.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Here's your perspective:

That was a testament to Gretzky's assistant coaches, who ran the team until TGO flew back from SoCal the afternoon of the games. There's a lot more to the picture than just a simple win percentage here.

Perhaps Tippet has lost the locker room. I don't know. I do know that at .500 we are overachieving for our talent level.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I also didn't realize that a defensive hockey club being 29th in goals against was considered overachieving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad