The Coaching Thread Part I // Trotz, Torts, Carlyle.. Who will it be?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Caryle's staying, better be changing 90% of the players..........

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
Wow, I don't even know what I would do if they decided to keep Carlyle. Epic collapses, horrible possession numbers, big offensive steps back for several guys, inability to adapt...if they don't fire Carlyle now, are they just going to give him a lifetime contract? Can't see how much worse it could get.

And if they do keep Carlyle, that means they're blaming the players. In which case, how can guys like Phaneuf stay?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Carlyle said a young defensemen was upset his leash was short at the end of the year and he was shocked at who the player compared himself too.

It was more likely about Franson, who's minutes were significantly reduced at the end of the year. If you watched the games, no way you think that is about Gardiner, Gardiner's leash got longer, not shorter at the end of the year

Yeah, it was most likely about Franson. People associated Carlyles comment about the player having a "rover" style and being young with Gardiner. But for Carlyle Franson is probably a young defender as well and even do he is not really the rover kind he did try to play like that at the beginning of the season.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Wow, I don't even know what I would do if they decided to keep Carlyle. Epic collapses, horrible possession numbers, big offensive steps back for several guys, inability to adapt...if they don't fire Carlyle now, are they just going to give him a lifetime contract? Can't see how much worse it could get.

And if they do keep Carlyle, that means they're blaming the players. In which case, how can guys like Phaneuf stay?

Perhaps they want a shot at McDavid :naughty:

Then fire Carlyle and begin a new era with CMD :)

Kyle Doobas*

That was one of the most fire-able seasons I've ever seen. This can't be for real. They allowed more shots against than any team in the history of the NHL and were outplayed/out-chanced/whatever you want to call it for at least 75 of the 82 games. Compound that with numerous players having issues with Carlyle, and there's just absolutely no way they can keep him here.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I don't see why they won't fire him, things couldn't have gone worse the past two seasons. Two of the biggest collapses in sports history and the coach gets to keep his job? That just does not make any sense. Espically with all the quality options available.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
here is how i'm seeing it.

Every GM has a get out of jail free card: Firing the Coach.

If Nonis talked Shanahan into keeping Carlyle (onus on players blah blah, he can change his system, blah blah, we'll work the kids, yada yada), Nonis now has no more cards to play. he'll have to go down with the ship. if we stumble down the gate or do a horrid swoon - BOTH are gone. (and in my estimation that would mean the entire Burke Regime).

again - that works for me. then new gm, new coach, let's go.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON

If Nonis talked Shanahan into keeping Carlyle (onus on players blah blah, he can change his system, blah blah, we'll work the kids, yada yada), Nonis now has no more cards to play. he'll have to go down with the ship. if we stumble down the gate or do a horrid swoon - BOTH are gone. (and in my estimation that would mean the entire Burke Regime).

Yea this could be true. Shanahan keeps Carlyle and lets him and Nonis figure things out. If they fail, clean house. New GM new Coach.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011

That's the problem tho, the Leafs keep doing this vicious cycle of having a coach and GM come in and do nothing to build this team with solid prospects and talent that can play hard nosed hockey. Why would TL bring Shanny in to sit there at status quo and watch this team continue to crap the bed. Shanahan apparently had knee surgery last week and Nonis was out in Finland, now it's time for Shanny to make major changes.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
We could keep Carlyle for one more year and then hire Babcock (as per Greg Brady).

That's the dumbest statement by Brady, that's like saying we hang on to Clarkson for one more season then trade him to create cap space to sign Stamkos. Both are not going anywhere, and more than likely resigning with their current teams.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't see why they won't fire him, things couldn't have gone worse the past two seasons. Two of the biggest collapses in sports history and the coach gets to keep his job? That just does not make any sense. Espically with all the quality options available.

Agreed
The Leafs had some expasion-team like stats and while we definitely need a roster shake-up, the coaches should be held accountable too.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not sure we have the management (GM and supporting cast) thing worked out yet. Obviously, some time is required before a valid evaluation can be made given the recent hiring of Shanny.

But, I'm from Missouri on this. Its still a "show me" situation IMHO.

So, coaching is one change that needs to be made. Unfortunately, there are many others, and I think starting at the top is always the key.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We could keep Carlyle for one more year and then hire Babcock (as per Greg Brady).

Babcock isnt coming here.

Why does Babcock want to come here again? Maybe there is some evidence or info out there that supports this and I missed it?

I can more easily see reasons why Babcock would remain where he is and want to AVOID coming to the train wreck known as the Toronto Maple Leafs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The plot thickens ...
http://www.thescore.com/news/497971

Carlyle shouldn't be back, unless the idea is to tank for McDavid.
McDavid plan in full effect.

here's your man ...
w640xh480_USPW_081894.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad