The chase for the playoffs (standings, scoreboard watching, and, of course, sagacious commentary)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
How are you coping with the fact Elvis has been just as good as Korpi ?

giphy.gif

Reactions: DarkandStormy

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Better coaches have been fired.
This year or in history? In history of course the best get fired just like he has before. This year? Id like to see their career numbers next to Torts to prove that.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't have a dog in this fight. Elvis hasn't been as good as korpi. He's been good enough though.

Last 5 starts for each goalie, both have a .940 save %. It would appear both goalies thrive as being the #1 option, and neither are all that good as a backup (though sample size caveats apply to Elvis more than Korpi).

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Last 5 starts for each goalie, both have a .940 save %. It would appear both goalies thrive as being the #1 option, and neither are all that good as a backup (though sample size caveats apply to Elvis more than Korpi).
This.

Before Korpisalo got hurt, Elvis didn't have an NHL win. Suddenly, he's the emergency #1, and he's getting a string of games, and he's in a rhythm and playing well. He hasn't proven he can do it long-term yet.

Of course, he's also a rookie who struggled in his first few NHL games. Stop me if you've heard THAT one before.

In short... who knows, really.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This.

Before Korpisalo got hurt, Elvis didn't have an NHL win. Suddenly, he's the emergency #1, and he's getting a string of games, and he's in a rhythm and playing well. He hasn't proven he can do it long-term yet.

Of course, he's also a rookie who struggled in his first few NHL games. Stop me if you've heard THAT one before.

1) Elvis and Korpi both need starter-type work to be any good.

2) Elvis wasn't getting enough work to adapt to the NHL/NA game with Korpi as the starter, but now that he has, he's ready whenever called upon.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This.

I’m not sure Korpisalo has proven it long term either. Unless you consider 6 weeks long term.

By the time he’s healthy they both might be riding 6 week streaks of playing well.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
This year or in history? In history of course the best get fired just like he has before. This year? Id like to see their career numbers next to Torts to prove that.
Babcock this year. Laviolette this year. Both better than Torts.

Injuries forced Torts hand in playing the young guns and spreading minutes.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Babcock this year. Laviolette this year. Both better than Torts.

Injuries forced Torts hand in playing the young guns and spreading minutes.
And Torts has done an excellent job playing the hand he’s been dealt........What Torts has done is he’s getting a lot more out of less talent than those two got out of more.

As an aside.....Babcock’s time was yesteryear; and I’ve always thought Laviolette was a notch overvalued.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Torts really isn't spreading the minutes around. He is coaching the same way he has been, only difference is that they are winning. Some of it is the call ups, but most of it is guys that were up here turning their seasons around. Gerbe and Stenlund are the only two call ups getting good minutes. Gerbe is playing above normal and is earning them. Stenlund gets more time because he is being used on the PP. He has a couple goals, which is good, but 5 on 5 he is mediocre. If he wants to stay after the injuries start coming back, he needs to be better 5 on 5 or his minutes will go down. As far as Korpi goes, he hasn't proved any long term play yet as this is his first real opportunity. When he is healthy he goes back to being the top guy until it is shown he isn't. The only difference would be Elvis would get a game in the back to backs as he is starting to show he can play at this level. If you were to start splitting games between them, you are probably hurting things more than helping.

Reactions: cslebn

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Yeah both have been great for sure. I agree. I don't mean it to be a slight against Elvis.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Panarin on pace for 116 points playing with Strome and Fast. Dzingle on pace for 50, Duchene for 60. Why is is that everyone produces more when they play elsewhere?? Hmm.

Oh yeah I forgot, Sedlak is top6 in KHL goals.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Panarin on pace for 116 points playing with Strome and Fast. Dzingle on pace for 50, Duchene for 60. Why is is that everyone produces more when they play elsewhere?? Hmm.

Panarin's team is behind us in the standings. Dzingle's is only two points ahead of us. Duchene's coach just got fired.

I don't care how much they're scoring.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Duchene scoring 60 and Dzingel 50 doesn't keep me up at night, they're not difference makers by any means. Duchene is historically a 60 point player (he had 10 pts in 10 playoff games here). It's not like he's exploding on the scene in Nashville. In fact, people are already complaining about him. Dzingel is a bit player who will end up with about 45 pts this season.

Sedlak isn't an NHL player.

Panarin was always going to hurt (it's why we offered him 100 MILLION DOLLARS) and I can't believe we're still discussing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad