The chase for the playoffs (standings, scoreboard watching, and, of course, sagacious commentary)

pled

Sep 7, 2009
This is nice.

Even if it doesn't last till the end of the season we can enjoy it for now.

Still beat all expectations already.

Probably doesn't require a thread but I'm hyped up anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madifer

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's truly a fantastic story, no matter how it ends.

They have gotten pretty lucky at times on this run but man its enjoyable to watch.

Nathan Gerbe is like the definition of the CBJ this year. Counted out, down early, but once he got the opportunity to make a run he's taken it.

Very exciting that we have some awesome pieces going forward in PLD, Jones, Werenski, Bjorkstrand. If Anderson and Texier return to form when they get back to injuries the better. I also think Bemstrom has more to give.

We seem set in net with both Elvis and Korpi. I'm glad to have them

Reactions: Fred Glover

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
We're sitting at 50 points with 38 games to go. If the magic number to get into the playoffs is 97, that would mean we would have to have some variation of 23-14-1. A missed point here and a missed point there, this is where all of those squandered opportunities throughout the year may come back to haunt a team.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We're sitting at 50 points with 38 games to go. If the magic number to get into the playoffs is 97, that would mean we would have to have some variation of 23-14-1. A missed point here and a missed point there, this is where all of those squandered opportunities throughout the year may come back to haunt a team.

Current pace is for 95 to be the cutoff, fwiw.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Says a lot about Torts as a coach and says a lot about thise wanting him fired early season on their judgements of him as a coach

This has been his most impressive job as a coach here, imo. I think it also speaks to the depth Jarmo has built that this team hasn't wilted like they did in '14-'15 under similar circumstances.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
All right. I don't want to make someone cry but are there real people who are counting wild card positions after 44 GP?

As I was watching the game I started to feel weird. There is something I don't like about all of this but I don't know what.
Are those the chaotic plays from Jackets or something? Anyone else has some symptom?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
All right. I don't want to make someone cry but are there real people who are counting wild card positions after 44 GP?

As I was watching the game I started to feel weird. There is something I don't like about all of this but I don't know what.
Are those the chaotic plays from Jackets or something? Anyone else has some symptom?

Lol you must be new here :D

Reactions: thebus88

pled

Sep 7, 2009

people are making ranking and counting position before the season even start

after lots of the media "expert" though cbj would be dead last just being in contention for playoff is quite refreshing.

also after years of non playoff team any playoff worthy team is exciting.

also if phi lost today cbj officially move in the wc2 spot. go Washington :naughty:

Reactions: cslebn and thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If people (CBJ "fans") are allowed to write off the season after 10-20-30 games, because of numbers and facts, why cant the CBJ positive posters make the same statistically accurate comments after game 40?

I still had complete faith in the team all the way up until losing Bjorkstrand and Korpisalo. What has happened since then is proof that the "Fire Jarmo/Torts" threads are a joke and shouldn't exist, let alone have the amount of posts and types of posts that they do.

Still a lot of season left, but, it seems the CBJ are preparing another serving for the naysayers ONCE AGAIN!!

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I had no expectations going into this season and still don't. My best case senario for this year was for them to get good looks at who they have in the fold so that when the offseason hits they can have a good idea of what is needed to improve. This year has gone way better than expected, but unfortuneately a few guys had to get hurt. The upside is we are getting extended looks at guys that wouldn't have been here if not for the injuries. I am pleased with the way the young guys are playing, and with the coaching staff in place in Cleveland, they have competent guys there to help players develop. The goalie and defenceman situation looks good. Hopefully Jarmo proves his worth and addresses the lack of goal scoring by the forwards. All in all, I think they are in pretty good shape. If they make the playoffs, that is just a bonus. I just want them to play solid hockey the rest of the year, and what happens, happens.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Including those who doubted Elvis:naughty:

The amount of time Korpisalo is out is still the most probable thing that will keep the CBJ out of the playoffs.

Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

Anybody who says they have increased confidence with Merzlikins in net is lying to me, or themselves. IMO.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The amount of time Korpisalo is out is still the most probable thing that will keep the CBJ out of the playoffs.

Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

Anybody who says they have increased confidence with Merzlikins in net is lying to me, or themselves. IMO.

C'mon, I'm happy both have played well. You took the accolades for backing Korpi, you need to give some credit to Elvis for stepping up.

Reactions: Reynys and Viqsi

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As a resident half-empty poster, do any of the half full guys realize that the star studded roster that sucked was the primary reason for the fire Torts thread? And that a bunch of energetic, hustling, callups were the catalyst for the remarkable streak the Jackets are now on? To me it is great the Jackets have battled back into playoff position but the regulars will have to keep it going to make the playoffs. I'll believe that when I see it.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
As a resident half-empty poster, do any of the half full guys realize that the star studded roster that sucked was the primary reason for the fire Torts thread? And that a bunch of energetic, hustling, callups were the catalyst for the remarkable streak the Jackets are now on? To me it is great the Jackets have battled back into playoff position but the regulars will have to keep it going to make the playoffs. I'll believe that when I see it.

I just drink right from the keg so I have no idea what you're talking about.

But I don't think it's crazy to think that adding back a regular here, a regular there isn't going to take the train off the rails. I would think they're anxious to get back to it and I would also think they can do that without sucking the energy out of the room. Are these guys suddenly cancers because of a lackluster string of games early in the year?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

You are right to a degree but your mischaracterization of positions held at the time weakens your point.

No one, least of all the half-fullers, thought the roster was star-studded. In fact, we had a fire Jarmo thread in which people were incredulous that he could have gone into the season with so many gaps in the roster. (It's funny that none of them are using the streak as a point to prove that the roster was deficient because look at what guys supposedly not-as-good are doing. But instead, there's just more naysaying.)

I agree that it remains to be seen how the season progresses, no matter who's in the lineup.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

The advanced stat adherents would probably look at the last 15 games and say that the CBJ shooting percentages will regress to their norms (of the previous 25 games or last year-take your pick) as will save percentages.

This streak will end. If anything, it's proved that the "core" CBJ players aren't much to get excited about and are very expendable.

I'm waiting for some Ryan Murray with/without W/L stats:laugh:

Reactions: EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->