The chase for the playoffs (standings, scoreboard watching, and, of course, sagacious commentary)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If people (CBJ "fans") are allowed to write off the season after 10-20-30 games, because of numbers and facts, why cant the CBJ positive posters make the same statistically accurate comments after game 40?
I would argue that neither is particularly reasonable.

* * *​
The advanced stat adherents would probably look at the last 15 games and say that the CBJ shooting percentages will regress to their norms (of the previous 25 games or last year-take your pick) as will save percentages.

This streak will end. If anything, it's proved that the "core" CBJ players aren't much to get excited about and are very expendable.
Undoubtedly this streak is unusual (as much as I'm enjoying it ;) ). I would posit, however, that the streak of ugliness that started the season was likewise unusual, despite some folks proposing sweeping conclusions otherwise (to borrow your SH% example, recall how ludicrously low the team's shooting percentage was earlier in the season). We're seeing the happy side of regression to the mean. We're probably not regularly as good as we're showing right now, but we weren't as bad as we looked in October and November either.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No one, least of all the half-fullers, thought the roster was star-studded. In fact, we had a fire Jarmo thread in which people were incredulous that he could have gone into the season with so many gaps in the roster. (It's funny that none of them are using the streak as a point to prove that the roster was deficient because look at what guys supposedly not-as-good are doing. But instead, there's just more naysaying.)

Cheerlead on this roster at your own peril.:DD

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Baked, Boiled or Fried???

Grilled. Korpisalo gets the crease the SECOND he's healthy enough. :popcorn:

As a resident half-empty poster, do any of the half full guys realize that the star studded roster that sucked was the primary reason for the fire Torts thread? And that a bunch of energetic, hustling, callups were the catalyst for the remarkable streak the Jackets are now on? To me it is great the Jackets have battled back into playoff position but the regulars will have to keep it going to make the playoffs. I'll believe that when I see it.

"Star studded roster"....? :amazed:

"Sucked"?......OR had trouble scoring goals?

I guess we can debate the semantics of "catalyst", but, I also find the idea that "the callups" are the only ones responsible for the winning pretty laughable. What about all the other regulars that have been healthy? :dunno:

The Fire Torts threads are YEARS OLD. They occur every year. You know what else occurs every year with Torts as the coach....the PLAYOFFS. You guys have already seen it, and you're right, you wont believe it until all of FLA/NYR/PHI/BUF games in hand are spent and the CBJ have literally clinched a playoff spot. :pullhair:

"Conn Smythe" Korpisalo does have a nice ring to it. :propeller

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
C'mon, I'm happy both have played well. You took the accolades for backing Korpi, you need to give some credit to Elvis for stepping up.

Nothing about being "happy" or giving "credit", I just personally feel Korpisalo is a MUCH better goalie and gives the CBJ team a MUCH better chance to win games and gain points, over 1 game or 1 month.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
There's other teams that have done good things through adversity this year, so while he might be in the conversation, I suspect we'd have to make the playoffs for it to be a real possibility.

True, but while Sullivan and Pitt (12-3-1 last 15) get all the national pub it would be nice to say "oh hey that team that we picked to finish last in the Metro, we'll they've got just as many injuries (and no Malkin) and have put up 9-1-4 as well with a 12 game point streak in there."

The NHL.com mid year awards was a bit of joke, but yes the premise for any award would have to be the playoffs for sure.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As much as a bubble finish would kill chances of landing a high draft pick, I think the team being competitive has many advantages.

Namely, the positive development of the young guys and - more importantly - hopefully keeping key players like Werenski, PLD, and Jones happy.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Says a lot about Torts as a coach and says a lot about thise wanting him fired early season on their judgements of him as a coach

That topic is sad and funny yes.

The road ahead is empty, its paved by miles of the unknown.

And I like the new miles more and more. I hope Jarmo handles the trades well.

The Jackets could end up in the playoffs this year yet its never going to be a contender this time.

If all goes well, the Jackets could get back to being a menace to any team maybe as early as next year or maybe in several years.

Overall: the worst seems to he over and there are no indications that the team could get back to October/November level.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm impressed with what this team has put together over the last 15 or so games with all the adversity. It's impressive that we are back in the mix for the wildcard. Points in 14 of 15 games (I think that is where we are at) is impressive for any team, even more so with our current roster.

We seem to really like adversity. The injuries could very well have proven to be providential.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I would argue that neither is particularly reasonable.

If I read what you replied to, it's actually quite reasonable to suggest that the odds were greatly against the Jackets. Generally if you are not in a playoff spot around game 41, historically it's a very tough hill to climb.

The great thing about this team and season is that we really have no idea what they are going to do next. As well as we are playing, it's safe to say that this roster isn't one of the top teams in the division, never mind the conference. I like winning through determination and heart, as well as being a tight team. It also means your room for error is pretty small.

I hope when we start getting players back they slide back in easily and we don't lose the beat. It's unlikely that we're going to do much at the deadline in the way of additions. I think we're look at, pretty much, what we are looking at for the test of the season.

This team is fun to support.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes I am. As I'm watching how Elvis plays all I see is Blue or White coated players and I don't know much about all of that. But I've been cheering for Jackets in play offs whenever that happens. But now I know what's up it seems.

#bringbackBoomer #bringbackDubi [MOD]

I love this team every year, for all the right and wrong reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If people (CBJ "fans") are allowed to write off the season after 10-20-30 games, because of numbers and facts, why cant the CBJ positive posters make the same statistically accurate comments after game 40?

I still had complete faith in the team all the way up until losing Bjorkstrand and Korpisalo. What has happened since then is proof that the "Fire Jarmo/Torts" threads are a joke and shouldn't exist, let alone have the amount of posts and types of posts that they do.

Still a lot of season left, but, it seems the CBJ are preparing another serving for the naysayers ONCE AGAIN!!
How are you coping with the fact Elvis has been just as good as Korpi ?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In 2019-20, the CBJ are 10-10-4 with Ryan Murray in the lineup. Without him they are 11-5-4.

Going back to last year's playoffs, they not only won a series without Murray, but have gone 17-9-4 without him.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I really like the fact that Duchene is eating black ice looking up at us in the standings.He is the one departed player that I can't stand.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I really like the fact that Duchene is eating black ice looking up at us in the standings.He is the one departed player that I can't stand.
even if you can stand the other 2, they are still looking up at columbus in the standings

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
While I have no idea how the second half will unfold, this has become an incredibly remarkable season. Every time a new injury has makes things seem worse, we get better. Last season was exciting; the goalies and Monsters have made this season pure fun. I’m enjoying it immensely.

I need to add this. While my style preference is a more wide open game, Torts tight checking hockey is a better formula for this team that’s less offensively prolific. And they played it well. The new guys have embraced it and executing more often than not. And I think Torts is enjoying it as immensely as me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The last 3 weeks of the season are:

at Boston
vs Washington
at Toronto
at NJ
at Rangers (back to back)
at Tampa
at Dallas (back to back)
vs Islanders
vs Tampa
at Carolina (back to back)

That is a tough end to the season.

I am enjoying the current ride. This is a fun team to watch and an easy team to cheer for. I am optimistic for the future. But I don’t think we make the playoffs with 7 of our last 10 on the road with 3 back to backs and games against 8 good teams.

I’d love to be wrong.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad