Post-Game Talk: the Champs at the Blooj | 2/12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Zero adjustments in tactics (minus pulling the goalie)
The same stick infractions
A listless team
Lack of caring

Yep, its not the coaching
It's an 82 game season. Coaches will intentionally let things ride out to see what really needs to be blown up and what is simply a slump.

There is not a single coach in the NHL who is making adjustments on a nightly basis, it does not happen, teams are not built to be altered that much mid-game. It's like expecting people to start improvising during a presentation at work that they spent 2 weeks preparing for.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I'll skip the Barry vs Todd debate... for now :popcorn:

I want to address the contented among us. I understand and you're entitled to your feelings. I believe SS posted he just wanted to make the playoffs and see Ovi hit 50G (and I assume another RR). Very similar to my goals for the team although I want to see them at least Metro #2.

Lately I spend more time in other teams GDTs. There's a similarity among most fan bases. Not near identical but a definite sameness.
Take Pitts page. They've recently won b2b SCs and three in the Crosby-Malkin era. Yet there they are moaning and grousing at many of the players and Sully b/c there only in a WC spot. They are as bad, maybe worse than we are, regardless of 3 SCs. Many Hawks fans acted much the same during their poor start. Not saying we should be the same, just an observation and food for thought.

They're playing better recently but still look like a r1 or at best r2 playoff exit. And making the playoffs is far from a near lock :dunno:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'll skip the Barry vs Todd debate... for now :popcorn:

I want to address the contented among us. I understand and you're entitled to your feelings. I believe SS posted he just wanted to make the playoffs and see Ovi hit 50G (and I assume another RR). Very similar to my goals for the team although I want to see them at least Metro #2.

I spend more time in other teams GDTs. There's a similarity among most fan bases. Not near identical but a definite sameness.
Take Pitts page. They've recently won b2b SCs and three in the Crosby-Malkin era. Yet there they are moaning and grousing at many of the players and Sully b/c there only in a WC spot. They are as bad, maybe worse than we are, regardless of 3 SCs. Many Hawks fans acted much the same during their poor start. Not saying we should be the same, just an observation and food for thought.

They're playing better recently but still look like a r1 or at best r2 playoff exit. And making the playoffs is from a near lock :dunno:
I would prefer if the Caps win. Every game. Every series. Every Cup. But after 43 years of watching them lose, I’m satisfied. Not forever, but for now. I get that fan bases that win a lot feel entitled to winning and don’t react well to losing. But that’s just because they don’t know what it really feels like to live with losing, IMO.

The idea that losing RS games—while also being at or near the top of the division all season, I might add—would be enough to make me unhappy after enduring decades of really losing is crazy to me. This ain’t shit.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Trotz's reputation for 20 years was that he was a choke artist who could not adjust int he playoffs. Now he's gone and people act like we bounced Scotty Bowman.

If the Caps don't win this year I don't think it's because Trotz is gone, I think it's because Trotz and Reirden are no longer a team. I'll buy into the idea that the guy was a necessary cog in our Cup machine. I will not believe that after 20 years of playing hockey the same way every spring he finally realized how to adjust and that had nothing to do with the guy who literally everyone around the team credited with the adjustments.
I do think there’s potentially something to this. Plus also Lambert. But they also blew 3 years’ of playoffs with that same group before last year.

Either way, folks need to realize that the reality is they are UNLIKELY to repeat. Not because of Reirden or Trotz but because the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. If they make the playoffs and play well but don’t win, I will draw no conclusions about it either way. I will just be happy that they were 2018 champs

Last edited:

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
It's an 82 game season. Coaches will intentionally let things ride out to see what really needs to be blown up and what is simply a slump.

There is not a single coach in the NHL who is making adjustments on a nightly basis, it does not happen, teams are not built to be altered that much mid-game. It's like expecting people to start improvising during a presentation at work that they spent 2 weeks preparing for.
Generally true, especially in the reg season. But Todd R worries me.
He has the fire and personality of a bank or insurance exec :boredom: He's on the opposite end of the spectrum from a Torts, Lavy, or the late Pat Burns.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I would prefer if the Caps win. Every game. Every series. Every Cup. But after 43 years of watching them lose, I’m satisfied. Not forever, but for now. I get that fan bases that win a lot feel entitled to winning and don’t react well to losing. But that’s just because they don’t know what it really feels like to live with losing, IMO.

The idea that losing RS games—while also being at or near the top of the division all season, I might add—would be enough to make me unhappy after enduring decades of really losing. This ain’t ****.
What really sucks is sitting 20 rows behind the Caps goal watching Hextall score an empty netter in the playoffs:)..Wonder how many on here could take that!

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
He has the fire and personality of a bank or insurance exec :boredom: He's on the opposite end of the spectrum from a Torts, Lavy, or the late Pat Burns.

Insert arms crossed and angry Kevin From the Office Look HERE

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’ll say this, I sure as hell don’t know how to fix what is ailing the Caps right now but it appears Reirden and the coaching staff don’t either.

I do however believe in BMac to make the right move or decision, so we shall see. You know the teams play is not sitting right with him.

I really don't understand what is the matter with some of you. Under the best of circumstances that game was a schedule defeat. I get whining about the losses in the losing streak. I understand wondering about some of the homestand games. But this game? Really??

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Ideally, I like to think that the players are still a bit ‘asleep’ and Todd is going through some growing pains as a coach. Personally, as long as we make the playoffs and perform, I won’t have any problem, despite inconsistent and lackluster play most of the year.

The fact that we won last year has completely eased my tensions - for better or worse!

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I really don't understand what is the matter with some of you. Under the best of circumstances that game was a schedule defeat. I get whining about the losses in the losing streak. I understand wondering about some of the homestand games. But this game? Really??
Difference between losing and not showing up my friend. I can accept losing but not with such a lackluster effort.

Reactions: Capitals40

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Difference between losing and not showing up my friend. I can accept losing but not with such a lackluster effort.

My experience is that most hockey fans are convinced that when their team loses that they didn't show up. My experience is that a lot of hockey fans see no reason why a team would be at a disadvantage playing the 2nd of a back to back. That its just an excuse. I didn't see the game. I saw that it was 1-0 well into the 3rd period. Seems to me they gave themselves a chance to win.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The best coaches can be a bank exec when needed and a Laviolette when needed. I actually liked Rierden’s calmness and matter of
factness in the beginning of the season, liked his interviews. But I feel like he’s looking more befuddled as the season goes on. But I think it’s fair to watch for the war outcome.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
My experience is that most hockey fans are convinced that when their team loses that they didn't show up. My experience is that a lot of hockey fans see no reason why a team would be at a disadvantage playing the 2nd of a back to back. That its just an excuse. I didn't see the game. I saw that it was 1-0 well into the 3rd period. Seems to me they gave themselves a chance to win.
The score doesn’t tell the story.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

The score doesn’t tell the story.
Holtby gave them a chance to win. He’s part of the team. It still counts. But yeah, the skaters were bad tonight.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Only because of Holtby..should have been losing by several goals after 2 periods..Caps had 7 total shots on goal after 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
True. Stats say otherwise though. By the grace of Holtbys play they were still in that game.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I've seen Reirden go off many times behind the bench. Both at his players and the refs.
I think it was something like this:

72nT.gif

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Bruce Boudreau was the most explosive coach in the league and it got us no where. Not really putting stock in coach persona

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County

The idea that losing RS games—while also being at or near the top of the division all season, I might add—would be enough to make me unhappy after enduring decades of really losing is crazy to me. This ain’t ****.

Essentially where I’m at except i still get mad when they play poorly. The difference for me is that after all this time of me being a fan, I actually know that they can turn it on. I know they are capable of playing big in big moments so to me, while losing a few RS games sucks, they have earned the benefit of the doubt that they’ll figure it out and be ready for the playoffs. After all the bitching and moaning I’ve given them over the years, they finally gave me what I asked for so I have to trust their abilities going forward.

Plus that’s way more fun than what I was doing the first 25 years of my life by being a negative Nancy 24-7

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County

I don’t ever remember Trotz getting overly emotional. Or Jon Cooper in TB either. Or even Johnston in PIT.

In fact, most of best coaches in sports are all pretty calm/boring during games imo

Not that this really matters in the scheme of things. Historically, great coaches have had a variety of personalities. What matters most is how to lead behind the scenes.

I have no idea how he is with that

I think the underlying issue is that he looks like Kevin from the Office so ppl project those characteristics on him lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad