Post-Game Talk: the Champs at the Blooj | 2/12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Bruce Boudreau was the most explosive coach in the league and it got us no where. Not really putting stock in coach persona
Hockey is acknowledged to be an emotional game.

I don't see every Caps game and when I do certainly don't focus on Todd R. Trotz is/was relatively moderate on the fiery spectrum.
Yet in comparison Reirden makes Trotz look like a Torts, Lavy, or Burns having a fit behind the bench :laugh:

Let me it it this way, I don't see Todd saying the hockey equivalent of: "fix your bayonets and give 'em some cold steel".

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I don’t ever remember Trotz getting overly emotional. Or Jon Cooper in TB either. Or even Johnston in PIT.

In fact, most of best coaches in sports are all pretty calm/boring during games imo

Not that this really matters in the scheme of things. Historically, great coaches have had a variety of personalities. What matters most is how to lead behind the scenes.

I have no idea how he is with that
Yes, and the three examples I've been giving (Torts, Lavy, Burns) all have at least one SC.

Reirden is not only dull, he seems to be as someone posted - befuddled. With more experience he may turn out to be good HC, maybe very good. For the sake of the Caps I hope so.

I think the underlying issue is that he looks like Kevin from the Office so ppl project those characteristics on him lol
:laugh:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Still puzzled why TR wouldn't put some fresh legs out. It's a b2b against a grinding team, why not switch out Dowd and DSP (who actually played OK) for Boyd and Jaskin. Don't know if it could make up for how dead Ovi and Nick looked, but maybe Boyd's legs or Jaskin's grind gets you one more PP.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It seems like I'll watch only highlights of this game.

Now the Californian trip, won't be easy even with ducks and kings being horrible

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
You replied to mine first

giphy.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Only because of Holtby..should have been losing by several goals after 2 periods..Caps had 7 total shots on goal after 2.

As mentioned above Holtby is part of the team. You have a good goalie for a reason. Several posters pre game, including me, said that Holtby was going to need to steal this one. That was clearly the idea the coaching staff was working with choosing to go with the back up goalie in the first of the back to backs in an attempt to win them both.

Listen to Reirden post game. They had a specific two night combinted strategy to try and win that game. He refers to being a step behind because the other team was fresh. He said being a step behind resulted in the stick penalties. The stick penalties resulted in too much penalty kill early in the game and that sapped the strength of those players. Remember that Carlson and Niskanen are on all that pk. He makes a clear and logical case for the challenges of the back to back. Ive seen him upset at the team's play and last night he wasn't.

I guess that wont get any traction with those saying Reirden cant coach

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t ever remember Trotz getting overly emotional. Or Jon Cooper in TB either. Or even Johnston in PIT.

Trotz didn't yell on the bench. He didn't go Boudreau crazy at the officials. He didn't throw players under the bus to the media. There is a reason that he can coach so long in a single place. Getting along with people is the foundation for that.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The best coaches can be a bank exec when needed and a Laviolette when needed. I actually liked Rierden’s calmness and matter of
factness in the beginning of the season
, liked his interviews. But I feel like he’s looking more befuddled as the season goes on. But I think it’s fair to watch for the war outcome.

I think the bolded part is the most important part. That he doesn't scream and rant isn't an issue, he'll just tell you calmly to your face why you suck. From my perspective the calm demeanor is way more effective, it's a lot harder to play it off as "oh well coach was just heated" and blow past it. If your coach tells you something in a matter of fact way your likely going to leave with the impression that it was something he has arrived at through an analytical lens.

Listening to Spittin' Chiclets podcast they talk about coaches like Hitchcock and Michel Therien scream at players or (in the latter case) are over the top in being mean, at a certain point the team looks at them like a joke and laughs it off. (That clearly was the case with Boudreau in his later time here). Every story they get about Mike Babcock is that he's a cold and calculated guy. He's not the most popular guy in the league but it's certainly understood that he will basically tell you exactly what he thinks of you and what he can get out of you.

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have no issue with the coach being calm, cool, and collected when dealing with any Caps personnel. In fact, I prefer it.

The fire I’d like to see would be towards the refs in the many times we’ve come out on the short end of a questionable play, or when one of ours gets kabonged.

Where that’s fire? Players pick up on that and it can be a rallying point.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
As mentioned above Holtby is part of the team. You have a good goalie for a reason. Several posters pre game, including me, said that Holtby was going to need to steal this one. That was clearly the idea the coaching staff was working with choosing to go with the back up goalie in the first of the back to backs in an attempt to win them both.

Listen to Reirden post game. They had a specific two night combinted strategy to try and win that game. He refers to being a step behind because the other team was fresh. He said being a step behind resulted in the stick penalties. The stick penalties resulted in too much penalty kill early in the game and that sapped the strength of those players. Remember that Carlson and Niskanen are on all that pk. He makes a clear and logical case for the challenges of the back to back. Ive seen him upset at the team's play and last night he wasn't.

I guess that wont get any traction with those saying Reirden cant coach

He should have been extremely upset. The fact that he wasn't really bothers me. We were 5 steps behind..and we got bullied and didn't push back. Numerous dump ins by Caps and the Caps forwards backed off and let Columbus play the puck cleanly..bunch of soft guys wearing white..this had nothing to do with back to back games. Then Columbus mocked us at the end of the game just like last game. Didn't you say you didn't see the game? Our players did not come to play..period. If they play like this against San Jose they will lose by 10.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He should have been extremely upset. The fact that he wasn't really bothers me. We were 5 steps behind..and we got bullied and didn't push back. Numerous dump ins by Caps and the Caps forwards backed off and let Columbus play the puck cleanly..bunch of soft guys wearing white..this had nothing to do with back to back games. Then Columbus mocked us at the end of the game just like last game. Didn't you say you didn't see the game? Our players did not come to play..period. If they play like this against San Jose they will lose by 10.

Well, you know better. Right?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If anything good came out of this game, it was that we probably "f'd" the Blue Jackets plans as now I would think they're going to hold on to both Bob and Panarin for the playoff run and let them walk for nothing after the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jackets won 65% of the face offs last night. Puck possession begins in the dot. Oh for the dog days of Jeff Beagle.

The Caps are the worst faceoff team in the NHL. I find it interesting that while many are crying about losing the the back end of a back to back on the road with travel that they are not bugged by the face offs. Beagle was money at pk face offs and critical late game defensive zone draws. His playoff numbers of defensive zone draws was nearly 65%. Without that they lose.

Dowd just does not get that job done.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The Caps are the worst faceoff team in the NHL. I find it interesting that while many are crying about losing the the back end of a back to back on the road with travel that they are not bugged by the face offs. Beagle was money at pk face offs and critical late game defensive zone draws. His playoff numbers of defensive zone draws was nearly 65%. Without that they lose.

Dowd just does not get that job done.

Very few guys in the NHL can get that job done.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's because we were playing the 2nd of a back to back:)

No, my brother. Its because they are the worst face off team in the league. Why?
1. Beagle is gone. He was both an elite face off player but right handed was another advantage.
2. I would suggest that Backstrom is still having strength issues from the double break in his hand in the playoffs. His numbers are slightly off but with Beagle gone and Backstrom off a bit it shaves the cream off the top.
3. Kuzy sucks
4. Eller is average.

Vs. Boston when they needed one goal and had a late power play the announce crew said that Boston had won 15 of the last 16 face offs. At present I would say that they need a face off guy that is a quality penalty killer more than they need to replace Burakovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad