CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The CFL needs to keep East vs West for the Grey cup so the whole country stays interested, if you had two West teams in the Grey cup they'd lose half their viewers, similarly if two East teams were in the finals.

This has generally been the company line, but I don't buy it. Only 2 out of 9 fan bases have their team in the Grey Cup each year, but millions of fans of those other 7 teams still watch. As an Eskimos fan, there's really no difference to me between a Grey Cup contested between Toronto and Ottawa or BC and Saskatchewan, or any other combo you care to think of. Did a bunch of Alouettes, Ti-Cats, and Argos fans watch last year to cheer on Ottawa against Calgary, but wouldn't have watched if it was the Lions or Eskimos, etc. against the Stamps? Seems really doubtful.

I could be wrong, but in my experiences, the whole "East versus West" tradition isn't really a thing to anyone under the age of 60 at this point. I've been to Grey Cups in Vancouver and Edmonton (both involving Calgary), and I can recall precisely zero Eskimos, Lions, Riders, or Bombers fans that were cheering for the Stamps.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So Kavis and Sherman decide to part ways after agreeing that Mike hasn't figured out the Canadian game. I'm just shocked that a 65-year old coach with millions of dollars in the bank wasn't spending hours a day during the off-season figuring out how to be better at the lowest paying job he's probably had in 20 years.

At least Khari Jones is very familiar with the Canadian game and has plenty of experience as a coordinator. That should help. But now you have a guy in his first head coaching gig who will simultaneously be running the offense, all with precisely 6 days notice that he is in fact running the sideline. The other concern is that Jones hasn't ever really run offenses that were any better than average. His track record in BC was only okay-ish. Hard to judge him last year considering the personnel he had to work with, but those personnel aren't looking any better this year. Going to be another long season in Montreal by the looks of it.

From what I've heard, Sherman didn't even bother to show up for training camp until a few days late. Apparently the Alouettes PR'ed it as him needing "dental surgery" but that was just a cover because he failed to report to camp. And the CFL put personnel behind the bench for 2nd pre-season game since they feared the players would openly rebel against the head coach DURING THE GAME. What a toxic situation.

As a Bomber fan, I am a huge Khari fan. Of course. His coaching career has been just ok to date though. But forgetting that it really feels like he's been given 10 pounds of crap and a 9 pound bag, to quote former teammate Troy Westwood. It's basically a no win situation for him. And that kinda sucks. But as we've seen with plenty of guys (hell Jeff MOTHERf***ING Reinbold still has a job) you can come back stuff in the CFL.

This has generally been the company line, but I don't buy it. Only 2 out of 9 fan bases have their team in the Grey Cup each year, but millions of fans of those other 7 teams still watch. As an Eskimos fan, there's really no difference to me between a Grey Cup contested between Toronto and Ottawa or BC and Saskatchewan, or any other combo you care to think of. Did a bunch of Alouettes, Ti-Cats, and Argos fans watch last year to cheer on Ottawa against Calgary, but wouldn't have watched if it was the Lions or Eskimos, etc. against the Stamps? Seems really doubtful.

I could be wrong, but in my experiences, the whole "East versus West" tradition isn't really a thing to anyone under the age of 60 at this point. I've been to Grey Cups in Vancouver and Edmonton (both involving Calgary), and I can recall precisely zero Eskimos, Lions, Riders, or Bombers fans that were cheering for the Stamps.

I agree that it's a company line. But the crossover ruins that narrative, IMO. However it's nice for the CFL to keep the divisions since it keep the weak East relevant all year, IMO. Without two divisions, you'd have the 5 West teams basically guaranteed playoff spots by late September with the East of out it. While the Grey Cup East v West matters little, you want to keep as many teams as possible in the playoff hunt as long as possible. The two divisions ensures that.

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
The CFL needs to keep East vs West for the Grey cup so the whole country stays interested, if you had two West teams in the Grey cup they'd lose half their viewers, similarly if two East teams were in the finals.

They're losing viewers now.

Positive or not everyone knows the top competition is generally at the Western final. Besides most CFL fans watch every game. It's not like the NHL where Canadian fans lose interest as soon as their team is eliminated from the playoffs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
They're losing viewers now.

Positive or not everyone knows the top competition is generally at the Western final. Besides most CFL fans watch every game. It's not like the NHL where Canadian fans lose interest as soon as their team is eliminated from the playoffs.
I'm still watching the NHL finals and cheering for the Blues. If the Grey cup had two western teams, I'd still watch, but many casual fans from the East won't.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
They need to get that tenth team. Then you can go to an unbalanced schedule with either 10 or 12 division games, lose the crossover, and guarantee an East-West Grey Cup.

As it is now, East teams play eight division games while West teams play ten. That needs to end.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Considering how small the fanbases in TO and Montreal are even if we bought in to the idea that Easterners are going to support Eastern teams I can't imagine it would be enough to overcome the much larger fanbases of the prairies.

I would think a Sask-Calgary or Edmonton or Winnipeg Grey Cup would out draw a Sask- TO or Montreal Grey Cup easily.

I could maybe see the argument that an all East GC would have a low viewership but that is because you lose the large fan bases of the Western team.

Even considering that I think that the GC is still a bit of an event on its own so many people are watching regardless of the teams anyways.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
From what I've heard, Sherman didn't even bother to show up for training camp until a few days late. Apparently the Alouettes PR'ed it as him needing "dental surgery" but that was just a cover because he failed to report to camp. And the CFL put personnel behind the bench for 2nd pre-season game since they feared the players would openly rebel against the head coach DURING THE GAME. What a toxic situation.

As a Bomber fan, I am a huge Khari fan. Of course. His coaching career has been just ok to date though. But forgetting that it really feels like he's been given 10 pounds of crap and a 9 pound bag, to quote former teammate Troy Westwood. It's basically a no win situation for him. And that kinda sucks. But as we've seen with plenty of guys (hell Jeff MOTHER****ING Reinbold still has a job) you can come back stuff in the CFL.

I agree that it's a company line. But the crossover ruins that narrative, IMO. However it's nice for the CFL to keep the divisions since it keep the weak East relevant all year, IMO. Without two divisions, you'd have the 5 West teams basically guaranteed playoff spots by late September with the East of out it. While the Grey Cup East v West matters little, you want to keep as many teams as possible in the playoff hunt as long as possible. The two divisions ensures that.

Man, that is incredible if true. Any coach showing up late for camp without a damn good reason is a fireable offense all by itself. What a mess. I still don't know why Sherman ever came to the CFL in the first place. I suppose he was like many former NFLers that assume they can just show up here an excel and lose interest really quickly when they discover the CFL is actually a serious operation.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Okay with the regular season right around the corner, I want to hear some predictions:
1) Standings
2) GC winner
3) MVP
4) Breakout Performer

GO!

Ok, I'm all set now. Website link in my profile has detailed and gambling-related analysis if anyone is interested. Hoping to get a CFL betting podcast up and running in the next couple of days as well.

1)

East:

Hamilton 11-7
Toronto 8-10
Ottawa 7-11
Montreal 5-13

West:

Calgary 12-6
Winnipeg 11-7
BC 10-8
Saskatchewan 9-9
Edmonton 8-10

2)

I'll go with Winnipeg over Hamilton. The Bombers finally get over the hump after Calgary has a bit of a reloading year.

3)

Jeremiah Masoli is now an established top-level QB and should have no problem leading the Ti-Cats to first place in the weak East.

4)

Hmmm, tough call here. I could see Bralon Addison having a big year in Hamilton with Saunders and Toliver no longer present. Calgary might be going with two Canadians as part of their regular receivers package, keep an eye on Richie Sindani. Brandon Rutley should be given the opportunity in BC, it will be up to him to seize it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
East:

Hamilton
Ottawa
Tornto
Montreal

Hard to see anyway it doesn't finish like this outside of a major injury or two to the top two teams

West:

Calgary
Winnipeg
BC
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

I see the top 3 finishing in any order. I will give the benefit to BLM and DD right now but those 3 are clearly the class of the league and above any other team.

Calgary over Hamilton. Hamilton has a chance based on it being one game and they have the much easier path but they are not close to as good as the top 3 Western teams so should lose to whoever gets out of the West.

BLM

Juwan Brescasin looks like the Stamps are going with two NI receivers and with Jordan/Rogers injury history Brescasin will get a ton of opportunities. He looked really good in the pre-season and should be the next great Canadian receiver in the league

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
East:

Hamilton
Ottawa
Tornto
Montreal

Hard to see anyway it doesn't finish like this outside of a major injury or two to the top two teams

West:

Calgary
Winnipeg
BC
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

I see the top 3 finishing in any order. I will give the benefit to BLM and DD right now but those 3 are clearly the class of the league and above any other team.

Calgary over Hamilton. Hamilton has a chance based on it being one game and they have the much easier path but they are not close to as good as the top 3 Western teams so should lose to whoever gets out of the West.

BLM

Juwan Brescasin looks like the Stamps are going with two NI receivers and with Jordan/Rogers injury history Brescasin will get a ton of opportunities. He looked really good in the pre-season and should be the next great Canadian receiver in the league

I just don't have the same love for BC as most others seem to. Other than Reilly, are they really above average at any other positions? If they win more than 9 or 10 games, I will be surprised. I know they won 9 last year with Lulay/Jennings and in theory should be better with adding Reilly, but I think going .500 last season was a bit of a mirage. Hamilton and Winnipeg both went into BC Place last year and completely gave away wins in the 4th quarter. That luck tends to even out the next year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I just don't have the same love for BC as most others seem to. Other than Reilly, are they really above average at any other positions? If they win more than 9 or 10 games, I will be surprised. I know they won 9 last year with Lulay/Jennings and in theory should be better with adding Reilly, but I think going .500 last season was a bit of a mirage. Hamilton and Winnipeg both went into BC Place last year and completely gave away wins in the 4th quarter. That luck tends to even out the next year.

I think their receivers look pretty good as well. I think they will have to score a ton to win this year but I also think they have the potential to put up big yards through the air.

They are there with Calgary and Winnipeg for because Calgary lost so many guys and didn't seem to replace any of them and Winnipeg has Matt Nichols. Put an average QB in there and I likely take them but I have a real hard time seeing Matt Nichols as the winning QB for a GC team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think their receivers look pretty good as well. I think they will have to score a ton to win this year but I also think they have the potential to put up big yards through the air.

They are there with Calgary and Winnipeg for because Calgary lost so many guys and didn't seem to replace any of them and Winnipeg has Matt Nichols. Put an average QB in there and I likely take them but I have a real hard time seeing Matt Nichols as the winning QB for a GC team.

Fair enough, if Duron Carter has his head screwed on him and Burnham will be a good one-two punch.

Yeah I've never been a part of the Matt Nichols fan club, that's for sure. But Streveler could be a player and he's standing by to take over if he falters. To be fair, Nichols ended the season strong and Winnipeg could have easily won the Cup, so I think the rest of the roster is strong enough to win if they can just get game manager type play out of him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Fair enough, if Duron Carter has his head screwed on him and Burnham will be a good one-two punch.

Yeah I've never been a part of the Matt Nichols fan club, that's for sure. But Streveler could be a player and he's standing by to take over if he falters. To be fair, Nichols ended the season strong and Winnipeg could have easily won the Cup, so I think the rest of the roster is strong enough to win if they can just get game manager type play out of him.

I do like Strelever and am intrigued by what he can become if given more time.

As for BC I like Durant who they got from Calgary and another young Canadian, although I cant remember his name which might be a mark against him, Shaq something.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
All I'm saying is Lowry should have hit that shot on Monday so I wouldn't be missing any basketball by going to the home opener tomorrow. Shoot darn

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So...I trust it will be myself and 7 other people in the country watching the Riders-TiCats...joining the other 30 million watching the Raptors during commercial breaks!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So...I trust it will be myself and 7 other people in the country watching the Riders-TiCats...joining the other 30 million watching the Raptors during commercial breaks!

I may be at the game in the pouring rain, still deciding if it is worth missing the first part of the Raps.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sounds like Eskimos injury troubles are starting again. Santos-Kox, Daniels, Bond, Bazzie, Martese Jackson all out week 1. 5 pretty big names.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Riders and Ti-Cats have decided to try and kill each other instead of playing ball.

This one could get a bit nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad