CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm a huge Simoni fan, he is my favourite player in the league. That kind of hit is terrible. I hope Zach is okay and has a speedy recovery

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sounds like Eskimos injury troubles are starting again. Santos-Kox, Daniels, Bond, Bazzie, Martese Jackson all out week 1. 5 pretty big names.

I'm used to half the team being on IR by week 2, but this is ridiculous. How do you lose that many starters in training camp?

Very concerned about the offensive line. At least it's not Winnipeg or Sask's D line they have to go up against tonight, but the line is the foundation of every offense. Could be tough sledding tonight, especially without Daniels.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm used to half the team being on IR by week 2, but this is ridiculous. How do you lose that many starters in training camp?

Very concerned about the offensive line. At least it's not Winnipeg or Sask's D line they have to go up against tonight, but the line is the foundation of every offense. Could be tough sledding tonight, especially without Daniels.

Luckily you guys only had to play Montreal Haha.

Ottawa beating Calgary is an oddity. My concern is this will be motivation for Stamps at least all summer. It was definately a bit of a mirage game though, doesnt move the needle much for me on either team (Calgary still good, Ottawa still bad).

Solid win by Bombers. Both teams played just ok, Bombers O-Line impressed which is nice considering the turnover on that unit.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Plenty of surprises in Week 1, with Montreal almost pulling off a miracle comeback with Vernon Adams and Ottawa coming back to stun Calgary. I'm sure others will be surprised by BC's poor showing, but I kind of figured that might happen. Essentially no rushing yards in the entire game though...yikes. Next week's Lions-Eskimos game just got really interesting.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Luckily you guys only had to play Montreal Haha.

Ottawa beating Calgary is an oddity. My concern is this will be motivation for Stamps at least all summer. It was definately a bit of a mirage game though, doesnt move the needle much for me on either team (Calgary still good, Ottawa still bad).

Solid win by Bombers. Both teams played just ok, Bombers O-Line impressed which is nice considering the turnover on that unit.

Ottawa's defense was definitely better than I was expecting, but yeah I agree in general. Calgary had a complete clunker from BLM and the rest of the offense, and the play calling was surprisingly bad.

Bombers did a good job of sticking to their game plan. Just nickel and dime your way down field, eventually the defense gets tired and frustrated. Basically what I expected from them. Jeff Hecht had a hell of a game at safety, no issues there in replacing Loffler by the looks of it. The Bombers are going to be a very tough out in any game where Nichols doesn't throw a pick this year. BC's offense looked like trash outside of the occasional big strike connecting. Looks like Reilly brought the Edmonton playbook of the last two seasons to Vancouver. I've absolutely killed Maas over the play calling the last two seasons, and it's only one game, but it sure was interesting to see the Eskimos all of a sudden start running a ball control offense yesterday while BC was content to chuck bombs and pray they connected the instant Reilly showed up. Mike may have had a bigger hand in calling the plays here than I suspected.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Only 1 week yet and it was vs. Montreal but still good to see Edmonton get the win. Hope they get to 2-0 this week vs. B.C.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
At some point Collaros is going to have to question if it's worth it to still play. The concussions are piling up and the guy looked to be okay after he came out of the game, but is still out for 6 games leads me to believe he's already having issues onset from multiple whacks to the head.

Lawrence better get some form of suspension too. I'd say the minimum 2, maybe 3 games. Zero need for garbage hits like that in the CFL or football in general.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
2 games is pretty stiff, this is 11% of the season, compare this to NHL that would be 9 games, which most people would find stiff.

He's a repeat offender who may have ended another player's career.

NHL might have given him 20 games tbh.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the 2 games is a fair punishment. Simoni will need to be careful the rest of the season as another incident like this would be a huge suspension for him.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
He's a repeat offender who may have ended another player's career.

NHL might have given him 20 games tbh.
He's been in the league 7 years and this is his FIRST offense. I'm not condoning it, but to say that he's a repeat offender is wrong.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
A Saskatchewan TV reporter was dumb enough to predict a 2-16 Redblacks season and 13-5 Riders season.

Today the Redblacks just beat them to go 2-0 and start them 0-2

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
A Saskatchewan TV reporter was dumb enough to predict a 2-16 Redblacks season and 13-5 Riders season.

Today the Redblacks just beat them to go 2-0 and start them 0-2

Yeah, they mentioned that in the broadcast. 2 and freaking 16? I'd call you an idiot if you'd predicted Montreal to go 2-16. I only had Ottawa pegged for 7 wins this year myself, but come on.

Davis is looking really good so far. I thought he'd get there eventually, but didn't foresee a game like tonight coming so soon. Some of those balls he dropped in to Rhymes were unreal. I was hard on Nick Marshall earlier in the game, but he had Rhymes covered in the second half, and just kept getting beat with perfect throws.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, I get people being homers and all but the Redblacks won't be going 2-16. The way they've played thus far I can see them being closer to 13-5 than 2-16.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
13-5 for the Riders after losing Chris Jones, having suspect depth both national and international, and no proven Qb going into the season?! Never underestimate the homer Saskatchewan media.

I guess the only positive the Bombers can take from Davis' sudden brilliance is that if he does prove to be a good QB, the organization can finally say they developed a legit starting QB for the first time since Danny McManus.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
13-5 for the Riders after losing Chris Jones, having suspect depth both national and international, and no proven Qb going into the season?! Never underestimate the homer Saskatchewan media.

I guess the only positive the Bombers can take from Davis' sudden brilliance is that if he does prove to be a good QB, the organization can finally say they developed a legit starting QB for the first time since Danny McManus.

Most neutral people had Sask 5th in the division in their pre season predictions. They were a smoke a mirrors team last year and got worse in the off-season.

I'm still not sold on this Ottawa team or Davis. 2-16 was obviously not realistic but not completely sold this is an above 500 team. Davis would need to show more against a quality team first. I did have Ottawa missing the playoffs and I think that's still possible. It's only 2 games, a lucky CGY win and a shootout with a team nearly as bad Montreal. Well see.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well the Lions got their QB. Too bad they don't have a defence, offensive line or running game. Could be a long season in BC.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well the Lions got their QB. Too bad they don't have a defence, offensive line or running game. Could be a long season in BC.

Be careful what you wish for with your QB. This is the style of offense he likes to play (long bombs), and if he doesn't have coaches who can say no to him it'll be like this all season long.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Nothing redeeming of this disaster today for the Argos.

Only thing out worth taking home out of this were the Derel Walker bobbleheads. Will see how much I can get selling one of them ;)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Got to see some of that vintage Speedy on the missed FG return there, always fun when he breaks loose.

Overall a huge win for the Tabbies. So many great contributions all over the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad