CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Edmonton to announce it's new name today at 10 MST/ 12EST

According to some leaks, it will be the Elks.

I would have preferred Elk but this is the only one that made sense after the change.

I don't mind it. Logo is awesome. Seems like the name quite a few people wanted was Eagles but man, Eagles? That's such a generic and overused sports name at this point. lol. I would have preferred ELK as well but ELKS is fine. Think how people would react if team names like LEAFS were being used for the first time? People would mock it so much. People will get used to it as time goes on.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Guessing because those entities will return to making millions within the next year or two where the CFL was already on shaky ground and just lost a full year of operations. CFL knows it'll be hard to pay back the loan to begin with, let alone with interest on top of that.

Agree about the CFL. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can think its a better product than the NFL. The games just seem so boring and uneventful.

I can understand if someone prefers CFL football to NFL football. Obviously the players can't compare to the NFL in terms of quality, and no one could possibly say otherwise, but player quality alone doesn't guarantee a more entertaining sporting event.

Reactions: hoglund

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can understand if someone prefers CFL football to NFL football. Obviously the players can't compare to the NFL in terms of quality, and no one could possibly say otherwise, but player quality alone doesn't guarantee a more entertaining sporting event.
NFL production is clearly better. You can really tell from the sound as you can hear the difference between 70K vs 25K fans in the stadium. Notice it in the XFL2 and AAFL games in those bigger stadiums.

As for the Elks, name is fine. I don't know if the logo will stand the test of time in 20 years. Between Edmonton's logo vs say the Milwaukee Bucks, I think the Bucks logo will be around longer.

Logo to me, should pop on both white and green.

This logo seems to have multiple color variations.

On a green backdrop on the Goelks.com website, the logo is all yellow. On a refresh of the page, also against a green backdrop the logo has green antlers, white Elk, with the body section on the right in yellow.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
NFL production is clearly better. You can really tell from the sound as you can hear the difference between 70K vs 25K fans in the stadium. Notice it in the XFL2 and AAFL games in those bigger stadiums.

As for the Elks, name is fine. I don't know if the logo will stand the test of time in 20 years. Between Edmonton's logo vs say the Milwaukee Bucks, I think the Bucks logo will be around longer.

Logo to me, should pop on both white and green.

This logo seems to have multiple color variations.

On a green backdrop on the Goelks.com website, the logo is all yellow. On a refresh of the page, also against a green backdrop the logo has green antlers, white Elk, with the body section on the right in yellow.

I'm not a CFL fan, I'm just saying that I can understand the concept of someone preferring one sports league over the other even though the players aren't as good in said league.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not a CFL fan, I'm just saying that I can understand the concept of someone preferring one sports league over the other even though the players aren't as good in said league.
Sometimes a game with weaker players can be exciting if they are close and has more passing than running. I watch both NFL and CFL and for many years the Grey Cup was more exciting than the Super Bowl, that hasn't been the case in the last 2 or 3 years, but if you watch both you'll see what I mean.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Sometimes a game with weaker players can be exciting if they are close and has more passing than running. I watch both NFL and CFL and for many years the Grey Cup was more exciting than the Super Bowl, that hasn't been the case in the last 2 or 3 years, but if you watch both you'll see what I mean.

Indeed. Another example would be the WJC; I'm not a WJC guy but a WJC final between two titans is going to be far more interesting hockey than a weeknight NHL game between two bottom-feeders that trap all game long. Yeah the NHL players are better but the game is boring.

Football-wise, there are many, many football fans in the US that prefer NCAA ball to the NFL and an average NFL team would absolutely massacre the best NCAA football team.

Reactions: hoglund

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I like the Elks logo but it just reminds me of the John Deere logo to me with the green and yellow/gold when i first glance at it lol

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I agree with this. I'd rather watch a shootout in CFL than that Rams/Patriots Superbowl.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Per Dan Barnes should this be approved, the Edmonton Elks will host the RedBlacks on Aug. 7. Nothing yet for the rest of week 1

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Revised 2021 Schedule released

Circle Your Calendars: CFL releases 2021 schedule - CFL.ca

Grey Cup Rematch kicks things off on August 5 - Hamilton @ Winnipeg

There will be a Thanksgiving double header. It's been a while since that's happened. Traditional Labour Day matches intact

The 14 games for each team works out to playing your division opponents 2 or 3 times and one game against each team in the other division. I've always believed that if they cut down on the East vs West games, there won't be as much of a "record imbalance" with almost everyone in the West having a better record than almost everyone in the East. Guess we'll see how this plays out.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If there isn't enough new money coming in from US Media, sponsors etc... to justify the kind of changes that were being speculated, it's not worth it.

We'll see if we hear more details on what went down...or didn't. They we're in formal talks for about 4 months now so that's enough time to know if something was there,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad