CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It sounds like you hate Saskatchewan, I doubt that Fajardo will win MOP, Banks from Hamilton is by far the most outstanding player, Fajardo may be the best quarterback, but not the best player.

I don't like Saskatchewan but that is far from the point of my post.

Banks should get it but he hasn't had an all-time great season from a receiver or anything and it is hard to think of another season in the past 20 years where his numbers/play would have got him a nomination let alone the win.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I don't like Saskatchewan but that is far from the point of my post.

Banks should get it but he hasn't had an all-time great season from a receiver or anything and it is hard to think of another season in the past 20 years where his numbers/play would have got him a nomination let alone the win.
I know that quarterbacks are usually given this award, but it shouldn't, if it's given to a quarterback it will probably be Fajardo especially because it's kind of a Cinderella story. If they go by the most outstanding player then the obvious choice is Banks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they choose Fajardo, it would be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I know that quarterbacks are usually given this award, but it shouldn't, if it's given to a quarterback it will probably be Fajardo especially because it's kind of a Cinderella story. If they go by the most outstanding player then the obvious choice is Banks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they choose Fajardo, it would be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Its a no doubter that Banks should win.

The story shouldn't matter especially because the story actually is that Fajardo was healthier and that is it. If the other QBs (harris, BLM, Masoli and Nicholls) had been healthy he isn't even considered. I don't think you should win an award based solely on health.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
And if the command centre doesn't hand Edmonton a free touchdown, they get another win in there. Easy to play that game...

Marcel had a terrible offseason, but a lot went wrong, too. The OC quitting right before the season was a massive blow as the team spent the entire season without one. The QB situation was rough.

I love that it's just been assumed (by everyone, not just you) that Edmonton automatically loses a game in which their opponent failed to score another point. But if the league wants to go back and forfeit the game to Ottawa, I'm all for it, anything to worsen Jason Maas' record and increase his probability of getting fired.

Remember when Dominique Davis was the next star because he beat Calgary Week 1 with 4 INTs thrown?

I honestly dont think OTT has a QB on the roster that is among the best 20 QB's in the CFL.

And the problems in OTT dont even end there.

The gap between the good and bad teams this year was insane. OTT, TOR, BC were so far behind. TOR and BC got better as they year went on but still.

Honestly, I don't think QB play was even the biggest problem. Who the hell were they throwing to? Ottawa cheaped out on Ellingson right after Spencer went to the NFL and left themselves with a bunch of depth (Sinopoli) and unproven (Harris, Rhymes) guys thrust into leading roles. The running game was atrocious with anyone besides Crockett back there, and he was hurt most of the year after they brought him in. Mossis Madu sucks, I cannot believe he's still employed. It was a pretty hopeless situation for those QBs.

I think Davis could probably be a decent backup if you surround him with a some better players and an actual OC. Ottawa essentially didn't have one this season, and it showed. They looked great out of camp, then after three weeks that was it for the offense. No ability to adapt after there was some film on them.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Calgary is actually threatening to lose this game in BC. Unreal. Winnipeg watching on with keen interest I'm sure.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I love that it's just been assumed (by everyone, not just you) that Edmonton automatically loses a game in which their opponent failed to score another point. But if the league wants to go back and forfeit the game to Ottawa, I'm all for it, anything to worsen Jason Maas' record and increase his probability of getting fired.

Well, my point was that in football it's really hard to play the "if this happened differently, this result would have happened" game. Of course the missed field goals helped us beat Montreal, but there were games this season we didn't catch the breaks and lost because of it. It worked both ways.

I also agree with most of what you said regarding Ottawa's entire offence. Too easy to blame the QB and be done with it, when the entire offence stunk. Davis showed potential this season, but his decision making was veryyyyy questionable at times (SSK game for example). He has the talent, though, and showed some flashes of brilliance. He went 16/18 for 155 yards before injury in the final week against Montreal.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Well, my point was that in football it's really hard to play the "if this happened differently, this result would have happened" game. Of course the missed field goals helped us beat Montreal, but there were games this season we didn't catch the breaks and lost because of it. It worked both ways.

I also agree with most of what you said regarding Ottawa's entire offence. Too easy to blame the QB and be done with it, when the entire offence stunk. Davis showed potential this season, but his decision making was veryyyyy questionable at times (SSK game for example). He has the talent, though, and showed some flashes of brilliance. He went 16/18 for 155 yards before injury in the final week against Montreal.

Davis is in the McLeod Bethel-Thompson category for me. Teases you by throwing a couple of 40 yard dimes to get you down into the red zone, then tosses a duck into double coverage in the end zone. If the decision making ever comes around, there's no reason Davis can't turn it around like Vernon Adams has, but it's not all that often guys suddenly have it click after four years.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Tiger cats win last night playing their backups to finish with a perfect 9-0 record at home and 15-3 for the season. Of course they have to win 2 more important games to have a truly successful season, but either way it's been a pretty good season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going into the playoffs undefeated at home and it feels so good!

No matter what happens in the playoffs this year there is going to be some interesting decisions in regards to the QB position coming this off season. Evans has proven to be a decent option and he will be much cheaper than Masoli.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Ok, I'm all set now. Website link in my profile has detailed and gambling-related analysis if anyone is interested. Hoping to get a CFL betting podcast up and running in the next couple of days as well.

1)

East:

Hamilton 11-7
Toronto 8-10
Ottawa 7-11
Montreal 5-13

West:

Calgary 12-6
Winnipeg 11-7
BC 10-8
Saskatchewan 9-9
Edmonton 8-10

2)

I'll go with Winnipeg over Hamilton. The Bombers finally get over the hump after Calgary has a bit of a reloading year.

3)

Jeremiah Masoli is now an established top-level QB and should have no problem leading the Ti-Cats to first place in the weak East.

4)

Hmmm, tough call here. I could see Bralon Addison having a big year in Hamilton with Saunders and Toliver no longer present. Calgary might be going with two Canadians as part of their regular receivers package, keep an eye on Richie Sindani. Brandon Rutley should be given the opportunity in BC, it will be up to him to seize it.

21 weeks in the books, let's survey the damage...

1) Well, I nailed CGY, WPG, and EDM. Whiffed badly on Toronto. HAM to win the East was the easiest money I've ever come across, no complaints there.

2) I still like my Grey Cup pick, surprisingly, although I'd flip it to HAM over WPG. Watching the Stamps last night, they look cooked. Almost losing to Danny O'Brien/Brandon Bridge with a home field playoff game on the line? Too many injuries and no run game at all. Unless the weather is perfect and BLM can really cut up that Bombers secondary, I think Winnipeg wins next week. Inability to run the ball in November has sunk many a team. And I've never believed Sask is really anything more than good but not great team that just kept facing opponents with injured QBs week after week. Now the health of their own QB is in question. I think it's pretty much a toss up who reps the West in the Cup now, and the Bombers might actually be in the best shape of the three right now, after looking completely dead in the water three weeks ago. Crazy.

Montreal will need a perfect day out of Vernon Adams to beat Hamilton (I'm assuming the Als blow out Edmonton unless Adams throws 4 interceptions). Two great offenses going head to head, but the Ti-Cats have a much better defense than the Als. In fact, I think Hamilton probably has the best offense AND defense in the CFL this year. Arguably special teams as well. Anything can happen in November, but they should be heavy favorites to win the Grey Cup. This is the best Hamilton team since the late 90's.

3) I think Masoli probably does win MOP if he'd stayed healthy. Same can be said for BLM. After that, Andrew Harris probably wins it if he doesn't fail a piss test. Vernon Adams could still win it, but I think the helmet swinging suspension and missing a few other games along the way probably costs him. I'd have probably given the thing to Willie Jefferson if he didn't disappear in the last month of the season.

4) Addison sure came through. Sindani was alright, but didn't have the impact I was expecting considering so many Calgary receivers got injured. Hergy Mayala passed him on the depth chart. Rutley didn't get much of a sniff due to a nice bounce-back year for John White, who I wrote off as finished.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Montreal playing Edmonton in a playoff semifinal.......... just sounds strange considering how many times they have met in the Grey Cup.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Al f***ing Bradbury has been allowed to ref a playoff game? Dear god.

And right off the hop he hands Calgary a TD. What a f***ing joke.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
wow does it look cold there and empty in the stands. I wish they would push the cfl start date back a month so the finals would be played in some decent weather.

hopefully the temp stays as forecasted for Regina (-3) or it will be an empty stadium there as well.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
wow does it look cold there and empty in the stands. I wish they would push the cfl start date back a month so the finals would be played in some decent weather.

hopefully the temp stays as forecasted for Regina (-3) or it will be an empty stadium there as well.

An empty stadium in Regina? I highly doubt it. They have the most passionate fans in the league. They'll fill that stadium no matter how cold it is. All that being said. Hope the Bombers go all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad