CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
An empty stadium in Regina? I highly doubt it. They have the most passionate fans in the league. They'll fill that stadium no matter how cold it is. All that being said. Hope the Bombers go all the way.

true. it should get decent attendance.

I hope the bomber go away as well...…….oh you said all the way ;)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If the TSN app is right it looks like the CFL will have a garbage, undeserving team win the Grey Cup this year.

I guess it is fitting with how the league has gone this year and how it is trending that the "champs" should be a terrible no talent team.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If the TSN app is right it looks like the CFL will have a garbage, undeserving team win the Grey Cup this year.

I guess it is fitting with how the league has gone this year and how it is trending that the "champs" should be a terrible no talent team.

What are you on about?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

LOL. This Stamps loss was predictable. Zero run game and a QB who has never been able to overcome cold weather despite winning like 90% of his starts?

Calgary barely beat the shitty Lions team last week in a must-win game. Writing was on the wall. If not for a bogus 50 yard PI call and a big run back on a punt, Choke-Levi and his 12 completions might not have even scored a point today. 35-14 flattered Calgary.

There's no pain quite like watching your most bitter rivals battle for the right to play in your own Grey Cup, while you've already been relegated to the sidelines. I know this feeling well from past experiences. This is going to be a very painful two weeks for football fans in the city of Calgary. I hope they enjoy every second of it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL. This Stamps loss was predictable. Zero run game and a QB who has never been able to overcome cold weather despite winning like 90% of his starts?

Calgary barely beat the ****ty Lions team last week in a must-win game. Writing was on the wall. If not for a bogus 50 yard PI call and a big run back on a punt, Choke-Levi and his 12 completions might not have even scored a point today. 35-14 flattered Calgary.

There's no pain quite like watching your most bitter rivals battle for the right to play in your own Grey Cup, while you've already been relegated to the sidelines. I know this feeling well from past experiences. This is going to be a very painful two weeks for football fans in the city of Calgary. I hope they enjoy every second of it.

The Stamps rivals?

The Ti-Cats and Bombers are not the Stamps rivals.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Stamps rivals?

No, but it's absolutely hilarious that a flukey Riders team and a Maas-led Edmonton team that still hasn't beaten a single top-4 team in the league are still alive and well, and the most dominant team of the decade crapped out early in a Grey Cup hosting year again.

Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan have all played in Grey Cups at McMahon Stadium, and at least one will do so again. Calgary has never done so in 5 attempts.

I fully expect Hamilton and Winnipeg to toss aside the Esks and Riders next week, but an Edmonton-Sask Grey Cup in Calgary would be the most CFL thing ever.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The Stamps rivals?

The fact of the matter is the Bombers are a more talented team than Calgary...especially after all the losses the stamps have incurred this past off-season. Better O-line, better running back, better d-line, better field goal kicker and punter, better special teamers. Stamps have the edge at QB, receiver and defensive backs although there the Bombers have a good couple players. Part of the problem is the soft coverage and pressure implemented by Hall far too much of the time. Linebacker position is close with a slight edge to the Stamps.

Last year, Bo Levi Mitchell was not overly impressive and I thought was a somewhat underwhelming choice as MOP of the league. He most certainly was not impressive in the Grey Cup and again an underwhelming choice for MVP of that game. This year, we saw plenty of the mistakes from Bo - poorly thrown balls, lots of interceptions and poor decisions...something that has become commonplace since 2018. I think Bo might be one of those Qbs that peaked early in his career and from here on in will be merely a good not great qb...as in 2018 and 2019.

Today, the Bombers took the Stamps to the woodshed, especially in the second half. Despite having the most outstanding defensive player of the year in 2018 in Adam Bighill being hampered by a hamstring injury early in the year and playing mediocre all season, despite losing the best centre in the league in Goosen to retirement, despite losing one of the best Canadian -lineman in the league in Chungh to free agency, despite having one of the their d-backs up and quit on them over usage by the coach in the days leading up to the game, despite losing their starting qb to injury for the season, despite having their backup hobbled by a foot injury and despite having to start on oft-concussed weak Qb who is 3 years past his prime...the Bombers utterly destroyed the Stamps.

In the end, the game was not even close and the better team won!:neener::wave:

Reactions: snowkiddin

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL

Are you really crying about the injuries and players leaving the Bombers had after playing the Stamps?

No team was decimated this season with injuries and players leaving more than the Stamps and they were still the best team in the league.

Congrats on a fluke win. Hopefully you keep up the luck next week against the Priders.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I’m not Baxterman, but I do feel that this Maas-led Edmonton team would be an undeserving Grey Cup winner.

A team that, as Kyle McMahon said, had beat no top 4 teams. A bad coach who got carried by his QB, a team that only made the playoffs because they beat up on bad teams who were so bad they could not threaten EDM for a playoff spot, and they suddenly get hot for a handful of games ala 2000 BC Lions/2001 Calgary?

I don’t want to see Maas fluke his way to a Grey Cup ala Trestman 2 years ago.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
LOL

Are you really crying about the injuries and players leaving the Bombers had after playing the Stamps?

No team was decimated this season with injuries and players leaving more than the Stamps and they were still the best team in the league.

Congrats on a fluke win. Hopefully you keep up the luck next week against the Priders.

If Fajardo cant go or is limited by his injury the Bombers will easily walk into the finals. Apparently he took snaps at practice but has not thrown a pass yet.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I actually thought Bo Levi was playing as good as he ever had down the stretch, though he was surprisingly bad in BC in the season finale.

But he's never been a guy who really rises to the occasion in the playoffs, and cold weather in particular is something he's never been able to deal with effectively. Calgary's best chance of losing yesterday was cold weather neutering their passing game. The weatherman delivered.

Sask is better equipped than Calgary to deal with cold weather, but I don't like their chances with Fajardo injured. The stars might be aligning for Winnipeg.

Edmonton beating Hamilton would almost be bad for the sport, but if it's a Western team that finally benefits from the CFL's bush league playoff format, it might get them to scrap divisions, which is long overdue. There's a crossover basically every year now, what's the point?

I don't think Edmonton's defense will be able to stuff the run as easily against Hamilton though. Montreal never getting Stanback out of neutral and forcing Adams to try and do it all himself was their downfall. Evans can be turnover prone, but shouldn't need to take risks if the run game is effective.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I’m not Baxterman, but I do feel that this Maas-led Edmonton team would be an undeserving Grey Cup winner.

A team that, as Kyle McMahon said, had beat no top 4 teams. A bad coach who got carried by his QB, a team that only made the playoffs because they beat up on bad teams who were so bad they could not threaten EDM for a playoff spot, and they suddenly get hot for a handful of games ala 2000 BC Lions/2001 Calgary?

I don’t want to see Maas fluke his way to a Grey Cup ala Trestman 2 years ago.

Neither do Eskimos fans. I wouldn't say anyone was actually disappointed to win yesterday, but nobody would really care if they lost. Most people just want Maas gone and the nightmare to end.

I'll say though, if it's Edmonton's turn to be the undeserving fluke winner (and there's been many in the CFL) I will laugh my ass off for the fact that the win would come in Calgary.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I actually thought Bo Levi was playing as good as he ever had down the stretch, though he was surprisingly bad in BC in the season finale.

But he's never been a guy who really rises to the occasion in the playoffs, and cold weather in particular is something he's never been able to deal with effectively. Calgary's best chance of losing yesterday was cold weather neutering their passing game. The weatherman delivered.

Sask is better equipped than Calgary to deal with cold weather, but I don't like their chances with Fajardo injured. The stars might be aligning for Winnipeg.

Edmonton beating Hamilton would almost be bad for the sport, but if it's a Western team that finally benefits from the CFL's bush league playoff format, it might get them to scrap divisions, which is long overdue. There's a crossover basically every year now, what's the point?

I don't think Edmonton's defense will be able to stuff the run as easily against Hamilton though. Montreal never getting Stanback out of neutral and forcing Adams to try and do it all himself was their downfall. Evans can be turnover prone, but shouldn't need to take risks if the run game is effective.

Winnipeg was due for some fortune. The suspension to Harris, injury to Bighill, the loss of Nichols (not that he's any damn good anyway) put a damper on a season that likely could have seen them host the West Final. They've had to engineer their way to the finish line. The fact that a washed-up QB in Collaros delivered for them against the Stamps on the road, shows the kind of talent the Bombers have. And it is probably the final indictment against Nichols to finally (and mercifully) move on from him. The defense did a good job too and basically let Mitchell fall on his sword and die. This isn't a very good analogy, but to face the Riders with an injured Fajardo is like the Bombers sitting back after flipping a coin that landed on "heads" for months and now seeing the Riders flip that same coin and get "heads" on their own accord. The whole thing is karma at worst for the Bombers because even now they are still trying to engingeer their way to the finish line.

As for the Eskimos, I wouldn't bet on them getting to the Grey Cup. I once seen a joke that said something along the lines of "Memo to the league on how to stop the Eskimos offense: Let them get all the way to the redzone and they'll screw it up on their own." Added a stout defense by Hamilton and I don't expect them to win. If the Tiger-Cats actually manage to lose their game it'll be far worse than anything Calgary did.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
LOL

The Bombers beat the Stamps 3 of 4 times this year, with the Stamps' lone victory coming with a 4th quarter comeback against the Bombers backup QB. Injuries and loss of players are a part of football, it's not exclusive to the Stamps who happened to have their starter in for 3 of those games vs the Bombers.

If Bo is so great, why were his numbers so pedestrian this year? Why was he so terrible yesterday? Why was he outplayed by a qb who should probably be retired due to concussion issues and is 3 years past his prime? Maybe Bo is not so great after all? He certainly isn't the best Qb in the league no matter how many times you state it.

Thanks for congrats by the way. Not a fluke though. Fluke wins don't happen when one team dominates another as convincingly as the Bombers did.

388 net yards for the Bombers vs. 209 net yards for the Stamps. 33.48 to 26.12 TOP advantage for the Bombers. No first downs for the Stamps in the third quarter and 0 points for the Stamps in the second half. But sure, fluke win!!:laugh:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The Bombers beat the Stamps 3 of 4 times this year, with the Stamps' lone victory coming with a 4th quarter comeback against the Bombers backup QB. Injuries and loss of players are a part of football, it's not exclusive to the Stamps who happened to have their starter in for 3 of those games vs the Bombers.

If Bo is so great, why were his numbers so pedestrian this year? Why was he so terrible yesterday? Why was he outplayed by a qb who should probably be retired due to concussion issues and is 3 years past his prime? Maybe Bo is not so great after all? He certainly isn't the best Qb in the league no matter how many times you state it.

Thanks for congrats by the way. Not a fluke though. Fluke wins don't happen when one team dominates another as convincingly as the Bombers did.

388 net yards for the Bombers vs. 209 net yards for the Stamps. 33.48 to 26.12 TOP advantage for the Bombers. No first downs for the Stamps in the third quarter and 0 points for the Stamps in the second half. But sure, fluke win!!:laugh:

I think Bo was dealing with his injury all year long and likely should have stayed away for a longer time to rehab it. Or it may be one of those injuries that you just have to play through. That is based on his biggest issue being that he didn't have the zip on the ball that he normally does. he was still making the right reads but just was a bit off and even in the CFL that can be enough to make a great QB merely good.

The Bombers did win 3 out of 4. I did not watch all the games but if we are talking injuries that affected the Stamps much more than anyone else. The one game I saw the Stamps dominated but gave the game away on Special Teams. I know that is part of the game but take away a few fluke plays there and it was an easy Stamps win.

It was a fluke win because talent wise the Bombers are way below the Stamps, i guess with the Stamps injuries it makes it closer but considering the Bombers have a moron for a HC and DC the Stamps should have still easily rolled to victory.

BLM is by far the best QB in the league there is nobody even close. Which is why despite having major injuries and offseason losses he still was able to lead his team to a winning record, home play-off date. It sucks he couldn't go back to a Grey Cup for the 4th year in a row but since they should be the favorites for next year and he has a couple of rings already I am sure he will be fine.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Winnipeg was due for some fortune. The suspension to Harris, injury to Bighill, the loss of Nichols (not that he's any damn good anyway) put a damper on a season that likely could have seen them host the West Final. They've had to engineer their way to the finish line. The fact that a washed-up QB in Collaros delivered for them against the Stamps on the road, shows the kind of talent the Bombers have. And it is probably the final indictment against Nichols to finally (and mercifully) move on from him. The defense did a good job too and basically let Mitchell fall on his sword and die. This isn't a very good analogy, but to face the Riders with an injured Fajardo is like the Bombers sitting back after flipping a coin that landed on "heads" for months and now seeing the Riders flip that same coin and get "heads" on their own accord. The whole thing is karma at worst for the Bombers because even now they are still trying to engingeer their way to the finish line.

As for the Eskimos, I wouldn't bet on them getting to the Grey Cup. I once seen a joke that said something along the lines of "Memo to the league on how to stop the Eskimos offense: Let them get all the way to the redzone and they'll screw it up on their own." Added a stout defense by Hamilton and I don't expect them to win. If the Tiger-Cats actually manage to lose their game it'll be far worse than anything Calgary did.

Yes, I don't see the Ti-Cats losing to Edmonton. The Ti-Cats are the most talented team in the league. An offense that barely missed a beat when Masoli went down and the best defense in the league. I can actually see Harris and the Edmonton O putting up a respectable amount of yards during the game...say 350 yards, but having a tough time moving the ball inside the Hamilton 25 or 30 yard line - a problem they have had most of the season. I can see quite a few Edmonton field goal attempts on Sunday.

I don't think any team benefited from the schedule more than Saskatchewan. They seemed to face other teams backups more than any other team in the league so I believe their record is inflated by a couple wins. I'm also not sure that Fajardo will be anything more than an average QB after this year. As a Bomber fan, I am cautiously optimistic the Bombers can pull off the game next Sunday as I've seen signs of progress to many times in the past only to end up disappointed shortly thereafter. If Fajordo is severely hampered or can't play on Sunday, I give the Bombers a slightly better than 50-50 chance to win the game. That Sask D is tough and did not appear to miss a beat when Chris Jones left for the NFL in the off-season.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The Bombers did win 3 out of 4. I did not watch all the games but if we are talking injuries that affected the Stamps much more than anyone else. The one game I saw the Stamps dominated but gave the game away on Special Teams. I know that is part of the game but take away a few fluke plays there and it was an easy Stamps win.

It was a fluke win because talent wise the Bombers are way below the Stamps, i guess with the Stamps injuries it makes it closer but considering the Bombers have a moron for a HC and DC the Stamps should have still easily rolled to victory.

So how did the Stamps manage to lose not 1 but 3 games against the Bombers, if the Bombers are so inept and lacking in talent? Where's the hole? Why aren't the Stamps undefeated this season? Maybe try watching a game if you're going to slander a team with "moron HC/DC" and "lower talent" comments. Clearly the Stamps are overrated if they can't beat a team with a moron for a HC and DC.

PS. I'm not a Bombers fan by any means.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
MTL losing to EDM was more fluky than CGY losing to WPG.

The Eskimos..... they mostly beat up on Toronto/BC/Ottawa, yet Trevor Harris in this month is good enough to singlehandedly trying to drag a bad coach to a Grey Cup ala Ricky Ray/Mark Trestman.

The Als are a better team than the Eskimos, yet the Esks QB was so good even Maas couldn't screw that up.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Neither do Eskimos fans. I wouldn't say anyone was actually disappointed to win yesterday, but nobody would really care if they lost. Most people just want Maas gone and the nightmare to end.

I'll say though, if it's Edmonton's turn to be the undeserving fluke winner (and there's been many in the CFL) I will laugh my ass off for the fact that the win would come in Calgary.

Biggest fluke winner in CFL history IMO was the 01 Stamps. Luckiest team I've ever seen.

I'd feel bad going forward for Esks fans if Maas does fluke out a GC win TBH. Because that likely buys Maas 5 years. And he will embarass them for those 5 years. Maas is a terrible coach, IMO. And Edmonton has enough talent, but they keep morons on the roster thanks to him. I will be very afraid that Edmonton could join Calgary to make the West impossible to crack if Edmonton ever got another coach. He's the only thing preventing a complete domination by Alberta in the West for the next 5 years. And yes I assume Calgary will recover and probably win the west again next year.

So in conclusion as a Winnipegger born and raised who spent 8 years living in Edmonton...I hope for 5 more years of Maas. Sorry @Kyle McMahon haha the arrogance I experienced dealing with Esks fans in Edmonton makes me want them to lose forever. Of course you personally is one of the most sensible and smart CFL fans I've had the priviledge of communicating with so I don't wish it on you personally. And luckily my worst case scenario for you guys is very unlikely. I'd love to have West Final eventually with the Esks, assuming the Riders are out of the playoffs with 2 wins haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad