CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think alot of Wilder's struggles simply come from Toronto being terrible. He was horrible last week, but yesterday he was actually the only weapon working for Toronto. He is a tough man to bring down, but it seems like first contact for him is in the backfield more than anyone else in CFL. The Argo's O-Line is horrible and teams are daring Franklin to beat them in the air so are loading the box on Toronto.

To be honest I am shocked how poor Toronto looks this year. I had them winning the division, I REALLY liked Franklin in Edmonton and thought he was the next star starting QB in the CFL. He went from disappointing to disaster yesterday, IMO. Just horrendous decisions with little to no spark brought to the offense. For a guy who is in his 4th year (IIRC) it's basically inexcusable. Their defense has very little push up front. A play like the punt block last night seems to me like the team has quit. Special teamer Miller came UNTOUCHED through the A GAP on a punt. I mean for me it looked like the scene from a longest yard where the O-Line "sends a message" to the QB by not blocking. I was sitting there wondering if the Toronto kicker did something to his cover team.

What happened to Toronto's O-line? Seemed to be one of their strengths last year, but you're right, they aren't getting it done now. I too expected them to be a decent team, 1-5 is surprising. That said, it's all against the West. So as bad as they've looked, it's still early.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Thoughts on today...

Hamilton has no run game at all. Masoli isn't playing poorly, but you need a running game to be successful. It's yet another indictment of Mike Benevides that they somehow walked into Commonwealth and nearly put up 40. Early season optimism is all gone now, the fans were rightfully pissed at the end of the game today.

With a 2-game lead and both games against Calgary out of the way, the East is Ottawa's to lose now. .500 the rest of the way probably gets it done.

Not sure what exactly to make of the Calgary-Sask game. Astounding that a team can be down 24-0 at home after one quarter. Yet without the help of bad officiating to negate two turnovers, the Stamps wouldn't have scored another point. Saskatchewan's offense was simply too poor to fully overcome the deficit. Another TD-less outing from them. How far away is Collaros? Bridge doesn't seem able to complete anything over 15 yards and defenses can just clog up the middle of the field.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think Simeoni Lawrence might be the most overrated player in the league. All talk, very average.

Nah he is still an elite defender in the league. Before last season it would have been undeniable, last year Lawrence was lackluster and I was getting worried that he may take a quick decline. So far this year though, I would say he has had a more vintage energy to him which is encouraging to see. He is obviously not the same guy from 4 years ago, but that is just the reality of football. Still really good though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Masoli isn't playing poorly, but you need a running game to be successful.

Running game and just a better O-line performance overall. Masoli looked good when he had the time to throw off of his back foot, too much scramble to be accurate for the most part.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Another week in the books, the West continues to look like the class of the CFL. Got to think when they expand to Halifax realignment occurs to a 10 team division where the top 6 teams in the league make the playoffs.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Agree, guy's a heck of a player but still what he is charged with is serious business and if guilty he may be looking at jail time.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If Manziel comes away with the W on Friday night it may be the end of me. I liked the trade for Hamilton but my goodness it would be frustrating to lose to this Als team with Manziel at the helm.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If Manziel comes away with the W on Friday night it may be the end of me. I liked the trade for Hamilton but my goodness it would be frustrating to lose to this Als team with Manziel at the helm.

Everyone except Saskatchewan has pretty much toyed with the Als this year. I'd say it's more likely that BC beats Calgary than Als beat Hamilton (neither is happening).

I get why bye weeks are good, but damn it sucks not to have any Bombers football this week. I'm already itching for another game, it feels like the Bombers were just finding their stride, one disastrous half in BC aside.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Will be interesting to see how Manziel does. To me he has the talent to do some good things in the CFL we'll see what happens.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Hamilton has a good defense. I can't see that brutal Alouette offense hitting 20 points against them, even if Johnny provides a spark. I don't think they blow them out, but this should still be a comfortable win. If it's not, time to ask some serious questions about the Cats.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
What a finish in the Toronto/Ottawa game, looked like a blowout early on

Disappointed in Ottawa’s defense that game.

Knew it was heading that way when Ottawa got the very odd unneccesary roughness call on Rose, and the one play wasn’t ruled an intentional grounding on the final drive.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hard to believe the Argos were able to come back from that game. What a catch to tend it all off!

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Disappointed in Ottawa’s defense that game.

Knew it was heading that way when Ottawa got the very odd unneccesary roughness call on Rose, and the one play wasn’t ruled an intentional grounding on the final drive.

Didn't catch the second half, but not surprising to hear this. There were a few really odd calls in Toronto's favour in the first half. Really had the feel of the CFL trying to keep that franchise relevant and in the hunt for a few more weeks.

I wish I'd recorded the game. How in freaking hell does that horrible Argos offense score 35 in a single half? Noel Thorpe should have been fired before the bus left the stadium.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Didn't catch the second half, but not surprising to hear this. There were a few really odd calls in Toronto's favour in the first half. Really had the feel of the CFL trying to keep that franchise relevant and in the hunt for a few more weeks.

I wish I'd recorded the game. How in freaking hell does that horrible Argos offense score 35 in a single half? Noel Thorpe should have been fired before the bus left the stadium.

MBT played an insanely good second half. The guy does have pedigree. Would be amusing if Trestman found his QB and it isn't Franklin.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK, I was hoping to see if the o-line traded would help solidify that sad sack of shit that is Montreal but Nuuuuupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad