CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
With the addition of Williams alongside Banks, led by an already mobile QB in Masoli i imagine Jones' logic is they're going to move towards a more mobile, quick strike air raid type offense, which iirc is the stuff he coached in college.

Hamliton still wins no matter how you cut it.

I want to see how the OLs solidify Montreal's wall.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
From stats, OL was Montreal's biggest weakness. If the Als can get a starting LT and a starting G that might solve a ton of their problems. As for Montreal's season in le crapper, it's the East. The entire division is merde. Most allowed sacks, least rushing yards, least rushing TDs. As an American, this trade might help you. Also, it's the CFL, it's a FA league. Imagine the Als do something insane like sign for T.O. and sign a bunch of American FAs.

There is still a salary cap and the team still has a lot of holes. They need at least 2 impact receivers, more depth on the defensive side, and hope that Manziel is the real deal.

Washington is a solid OL though.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
From stats, OL was Montreal's biggest weakness. If the Als can get a starting LT and a starting G that might solve a ton of their problems. As for Montreal's season in le crapper, it's the East. The entire division is merde. Most allowed sacks, least rushing yards, least rushing TDs. As an American, this trade might help you. Also, it's the CFL, it's a FA league. Imagine the Als do something insane like sign for T.O. and sign a bunch of American FAs.

There's not alot of quality CFL starting FA's just sitting out there. If there was they'd have been scooped up. NFL cuts are generally just stashed on PR's/back of rosters for future use as they have no experience in CFL game. Notable exceptions are guys returning the CFL but it's not often the returnees have nearly as much success when they return as when they left. Even if they do eventually get back to level it's after a few seasons (see Henoc Muamba). The Als are basically dead already. I mean they were basically dead before the trade, but this just made the season even more lost, IMO.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The funny thing is as bigfatcat said, if Manziel somehow does come out of the gate flying, Montreal is still technically alive in the playoff race at 1-4. Maybe they'll be the next one to go on a late season run, barely make the playoffs and then beat Calgary in the Grey Cup. :laugh:

Especially with Ricky Ray being out for a significant period. Montreal def has life, for the moment anyway.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
There's not alot of quality CFL starting FA's just sitting out there. If there was they'd have been scooped up. NFL cuts are generally just stashed on PR's/back of rosters for future use as they have no experience in CFL game. Notable exceptions are guys returning the CFL but it's not often the returnees have nearly as much success when they return as when they left. Even if they do eventually get back to level it's after a few seasons (see Henoc Muamba). The Als are basically dead already. I mean they were basically dead before the trade, but this just made the season even more lost, IMO.

I'm gonna play patient wise man on this. Montreal's OL sucks and that always kills an offense. Keep it simple for Manzel, playbook wise, get info on Hamilton for their game in 2 weeks and try an salvage what they can.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The funny thing is as bigfatcat said, if Manziel somehow does come out of the gate flying, Montreal is still technically alive in the playoff race at 1-4. Maybe they'll be the next one to go on a late season run, barely make the playoffs and then beat Calgary in the Grey Cup. :laugh:

Especially with Ricky Ray being out for a significant period. Montreal def has life, for the moment anyway.

Franklin had show good showings in Edmonton, with mediocre O-Line in Toronto I think long term Toronto might still be better off with mobile Franklin versus Ray. Of course Franklin has not looked good thus far so I might be wrong.

Regardless the harder battle isn't Toronto for Montreal. It would be catching whoever finishes 3rd between EDM/WPG/SSK/BC.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
As an American, I watch the CFL game of the week on ESPN2. Listen to the games on the TSN ap. I look at the stats of the players Montreal gave up and they are very good at one thing...and average at everything else. Westerman was the team leader in sacks...Williams was great at YAC is what it looks like. Williams did not play last game. Hamilton gave up a LT and a starting G. Montreal can shift their former starting LT to G and solidify 3/5ths of their formerly crappy OL. The same like a lot but 1. they are a year or two ahead. 2. Montreal has a lot of Canadian starters so their ratio is ok.

I'm at a wait and see but, I honestly kinda like this for MTL.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Thinking more about this, i would not at all be surprised to see Montreal try and sign T.O. Dumping Williams with no contingency seems stupid enough, but then you realize T.O could be another desperation move.

How the mighty have fallen. 10 years ago Montreal was the gold standard for all the CFL to follow on and off the field. Now? complete opposite.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thinking more about this, i would not at all be surprised to see Montreal try and sign T.O. Dumping Williams with no contingency seems stupid enough, but then you realize T.O could be another desperation move.

How the mighty have fallen. 10 years ago Montreal was the gold standard for all the CFL to follow on and off the field. Now? complete opposite.

It is easy to be the gold standard when you have a Top 3 QB of all time.

Once Calvillo left it all went down the crapper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I actually don't hatethis deal for the Als if Manziel wasn't such an unknown. Montreal's defense has actually been pretty decent considering how often they're on the field. A decent QB could make them merely 6-12 level bad, as opposed to 2-16 level bad. Drew Willy is absolutely god-awful. You just can't send him out there the rest of the season and not have everyone else on the team completely quit. Manziel at least shows that some effort is being made to improve and keeps some hope in the locker room. Of course if he doesn't provide competent QB play and the Als are still a 3-win team, giving up those draft picks is a disaster.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Sooo, Montreal says Manziel will see the field for some of the game tonight and then sits him on the bench the whole game.

Seems like a desperate attempt for attention/fans in the seats/views.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sooo, Montreal says Manziel will see the field for some of the game tonight and then sits him on the bench the whole game.

Seems like a desperate attempt for attention/fans in the seats/views.

Yeah, that's pretty greasy. There was a whole section of kids, a bunch of them in brand new Manziel jerseys, clearly just here in hopes of seeing him get a few snaps. Sherman could have given him a series in garbage time. Montreal is not a franchise that should be pissing off paying customers at this point. If you're not going to play him, just say you don't know if he'll play.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think they'll play him eventually. Sherman's not fit for the Canadian game but he at least understands how not to throw a guy into the fire/set him up to fail.

I imagine it'll be another week or two before you see Johnny get a crack at it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’ve gotta laugh at all the James Wilder hype TSN had going at the start of the season. Talk of him going 1000/1000. Guy didn’t even have ONE 1000 yard season in the league yet, and they were going crazy over him.

Now he has 222 yards in 6 games. lol.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
He's looking like a one-year wonder. Not all that uncommon for running backs in the CFL. You have to wonder if Toronto refusing to release him to tryout for the NFL has killed his passion this season.

Toronto and Montreal both looking like turds so far, yet if Ottawa beats Hamilton this afternoon they are both just 2 points out of a playoff spot.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He's looking like a one-year wonder. Not all that uncommon for running backs in the CFL. You have to wonder if Toronto refusing to release him to tryout for the NFL has killed his passion this season.

Toronto and Montreal both looking like turds so far, yet if Ottawa beats Hamilton this afternoon they are both just 2 points out of a playoff spot.

I think alot of Wilder's struggles simply come from Toronto being terrible. He was horrible last week, but yesterday he was actually the only weapon working for Toronto. He is a tough man to bring down, but it seems like first contact for him is in the backfield more than anyone else in CFL. The Argo's O-Line is horrible and teams are daring Franklin to beat them in the air so are loading the box on Toronto.

To be honest I am shocked how poor Toronto looks this year. I had them winning the division, I REALLY liked Franklin in Edmonton and thought he was the next star starting QB in the CFL. He went from disappointing to disaster yesterday, IMO. Just horrendous decisions with little to no spark brought to the offense. For a guy who is in his 4th year (IIRC) it's basically inexcusable. Their defense has very little push up front. A play like the punt block last night seems to me like the team has quit. Special teamer Miller came UNTOUCHED through the A GAP on a punt. I mean for me it looked like the scene from a longest yard where the O-Line "sends a message" to the QB by not blocking. I was sitting there wondering if the Toronto kicker did something to his cover team.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting. Rumour was Hamilton couldn't sign Chapman so he was exploring options outside of football. Now he signed with Denver in NFL. If things go sideways in Hamilton which it looks like they might he might be negotiating with a new GM/HC soon enough and we might eventually see him in CFL. This is good, IMO.

Still surprising Hamilton didn't do more legwork with the guy they were targeting for #1 (since they clearly planned to move up). You'd think they'd have talked to him more to ensure he'd be under contract.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm watching the Hamilton game and I think the Manziel trade killed Hamilton's OL. A LOT of rushing at the RG gap and it's killing Hamilton.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Early in the season, but man, Calgary should win the Grey Cup this year.

Every summer it's the same story it seems. Calgary looks just unbeatable. They tend to get more beatable as the season wheres on. It's crazy that Mitchell only has one Grey Cup, considering his record as a starter. We shall see if he can add to it, but I won't put another choke past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad