The case of Alex Debrinecat; and why are NHL GMs so stupid?

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Bolded is not even remotely close to being true. DeBrincat diddnt luck into any opportunity because of injury. He’s been in the lineup since day one and played all 82 games so I really don’t know where you are pulling that out of. If anything hawks fans have been upset with the lack of opportunity that Q gives him. He’s always been one of the lower ice time forwards playing in the bottom 6... and he still was able to lead the Blackhawks in goals as he was as he was still finishing up his freaking high school diploma. Please do explain what opportunity he was gifted. I’m curious to hear the explanation there.

It’s cool if you want to defend your teams guy but you don’t have to make things us about DeBrincat to try and drop him to the same level. DeBrincats game is what got him his opportunity and nothing else.

He didn't get into the lineup because of injury but his Power Play time, role with the top 6 and ice time were increased due to injury, anyone who follows Chicago knows the head coach their doesn't exactly play and trust their young players with key roles unless your name is Kane and Toews. The injuries forced his hand last year. Being out of the playoffs and Chicago having a down year was probably the best thing for DeBrincat, he got opportunities that just don't come easily to young players in Chicago.

And I have no idea what you mean by "defend your teams guy" I don't own a team or even have a favorite team

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He didn't get into the lineup because of injury but his Power Play time, role with the top 6 and ice time were increased due to injury, anyone who follows Chicago knows the head coach their doesn't exactly play and trust their young players with key roles unless your name is Kane and Toews. The injuries forced his hand last year. Being out of the playoffs and Chicago having a down year was probably the best thing for DeBrincat, he got opportunities that just don't come easily to young players in Chicago.

And I have no idea what you mean by "defend your teams guy" I don't own a team or even have a favorite team
I am curious, what injury?

also, his power play time was a complete joke. he started off the season playing over 2 minutes a night on the power play, then for some insane reason for stretches he played under 1 minute of power play time and then almost a dozen games where he saw ZERO ice time on the power play. and one would assume that his power play time would have gotten better as the year went on since he was one of the top goal scorers for the team, but nope, that really didn't happen either as he had crazy stretches to end the year of games under a minute and a half of power play time. the guy averaged I believe the second lowest amount of ice time of ANY top 10 calder finalist and still almost hit 30 goals. he did not get there because of increased ice time, power play time, or openings because of injuries...he just stayed consistent and produced with the shit he was given from the senile coach Q.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

Again this is not true at all. I really don’t know why your trying to double down when you clearly just threw some shit out there and got called on it. So anyway.... Exactly what injury are you talking about that made DeBrincats PP ice time go up? DeBrincat scored on the PP in his fourth career game and we had absolutely zero injuries at that point. He was getting PP time while we were at full strength and then like AmericanDream said, Q started f***ing with his ice time and deployment and started giving Sharp more looks on the PP.

And what role in the top 6 are you talking about? DeBrincat almost never played in the top 6. He had a short stint with Toews and Duclair when we traded for him at the deadline but other than that DeBrincat was mostly on the third line. I think his most common linemates were a past his prime Sharp and Ryan Hartman. Even at the end of the year when the hawks were out of it, DeBrincat still primarily stayed on the third line.

DeBrincat lead the Hawks in goals while he was 9th on the team in PP TOI and averaged less than 15 min of ice time a game playing in the bottom 6. I don’t know how anyone in their right mind could be arguing he was gifted any iceime. You could really only argue that Q’s deployment of DeBrincat actually hurt his potential to score more. Kid is really good.

Edit - I guess sorry for assuming your a Dallas fan. That just makes this that much more strange that your willing to instantly make things up about DeBrincat to defend a Dalllas prospect then.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Not every team is looking to take a risk on a small skilled guy at the end of the first round. Some GMs are happy getting a safe third liner or a safe bottom pairing defenceman. At least those guys are more likely to make it in the role they were drafted to do instead of the smaller skilled guys probably having just a 10% chance of reaching their potential.
Those teams are incredibly stupid. Safe third liners and bottom pairing defenseman are like the cheapest assets available every summer (assuming you're smart).

A competent person (it's usually the head scout who decides who to pick by the way, not the GM, very common misunderstanding here on HF) takes that 10% chance of getting a DeBrincat every single time, instead of a similar chance of getting some relatively worthless bottom of the lineup grinder (another misconception, bigger less talented "future checker" type of "safe" players aren't actually more likely to hit than small skill types).

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Those teams are incredibly stupid. Safe third liners and bottom pairing defenseman are like the cheapest assets available every summer (assuming you're smart).

A competent person (it's usually the head scout who decides who to pick by the way, not the GM, very common misunderstanding here on HF) takes that 10% chance of getting a DeBrincat every single time, instead of a similar chance of getting some relatively worthless bottom of the lineup grinder (another misconception, bigger less talented "future checker" type of "safe" players aren't actually more likely to hit than small skill types).

That's exactly it. You can get these grinder type 3rd/4th liners every ufa period for cheap. So why waste a prime asset like a 1st (or honestly any pick) on a player who would have no chance of becoming an impact player.

Not to mention it's more likely that a high skilled player adapts his game to be able to play in the bottom 6 rather than a prospect who can't even score in junior to suddenly develop NHL level skill.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Conversely the team that passes on guys like Horvat or O'Reilly in favor of guys like Debrincat ends up with guys with better boxcars but probably less games won in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad