The Capuano Countdown Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesNation1995

Oct 22, 2013
this just needs to end. cap is not going anywhere. lets stop praying for our team to get killed every night. lets start beLIeveing. we are only 9 points out

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
this just needs to end. cap is not going anywhere. lets stop praying for our team to get killed every night. lets start beLIeveing. we are only 9 points out

Couldn't agree more. As much as I'd want to see Cappy go, I much rather see this team back in the playoffs.

Last edited:

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I know everyone is talking about Lavy, what about Kevin Dineen as a replacement. he was good with fl when he first started and well respected during his playing days ....

scott99

May 13, 2005
Cappy is our coach for the rest of the year. I've said it 100 times, and this will be my last time. Anyone who has hope he will get fired, doesn't know how the Islanders operate. There is ZERO accountability, ZERO caring, and ZERO money for a top notch coach. Last year's playoff appearance bought Cappy and Snow another year. What Snow is saying in the press confirms this (not looking to fire the coach or blame him for the losses), and was probably handed down from above (Wang).

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
How many years in a row is this with just an abysmal November/December stretch? Last night's win was great, but this stretch most likely eliminated us from the playoffs.

m8nn.png

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
How many years in a row is this with just an abysmal November/December stretch? Last night's win was great, but this stretch most likely eliminated us from the playoffs.

m8nn.png

The metro is so weak, if the right bodies were brought in, and a real coach... long shot but not impossible. Barring the above happening though... it is hard to imagine Poulin or any current goaltender can do what we saw last night consistently. The Sharks had been having issues on their pp. In more games that 30% pk failure rate will kill them.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Cappy is our coach for the rest of the year. I've said it 100 times, and this will be my last time. Anyone who has hope he will get fired, doesn't know how the Islanders operate. There is ZERO accountability, ZERO caring, and ZERO money for a top notch coach. Last year's playoff appearance bought Cappy and Snow another year. What Snow is saying in the press confirms this (not looking to fire the coach or blame him for the losses), and was probably handed down from above (Wang).

Like toddlers playing with a puzzle, they are having fun, not knowing what to do, maybe some pieces stick together, maybe some are forced, nobody there to teach or mentor or guide. There's a chance they will get it right, not bloody likely though.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
dumb question but whats ROW?

Regulation and Overtime Wins

SO wins still count as 2 points, but ROW are more important in the standings. If a team is tied in points and has the same record, the team that has more ROW will be the higher seed.
Example: 2 teams are 10-5-2 with 22 points total. One Team won 9 games in regulation or overtime and 1 in a SO, the other 7 with 3 SO wins. The team with the 9 ROW is the higher seed

So out of the 9 games the isles have won, only 5 have been decided not in a SO

and on the topic of this thread, with last nights win the countdown has been reset....sooo barring another insane losing streak, Cappy is here until the end of the season

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Regulation and Overtime Wins

SO wins still count as 2 points, but ROW are more important in the standings. If a team is tied in points and has the same record, the team that has more ROW will be the higher seed. So out of the 9 games the isles have won, only 5 have been decided not in a SO

and on the topic of this thread, with last nights win the countdown has been reset....sooo barring another insane losing streak, Cappy is here until the end of the season

To add to this... because of the loser point system, the standings are always much more bunched up than they used to be. That was the point, to keep the races tighter and keep teams in it longer. This makes ROW important, especially if you are chasing other teams.

So, we are pretty much toast in this tiebreaker. If we go on a miraculous run and tie someone toward the top of the division, we will need to make up about 7 games in ROW. So said team would need to win a huge chunk of the games they win via the shootout while we beat teams in regulation or overtime.

It's similar to losing both games against a divisional opponent in the NFL, which essentially means you are an extra game behind.

Thus, today... we aren't 9 points out. We are 10.

I'm sure not a lot of this matters... just saying.

peter021

Apr 2, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
Arthur Staple up on NHL Live right now.

"As secure as his position could be" when asked about Capuano's job. Snow believes it's more of a roster issue with injuries and guys under long-term contracts not producing.

Doesn't feel that Capuano's lost the team. "They're young and confidence can be a fragile thing."

Praised deHaan's play and mentioned Strome should get PP time with Grabner (0 goals since first game) and Bailey (0 goals in 20+ games) not producing.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Arthur Staple up on NHL Live right now.

"As secure as his position could be" when asked about Capuano's job. Snow believes it's more of a roster issue with injuries and guys under long-term contracts not producing.

Doesn't feel that Capuano's lost the team. "They're young and confidence can be a fragile thing."

Praised deHaan's play and mentioned Strome should get PP time with Grabner (0 goals since first game) and Bailey (0 goals in 20+ games) not producing.

I knew Grabs was cold but he hasn't scored since game 1?:amazed:

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
We're not making the playoffs. It's pointless to get your hopes up. They will only be crushed.

Pretty much. Kind of pisses me off that amidst a 10 game losing streak, and losing 15 out of 17 games, it took so long to do ANYTHING. Regin and PMB played practically every game of that period. It took until like game 14 of that streak to switch call up/down DeHaan/Donovan. Which was the only actual roster move that we did during that period, aside from the crap Martinek experiment and being forced to bring in a body in Ness. The PMB move came after the 17 games, as did the Strome move.

17 games and we make one move that wasn't forced upon us, and we had to exhaust the Martinek experiment before looking to DeHaan. And this stretch sunk our season. In a stretch of 17 games where you only win 2, I'd like to see more done.

For reference, the most we were ever out of it last year is when we were 13-15-3 for 29 points. We were 12th in the conference, 3 points out of 8th. We then went on a ridiculous run and only grabbed the 8th seed. It was a shortened season, so not apples to apples as teams couldn't have been so far out of it with so few games, but it does illustrate how close to impossible it is to dig yourself out of a hole in the new NHL points system. And our management just chewed bubble gum on the sidelines watching a full calendar year go to waste in a matter of 3 weeks.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Some words of wisdom from the Oiler's coach following their turnaround:

The first-year head coach of the Edmonton Oilers admitted Wednesday he’s now coaching the team he has — as opposed to coaching the team he wants it to become.

In questioning from your correspondent, Eakins confessed he’s not coaching the team the same way he did at the beginning of the season.

Quote-unquote: “If your group isn’t suited to play that way, I think that’s pretty damn stupid of the coach.â€
Someone read this to Fred Flintstone before the Sun archives it.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/11/edmonton-oilers-head-coach-dallas-eakins-says-expectations-approach-retooled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad