GDT: The captain's back: CGY @ BOS - 5PM MT

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I thought the new acquisitions played with confidence. Two pros with no fire drills going on in our own end. I also noticed that the D as a whole wasn't giving up our blue line that easily. Someone must have read the riot act to them.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Missed the game, very pleasantly surprise we won. The two new dmen must be playing well. When Gio comes back, we may have a solid defense for the first time this year.

Backlund totally turned his season around. A month ago, he couldnt score on an empty net.

Oh how we sometimes forget the valleys when times get good again. Yes he had a pretty rough season prior.

Heck, even our first line is crawling toward respectability. Imagine if they went on a 15 game heater? People might actually misremeber the first 2/3 of the season. Which, I can somewhat live with.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I wonder how many 20+ goal players we'll end up with this year. Possibly 6.

And possibly only 1 30 goal scorer if Lindy stays on pace.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
he could've probably got us a first AND two seconds if we never traded for him.

#facts

anyways hopefully he's watching the importance of gap control and steps his game up when he returns.

You guys are so disrespectful to a guy that got his jaw broke in the first game last year then for the rest of the year held himself together with binder twine and duct tape for the rest of the year bleeding Flames blood.

Has Hamonic been less impressive this season... yes.. but dollars to donuts there is a reason. There are few players that give to the community like this man does every day.

Reactions: Nanuuk

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You guys are so disrespectful to a guy that got his jaw broke in the first game last year then for the rest of the year held himself together with binder twine and duct tape for the rest of the year bleeding Flames blood.

Sorry, but these are millionaires who play a sport for a living. I'm not going to go around treating them as if they're altruistic organ donors or Terry Fox.

Has Hamonic been less impressive this season... yes.. but dollars to donuts there is a reason. There are few players that give to the community like this man does every day.

He's a good person. No one attacked his character so you're not really saying anything we didn't already know. We didn't pay a 1st + two 2nds for his community work.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Lucic was a gigantic steaming pile of garbage last night and was directly responsible for both goals against. Not a surprise considering how he has played against his former teams previously. Dube was flying, but was dragged down by his two linemates.. put him with Bennett please, although I did like the play of the 4th line last night.

Other than the third line that was arguably the most complete effort this team has shown this season. The two new acquisitions were really good, and this team now has 7 guys on the back end (with Hammer healthy) that can legitimately play 20+ minutes a game without any worries - very few teams can say that.

If the offense keeps clicking this team will finish the season extremely strong - and be buzzing heading into the playoffs as opposed to slumping like last season.

With all that said.. I still can't find myself being overly optimistic about this roster until we see some consistency. Now would be the time to show that. I find it encouraging that our "big names" in Johhny, Monahan, and Tkachuk all managed to step up in a vastly important game against an "elite" team in the NHL.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lucic was a gigantic steaming pile of garbage last night and was directly responsible for both goals against.

He had the giveaway on the marchand goal, but it was Hanifin who didn't do his job and allowed that to become a breakaway when it should have been a one v one at best.

He had no way of changing the outcome of the Kuraly goal other than making an unlikely play in midair along the boards. Rittich threw an ill-advised pass and then Ryan got outmuscled down low. Rittich and Ryan are to blame for that goal.

I'm not even a Lucic apologist but your comments are unfair.

Reactions: Nanuuk

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He had the giveaway on the marchand goal, but it was Hanifin who didn't do his job and allowed that to become a breakaway when it should have been a one v one at best.

He had no way of changing the outcome of the Kuraly goal other than making an unlikely play in midair along the boards. Rittich threw an ill-advised pass and then Ryan got outmuscled down low. Rittich and Ryan are to blame for that goal.

I'm not even a Lucic apologist but your comments are unfair.

The puck lands directly on the stick of one of the games elite point producers in the neutral zone due to a horrific giveaway in transition at the oppositions blue line and you are going to blame the defensemen there for being caught flatfooted? Do you truly expect Hanifin to anticipate that play?That is 100% on Lucic. Hanifin was positioned where any other defensemen would have been on that play.

I also disagree on the 2nd goal.. That is a play that the vast majority of NHL players should be able to corral or at the very least get a stick or body on.. Regardless.. he was turning over the puck all night long. He had a piss poor game - I can't possibly imagine anyone disagreeing with that.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The puck lands directly on the stick of one of the games elite point producers in the neutral zone due to a horrific giveaway in transition at the oppositions blue line and you are going to blame the defensemen there for being caught flatfooted? Do you truly expect Hanifin to anticipate that play?

The defenseman's job on the PP is absolutely to anticipate giveaways on attempted PP entries. Teams rarely dump the puck in on the PP because it's such an easy clear for the opponent. So yes I expect Hanifin, or Gio, or Andersson, or Brodie, or Kylington, or Gustafsson, or Valimaki to cover for their forwards' NZ giveaways on the powerplay if they are given the priveledge to play in that role.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The defenseman's job on the PP is absolutely to anticipate giveaways on attempted PP entries. Teams rarely dump the puck in on the PP because it's such an easy clear for the opponent. So yes I expect Hanifin, or Gio, or Andersson, or Brodie, or Kylington, or Gustafsson, or Valimaki to cover for their forwards' NZ giveaways on the powerplay if they are given the priveledge to play in that role.

Milan's reaction on the play says it all. It was a bang-bang play that deflected directly back onto Marchand's stick... I honestly don't know what you expect Hanifin to do in that situation.

Do you expect him to still be on his own blue line while the puck is already being transitioned into Boston's end? He was at center ice..

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

I have no issues with Hamonic as a person, but the reality is he hasn't been worth that we gave up for him and the direction the game is going isn't suited for him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Looking back, it's unbelievable that Treliving paid more for Hamonic than the Blues did for Schenn. Such an egregious misuse of assets.

Also, they should send Kylington down as soon as Giordano's healthy instead of letting him rot in the press box for the rest of the season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Looking back, it's unbelievable that Treliving paid more for Hamonic than the Blues did for Schenn. Such an egregious misuse of assets.

Also, they should send Kylington down as soon as Giordano's healthy instead of letting him rot in the press box for the rest of the season.

Poor Oliver, he should be playing with Gio.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I think I read he was already cleared for the Stockton roster for their playoff push if need be.
I expect Oliver down in Stockton playing 1D minutes down there. Overcooking never hurts.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hammer has been pure trash this year. See hanifin’s recent play with Andy and it’s embarrassing the coaching staff kept a failed experiment for so long. I wouldn’t even give him a 3x3 at this point, guy is strictly a third pairing guy at this point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Milan's reaction on the play says it all. It was a bang-bang play that deflected directly back onto Marchand's stick... I honestly don't know what you expect Hanifin to do in that situation.

Do you expect him to still be on his own blue line while the puck is already being transitioned into Boston's end? He was at center ice..

Someone who's never played hockey, basketball or any other fast paced transition sport would question the Dman or the positional player.
The puck is turned off a deflection, directly on someone's stick in the neutral zone, already skating forward he Dman has to literally loop around to even help contain the breakaway.

It's a bang-bang play, if you watch most zone entries on PP's nowadays, there's essentially 4 guys sitting on the blueline waiting for the carrier to enter the zone. Lucic was the one upset with himself after the play, but hey, online anonymous posters always know more than... actual NHL players?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Someone who's never played hockey, basketball or any other fast paced transition sport would question the Dman or the positional player.
The puck is turned off a deflection, directly on someone's stick in the neutral zone, already skating forward he Dman has to literally loop around to even help contain the breakaway.
This is it. You really can't blame Hanifin on that play, any defenseman would be beaten like he was. That goal is on Lucic, who barely waited to cross the blue line before throwing an errant backhand into a Boston player's legs, causing it to deflect right to Marchand, and away he goes. Hanifin couldn't do any more than he did without taking a penalty himself.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Hammer has been pure trash this year. See hanifin’s recent play with Andy and it’s embarrassing the coaching staff kept a failed experiment for so long. I wouldn’t even give him a 3x3 at this point, guy is strictly a third pairing guy at this point.

Noah Hanifin has 8 points in 9 games and is a +3 since Hamonic went down with injury.. I honestly just don't understand how a coaching staff could watch that pair struggle for so long and not do a damn thing about it. It was the same situation with Brodie and Hamonic as well.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Noah Hanifin has 8 points in 9 games and is a +3 since Hamonic went down with injury.. I honestly just don't understand how a coaching staff could watch that pair struggle for so long and not do a damn thing about it. It was the same situation with Brodie and Hamonic as well.

You just have to let that pairing die.
When Hammer comes back, he should rotate with Forbort as the bottom pair guy, and that's about it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I have no issues with Hamonic as a person, but the reality is he hasn't been worth that we gave up for him and the direction the game is going isn't suited for him.

Are those of a similar though pattern sure they have the full story? Are you sure there isn't an injury or deficiency from a previous injury in a Flames uniform that has impacted his play?

Unless you are sure there is no reason for a drop in his play maybe some around here should be a little more respectful to a player that has played some of the toughest minutes in Calgary. I am not saying Travis has performed to expectations but a little respect shouldn't be that hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad