The Captaincy

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There is a big difference between Hall yelling at Yak and Roy yelling at Yak.
Hall was making some of the same mistakes as Yakupov and his yelling was probably reactionay. Roy was trying to mentor, yelling to get things through to Yakupov.

All I can say is lol to this type of post. A different type of yelling. Come on. Anyways...did this yelling ever even take place? Or is it just something perpetrated around here without any substance like a lot of the things that get thrown around here. Anyone got any clips of hall yelling at yakupov? There's one of fasth blowing up on the team, so if it actually happened in any meaningful way you'd think there would be a clip of it or something right? How about a date it happened?

As far as I'm concerned this sort of thing is the same crap that goes around here where people suggest hall looks unhappy when yakupov scores or something like that. It's all just a crock.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I would give the C to Hall in the middle of an important game. Much like Coach Orion to Charlie Conway in Mighty Ducks 3. Who knows, Hall could end up being part of a 3vs5 short handed goal to win the game in the dying seconds.

I have no problem giving the C to Hall after watching him this season. Even though some of you want some constructive yelling from him, I look at him more of a lead by example type of a leader. He works his butt off shift after shift and that's just a beautiful sight. I never bought into the notion that the C should go to the best player. To each their own, I suppose.

My top three candidates in no order: Hall, McDavid, Nurse. These three are the leaders of the team in the next phase of this 20 year rebuild we have been in.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hall is playing great. Maybe some of it is motivated by him wanting to be a leader. Let's not rush to pass out rewards though, that has been the Oiler way for 10 years now, management applauding partial seasons of greatness like it's going to last forever and all our problems are solved. Let him keep it up all year. And if he is being a good leader off the ice too, no doubt McLellan gives him the C this summer.

I do think we can trust Chia and McLellan's judgement on this. Even though McLellan had a totally weird situation in San Jose with C's, I don't think that was really his fault. They'll do the right thing there. But, there are lots of young great potential leaders all on this team, it'll still take time. Especially considering the team still hasn't accomplished anything significant yet.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
It took McDavid only 13 games to pretty much be unanimously voted here as the future captain. It's a testament to Hall that he's forced his name back into the conversation but once McDavid returns I think it will be clear once again.

Any ways I have full confidence in the staff who will be making the decision regardless of who gets picked

Hall is a great ambassador for our city and team but anybody still think McDavid won't be the future captain? No reason not to let the season play out and reassess but I predict it will be given to him this summer and will be shocked if he is not the C by his third year

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
All I can say is lol to this type of post. A different type of yelling. Come on. Anyways...did this yelling ever even take place? Or is it just something perpetrated around here without any substance like a lot of the things that get thrown around here. Anyone got any clips of hall yelling at yakupov? There's one of fasth blowing up on the team, so if it actually happened in any meaningful way you'd think there would be a clip of it or something right? How about a date it happened?

As far as I'm concerned this sort of thing is the same crap that goes around here where people suggest hall looks unhappy when yakupov scores or something like that. It's all just a crock.

IIRC It was a game in Long Island against the Islanders, Yak and Hall were on a line together, might have been a PP. There was a set play off the draw that Yak seemed to pooch and the camera caught Hall getting in Yak's ear afterwards. That's it, that's the story. It's probably the kind of thing that happens a dozen or more times in a game, but because it was on the TV, it fed into this narrative that Hall and Eberle and Nuge were a clique and Yak was on the outs because he didn't party or some dumb crap like that. Can't believe it still has legs.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
IIRC It was a game in Long Island against the Islanders, Yak and Hall were on a line together, might have been a PP. There was a set play off the draw that Yak seemed to pooch and the camera caught Hall getting in Yak's ear afterwards. That's it, that's the story. It's probably the kind of thing that happens a dozen or more times in a game, but because it was on the TV, it fed into this narrative that Hall and Eberle and Nuge were a clique and Yak was on the outs because he didn't party or some dumb crap like that. Can't believe it still has legs.

didn't ya play his "best" hockey after he was getting yelled at by Roy ?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wouldn't surprise me at all if they did a game of "alternating captians", with Hall taking home games and McDavid taking away games or something like that. At this point, I wouldn't want to be picking between the two as to who "deserves" it more.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
We should have a captain to start next season

The probem is, hall probably deserves it right now. But if he's made captain, then McDavid probably never captains this team. If the oil want to name Mcdavid captain, then I would go the safe route and make Hendricks captain next year to give McDavid some extra time. Plus everyone loves Hendricks. Nobody really knows the dynamics of the room so it's hard to say. I also believe the captain doesn't necessarily have to be your best player. Personally, I would go with hall next year. Having a 19 yr old rookie as captain doesn't make much sense to me, regardless of how good he is. Nurse also seems like he would make a great captain in the future too.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not really seeing any benefit to naming a C at this point. Team still sucks, team identity is still a work in progress. Let the A's keep leading as a group. When this team is finally showing we're not longer basement dwellers, then the C discussion can start up, and most likely it will end up being McDavid since it will still take 1-2 years before Chia has fixed enough holes in the lineup for the team to start seriously competing in our conference. Is there really a benefit to Hall having to answer every night about why our poorly built team with still lingering losing culture from the Lowe age can't get out of the basement?

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Not really seeing any benefit to naming a C at this point. Team still sucks, team identity is still a work in progress. Let the A's keep leading as a group. When this team is finally showing we're not longer basement dwellers, then the C discussion can start up, and most likely it will end up being McDavid since it will still take 1-2 years before Chia has fixed enough holes in the lineup for the team to start seriously competing in our conference. Is there really a benefit to Hall having to answer every night about why our poorly built team with still lingering losing culture from the Lowe age can't get out of the basement?

Valid point, but I honestly don't think we're too far away from being a really good team. By adding just a #3-4 Dman in the offseason, I think we're easily a playoff team, potentially making some noise in the 1st round.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The identity of this team will be McDavid not Hall.

Giving it to Hall would be like giving it to Anderson over Gretzky. Hall might currently be the best player, but as we saw last game, McDavid is most definitely the catalyst.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Someone already mentioned this already in the thread and it made alot of sense to me

If Messier had been 4 years older and gotten the C instead of Gretzky would that have been the worst thing?

I personally hate the idea of giving a second year player the C and dont think we should wait. Give Hall the C. McDavid is allowed to be the best player on the team and a leader and not have a C

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Hall deserves it now, give it to Hall. In a few years, when McDavid is the defecto best player in the league, Hall will pass the C to him.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think it should probably be McDavid. The team follows him, it's clear after 14 games. When he's pushing the pace, everyone feeds off of it. Hall's great too, I just don't think he has the kind of profound effect that McDavid does.

Plus, McDavid is literally amazing at every single facet of the game. Not even Hall can say that.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Hall is a world-class Sgt., maybe McDavid will be a better Captain... But its hard to tell. All eyes are certainly on McD right now but lets see how he handles some slumps first.

Hall has put up with a lot, worked through a lot, been the lone catalyst a lot. He has been the engine a lot. He has matured a lot, too... And we know from past interviews that he wants the captaincy. I hope that if they skip over him for McDavid it doesn't sour him too much. They are both great, and Hall is becoming underrated due to the surrounding circumstances..

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't see any reason to burden McDavid with the captaincy this early into his career. There's really no need. If you must have a captain give it to Hall. Honestly I don't think it matters one bit whether Connor gets a C on his jersey ever. But if he must have a C at some point what's the harm of moving it from Hall to Connor in 3 years or so? No one would object.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I think it should probably be McDavid. The team follows him, it's clear after 14 games. When he's pushing the pace, everyone feeds off of it. Hall's great too, I just don't think he has the kind of profound effect that McDavid does.

Plus, McDavid is literally amazing at every single facet of the game. Not even Hall can say that.

A few months back I said we shouldn't be looking at a template from other teams. Chicago and Pittsburgh aren't the biggest sports teams in there respective cities.

Pittsburgh has the Steelers who get alot of attention, and Chicago has diehard football/basketball fans and on/off again bandwagon hockey fans.

We've seen the success stories of players, but there has been lots of lecavalier, thornton type captains who can't handle the pressure.

Mcdavid much like Gretzky have talent and leadership built within there makeup. You have to watch how the team reacts to the player in itself. I said this for years but Gretzky was a better leader than Messier, because much like Hall, Messier was a polarizing player who was great with veteran or similar alpha males. Mcdavid is soft spoken yet has a presence that you would expect him to be good with young, middle, old players. The humility, and humbleness is what has always worked in this market.

Some of the best captains like J. smith, Doug Weight, Fogolin were because of that aspect alone. Mcdavid your going to get a guy who can put all the weight on his shoulders, and at the same time expect it.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Have to think McDavid will captain this team. You can't NOT give the best player on the planet the C. I think Hall will understand and he will continue to help lead this team as an A.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Not to mention that it is pretty common for a team's best player and leader to yell at guys when they aren't doing their job. Messier was renowned for the "stare" and getting at guys when they deserved it. Funny how he was never accused of hating anyone that he called out.

Problem is there are a ton of people around here that think Yakupov needs to be handled with kid gloves and is thus immune from accountability. I'll never for the life of me understand the logic of the people that fawn over Yakupov and concurrently hate on guys like Hall that you know, actually produce and do their job.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid is the focus of a lot of people and that's probably a lot of pressure. Giving McDavid the captaincy is okay, he can handle pressure, but then it's like he's the singular focus of the team.

It would also be a great gesture to Hall to make him captain. It would be a message from us to the public that this team isn't all about McDavid and that Hall is still a major part of it. I doubt McDavid would take it as any insult. He gets tons of credit and attention as it is and probably would like to yield to an older player. McDavid can still be a leader in the room without the C.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Not to mention that it is pretty common for a team's best player and leader to yell at guys when they aren't doing their job. Messier was renowned for the "stare" and getting at guys when they deserved it. Funny how he was never accused of hating anyone that he called out.

Problem is there are a ton of people around here that think Yakupov needs to be handled with kid gloves and is thus immune from accountability. I'll never for the life of me understand the logic of the people that fawn over Yakupov and concurrently hate on guys like Hall that you know, actually produce and do their job.

I was a Hall hater, and Yakupov supporter. The thing is this when your younger if your yelling at someone close in age it never works out unless both of you are alpha males.
It's not uncommon for a player to intimidate another player.

Some guys can yell but they pick the right time and place. Hall made piles of boneheaded plays, got ample ice time so it was viewed as entitlement.

If it was sound veteran player who yelled then you could say at least he has the stability in his game. A stare on the other hand is more effective that's really what you want yelling in my opinion has always been counter productive in all aspects of life.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I love how a few times a year, like the last game, you can hear Hall yelling "****!" at the top of his lungs coming off the ice.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I was a Hall hater, and Yakupov supporter. The thing is this when your younger if your yelling at someone close in age it never works out unless both of you are alpha males.
It's not uncommon for a player to intimidate another player.

Some guys can yell but they pick the right time and place. Hall made piles of boneheaded plays, got ample ice time so it was viewed as entitlement.

If it was sound veteran player who yelled then you could say at least he has the stability in his game. A stare on the other hand is more effective that's really what you want yelling in my opinion has always been counter productive in all aspects of life.

Except Hall actually produces.

Entitlement would be giving Yakupov tons of ice when he makes bonehead mistakes at a much higher volume than Hall without the offense to match.

Nobody here knows what Hall was even after him about. Could have been something that was walked through with Yak a hundred times and he still screwed it up. I don't think it is much of a leap to suggest that Yak is a very difficult and frustrating player to play with given that he has only been able to consistently produce with two players so far in his career, one of which is generational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad