The Captaincy

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
If we didn't luck into McDavid, Hall is an absolute no-doubter captain pick IMO. Still inclined to pick Hall anyways as he has grown tremendously and brought it every night through some very lean years. If McDavid comes back and lights the world on fire and is named captain to start next season I won't be upset either. No more grinder captains please. Always been a firm believer that captains should be players who actually play a lot but that could be just me.

I agree. I want a good player that can be captain for longer than 2 years before we he retires or gets traded. I'm tired of 4th lknees being captains. I think nurse will the best bet in the future.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Hall deserves it now. I would give it to him and see how the next 2-3 years go. If oilers are legit contenders I would let him keep the C and let mcdavid and nurse be assistants. If not they could probably ship Hall out and let Mcdavid take over. Kind of like what philly did with Richards and Giroux. Although philly traded Richards for different reasons.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Why do people think the captaincy should go to the best player aka Mcdavid. It should go to the best leader and most vocal Hall fits this to a T and imo is a much better choice then the reserved personality of Mcdavid.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Why do people think the captaincy should go to the best player aka Mcdavid. It should go to the best leader and most vocal Hall fits this to a T and imo is a much better choice then the reserved personality of Mcdavid.

Well Hall also fit the bill of best player for the last years.

Best leader and most vocal are very subjective points of view. We don't know what goes on in the room and who is the most vocal (most vocal is not always a sign of good leadership). Until McDavid went down everyone kept on saying what a great leader he looked like based on what he was saying and his attitude. I still think he will get it unless his injury period extends for another 2 months. For PR reasons alone (youngest C and all that).

Edit: and again, if we had to chose a C today it would be Hall, but the decision will not be made this season but rather before the 16/17 starts. Could still be Hall of course, but my money is on McDavid.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
one reason to have McDavid as captain is that the primary job of the captain is to talk to refs. Interacting with refs is not Hall's strong suit. Maybe he's getting better with that though

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Totally depends on how you look at it. Sometimes the quieter leaders are better than the most vocal guys. It's more about respect than anything. I always looked up to Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman growing up because they just played hard every game and lead by example.

I was leaning toward McDavid before, but I think Hall's stepped up big time this year and has earned it. He's definitely more in control of his emotions and is having a great season on the ice. At the start of the year, he said that he needed to grow up a bit and he's shown that. New coach, GM, etc. probably changed his mindset too.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
I don't think a rookie should ever be made captain, I don't care how good of a player they are. I have no doudt that McDavid will someday earn the C, but right now the only sane captain on the team is Hall imo. He busts his ass on the ice every night, leads by example. He is carrying the team on his shoulders right now, just as he did even before Connor got injured. I also think Connor has enough pressure on his shoulders, adding captaincy to that, this early in his career is not fair to him. I don't even think McDavid should have an "A" until a couple seasons in at earliest.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
To me leadership is a simple formula.

Experience + Empathy.

Hall lacks empathy. I don't think he really understands how to motivate people, He just gets mad at them and yells at them on the bench.

What Derek Roy did with Yak was true leadership. Took him under his wing, gave him advice, pushed him in the ways that needed pushing. Got him to perform as well as we had ever seen him.

Hall seemed to rarely give Yak the time of day and yelled at him on the bench occasionally (which isn't a good motivational tool). Hall is extremely hard on himself and is hard on those around him. Great in many contexts but not universal.

Less of that 'Cobra Kai' style leadership, and more 'Mr.Miyagi' style leadership.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't think a rookie should ever be made captain, I don't care how good of a player they are. I have no doudt that McDavid will someday earn the C, but right now the only sane captain on the team is Hall imo. He busts his ass on the ice every night, leads by example. He is carrying the team on his shoulders right now, just as he did even before Connor got injured. I also think Connor has enough pressure on his shoulders, adding captaincy to that, this early in his career is not fair to him. I don't even think McDavid should have an "A" until a couple seasons in at earliest.

Next season McDavid won't be a rookie.

Right now no one is or will be captain, next season someone will be.

Yes he does, but so does Hendricks and honestly, on some nights before going down to injury, McDavid seemed to be the only guy really trying.

I don't know how many threads I saw about Hall not being Hall over the course of the first 10 or so games. Hall heated up at the arrival of Draisaitl, prior to that I saw more than one poster suggesting that he should be the first one out from the old core (which was as ridiculous then as it is now imo).

I tend to agree with you that he shouldn't be the captain, but I still think he will be and I bet that half of this board will think he should be by the end of this season because he will be hyped to no end my the media and/or organisation. Maybe hyped is not the right word, but I think they will push the agenda of him being an excellent leader as to lay a base for the decision next October when he will become (imo) the youngest C in the history of NHL.

edit: all of this would be different if we already had a C, but we don't. What we do have is a generational talent, the next big thing in hockey, better than Crosby (or what-ever) etc etc etc and no captain. Add to that that if he is named captain before mid October he will be the youngest C ever and I think the answer is obvious.

I could be completely wrong about this of course. I kind of hope I am because unless he shows generational leadership qualities I also think it is too soon to make him captain, but remember that if he is named captain in October 2016 he will be about 1 month younger than Crosby when he was named captain (although Crosby had two seasons played already) and it would be the same as for Toews, Landeskog and Lecavalier who all became captains after their first season.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Less of that 'Cobra Kai' style leadership, and more 'Mr.Miyagi' style leadership.

Well Cobra Kai should have won since the karate kid won with a clearly illegal head kick (as stated before the tourny started) that should have disqualified him :laugh:

So maybe Cobra Kai is the way to go :sarcasm:

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert

Experience + Empathy.

Hall lacks empathy. I don't think he really understands how to motivate people, He just gets mad at them and yells at them on the bench.

What Derek Roy did with Yak was true leadership. Took him under his wing, gave him advice, pushed him in the ways that needed pushing. Got him to perform as well as we had ever seen him.

Hall seemed to rarely give Yak the time of day and yelled at him on the bench occasionally (which isn't a good motivational tool). Hall is extremely hard on himself and is hard on those around him. Great in many contexts but not universal.

I think Hall has done this, You remeber when Drai was struggling apparently Hall pulled him aside and calmed him down now boom look at them.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

Experience + Empathy.

Jonathan Toews is the kind of guy I'd want as a leader and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't want him as a friend. Seabrook had to calm him down after he was pissed. Super Cobra Kai.

Bad captain? Naw.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Experience + Empathy.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/initially+scared+Yakupov+positive+influence/11305476/story.html

“The first five or six games with Derek I was scared of him,” Yakupov said. “He would be yelling or swearing at me, but it was worth it. Sometimes you’re trying to be everywhere on the ice, but you have to be in your spot and listen to the centre.

lol

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
McDavid will be the captain in a year or two. It is for this reason that Hall is not going to be named captain. At this very point in time he would for sure be a logical choice but perhaps not in a few years and the last thing you want is to have a guy be captain and then give it up.

At the very least go as it is for another year or two and we will know the best choice.

space321

May 11, 2011
McDavid will be the captain in a year or two. It is for this reason that Hall is not going to be named captain. At this very point in time he would for sure be a logical choice but perhaps not in a few years and the last thing you want is to have a guy be captain and then give it up.

At the very least go as it is for another year or two and we will know the best choice.

There's nothing wrong with Hall having the C over McDavid.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm fine with no captain indefinitely.

Hall, Mcdavid, and Nurse come to mind thinking now and future.

But rnh, Hendricks, Ebs, Reinhart, Lander, Leon, heck maybe even Klefbom all supposedly have leadership qualities.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/initially+scared+Yakupov+positive+influence/11305476/story.html

“The first five or six games with Derek I was scared of him,†Yakupov said. “He would be yelling or swearing at me, but it was worth it. Sometimes you’re trying to be everywhere on the ice, but you have to be in your spot and listen to the centre.

lol

Hall doesn't understand how to motivate people yet Drai and McLellan both said Hall helped calm Drai down on the bench when Drai got recalled from the AHL. :rolleyes:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

“The first five or six games with Derek I was scared of him,†Yakupov said. “He would be yelling or swearing at me, but it was worth it. Sometimes you’re trying to be everywhere on the ice, but you have to be in your spot and listen to the centre.

lol

Well, that shuts down that argument.

I have no issue with Hall as captain but I don't see any reason not to wait until the offseason. McDavid may emerge as a clear choice in the second half.
The truth is we, as a fan base, have no idea who it should be. We have no access to the room.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Looks like we are down to 2.. Hall and McDavid

Can Hall really play under McDavid as captain? Can McDavid really lead Hall?
Gretzky and Messier were the same age... Could Gretzky have "lead" Messier if Messier was 6yrs older and already among league leaders when Gretz was just a rookie?
I would think NOT.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

lol

There is a big difference between Hall yelling at Yak and Roy yelling at Yak.
Hall was making some of the same mistakes as Yakupov and his yelling was probably reactionay. Roy was trying to mentor, yelling to get things through to Yakupov.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Leave it as is until the time is right and McDavid gets it. Guys can lead without having a letter on their jersey. We'll get through this.;)

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
There is a big difference between Hall yelling at Yak and Roy yelling at Yak.
Hall was making some of the same mistakes as Yakupov and his yelling was probably reactionay. Roy was trying to mentor, yelling to get things through to Yakupov.

So...we're now down to judging Hall's character by the type of yelling we think he might be directing at poor Yak. In the past.
We'll disregard the obvious influence on Drai and the on ice leadership he's showing.

Whatever fits the agenda.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Hall is the de facto captain as of now I think, his maturity level on and off the ice is dramatically better as the seasons have went on, and he is a born leader/competitor of the Messier ilk. If he pulls out the rest of the season just like this and carries it in to next year I wouldn't have a problem seeing the letter sewn on his jersey.

With that being said, there are still some players showing flashes of brilliance in leadership, we have a few that can easily handle the C in McDavid and Nurse. It will be wise to take a wait-and-see approach, as giving it over to Hall right now might cause an unnecessary rift in future locker room dynamics if either of Nurse or McDavid come along and can't be denied the letter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad