The Captaincy

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've been hard on Hall the past 2 seasons, but I agree. I like this make up of leadership. Though I'd give the A to Klef over Eberle and RNH. I see him having a longer tenure as an Oiler.

Me too. Between RNH and Klefbom, assuming they both stay on the Oilers same time period, its toss up. Klefbom is probaly a bit more vocal, and just gives off the leadership vibe

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Gretzky (McDavid) and Mess (Hall) survived on the same team. Giving one the captain and the other an A is fine. Hall deserves it more than McDavid - other than being the undisputed #1 in the world, he hasn't swam through any rivers of ****. Hall's got enough experience he could probably get first in a **** triathlon

duul

Jun 21, 2010
McDavid is this teams future. A lot of people forgetting that since his injury. He looked far and away to be our best player as a rookie 10 games into his career.

Can you imagine Crosby being an assistant captain? Yzerman? Sakic? Gretz?

Hall knows that. He knows he is part of the leadership core here and seems like he's mature enough to know his role.

Going into next year:

C - McDavid
A - Hall
A - Nurse/RNH
A - Klefbom

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think in about 5 years time the team dynamic will have changed and McDavid will be the heart and soul of the team and the leader on and off the ice

the question will be can both co-exist on the team--that will be the question asked at some point in time

Well it will be the question asked by you.... repeatedly, as it already has been. Without any basis of reason, credibility or explanation.

But no one else will bother to ask it.

They're roommates for gods sake :laugh:

As to the OPs question.

There's no doubt right now that Hall is the pulse of the team on the ice, as has been the case the vast majority of his tenure as an Oiler. But I don't think it really matters if he gets the C or if it goes to McDavid. Both would make fine choices, and I imagine either one of them would get full support from the other, and the rest of the team.

The one benefit of Hall over McDavid is that it takes away one less added pressure from McDavid to be the saviour of the team as a 19 or 20 year old (whenever he'd be named the captain). Hall's older, been around longer and it might suit McDavid to not have to be asked to do it ALL so early in his career.

I would be pretty stunned if it was someone other than Hall/McDavid.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Well it will be the question asked by you.... repeatedly, as it already has been. Without any basis of reason, credibility or explanation.

But no one else will bother to ask it.

They're roommates for gods sake :laugh:

As to the OPs question.

There's no doubt right now that Hall is the pulse of the team on the ice, as has been the case the vast majority of his tenure as an Oiler. But I don't think it really matters if he gets the C or if it goes to McDavid. Both would make fine choices, and I imagine either one of them would get full support from the other, and the rest of the team.

The one benefit of Hall over McDavid is that it takes away one less added pressure from McDavid to be the saviour of the team as a 19 or 20 year old (whenever he'd be named the captain). Hall's older, been around longer and it might suit McDavid to not have to be asked to do it ALL so early in his career.

I would be pretty stunned if it was someone other than Hall/McDavid.

I'd also say Nurse has a puncher's chance at the C, but those two definitely have the highest chances IMO

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
Not long ago Nuge, Eberle and Lander were thought of as candidates as well. The letters aren't so much important to me, more so the general leadership group. McDavid and Nurse will be large contributors to future leadership regardless of who gets the "C". We've been lacking good leaders for some time now.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I love Hendrix's game, and think he's all heart and stuff. But honestly, the last thing this team needs is another "4th liner captain", when was the last time this team had a captain who was even a legitimate "top 6" forward or "top 2" defenseman in this league? Doug Weight I think?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I love Hendrix's game, and think he's all heart and stuff. But honestly, the last thing this team needs is another "4th liner captain", when was the last time this team had a captain who was even a legitimate "top 6" forward or "top 2" defenseman in this league? Doug Weight I think?

Not to mention that Hendricks is a UFA at seasons end and will be 35 starting next season. He's not going to be in this league for much longer.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
my concern giving Hall the captaincy is that as soon as the Oilers hit a rough patch, he will bear the burden and could be run out of town. Edmonton, you are ruthless.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Hall or McDavid.

The way Hall is leading this team while McDavid has been out just shows his leadership. Helping Drai out by giving him advice, when Drai got recalled from the condors. How Purcell gives Hall the game winning puck to give to McLellan shows that Purcell views Hall as a leader on the team. Hall's also been helping in the community with the stollery hospital children. Hall has my vote for C, but if McDavid gets it, I won't complain.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm pretty much on the Hall bandwasgon for C right now. Then I'll be on the McDavid Bandwagon. Every once in a while I hop on the Hendricks one. Doesn't matter who it is, they're all great for the C. Nurse has shown tendencies, as well as Nuge and Ebs. We got lots to choose from. Lucky us!

space321

May 11, 2011
Hall gets the C.

McDavid/RNH/Eberle/Hendricks can rotate the A in home/away games.

You don't need a letter to be a leader in the room, I'm sure guys like Nurse will be a leader as he gets more comfortable in the league.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I think Hall is ready. He's got the respect of the younger guys, he handles the media well, he's captained winning teams (even if it was junior), and he gives it his all. The only downside is that he doesn't have the respect of the referees yet.

I'd run with:
Hall. C
Nurse. A
Hendricks. A
McDavid. A
|I don't think Hall was captain in Windsor when they won back-to-back Memorial Cups.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Regardless of what Hall does or if he is the true leader in the dressing room, the stage is set for Mcdavid to be the captain to open up the new arena. Hall is proving that he is the leader of this team and he should have been named captain when Horcoff left.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I'm of the mind where putting it on the "right" guy isn't all that important. There are a handful of guys that could be good captains on any given team. The vital thing, and I speak having played on a team in this situation, is to not put it on the WRONG guy. IE: Shayne Corson.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hall would be a great choice. To me, if we're giving it to McDavid I would rather wait until the 2017-18 season. If McDavid got it next season, it becomes part of the McDavid hype train. He's the touted prospect. He's been groomed for this forever. He would be our Crosby, etc. I see the appeal in downplaying all that hype and having McDavid being one of many pieces, even if he is the best. I bet McDavid would like that too.

I like Hall as a choice for many reasons. First off, of course he's got the on ice performance and fire that fits well. Second, he's been here since the beginning of the rebuild. He's seen it all and suffered it all. He knows the frustration of losing very well.

Even though I want our next captain to be an elite player and not just another checker captain, the captain doesn't have to be our best player. The Kings won two cups with Dustin Brown as captain. McDavid wouldn't be in Hall's shadow. He would be yielding to a seasoned veteran.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
my concern giving Hall the captaincy is that as soon as the Oilers hit a rough patch, he will bear the burden and could be run out of town. Edmonton, you are ruthless.

I'm thinking the last decade or so has kinda been a bit of a rough patch, I'm not overly concerned about hall been able to handle going through a rough patch.

Hall is my choice, he's already the captain right now in everything but title.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

I look it as a qb on a football team. Who gives you that slight edge to mold the team in your style. Mcdavid just has that makeup to be a leader in a hockey mad market. His calmness and intense yet controlled intensity shows he cares, lays it all out there but can not be sidetracked by being a ragdoll when the games get tough. In a lot of ways he is more mature than Crosby at that age in that he can handle the extremes of being the best in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad