The Captaincy

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
Who gets it and when?

I'm of the opinion that we should have gave it to Hendricks at the beginning of the year, and that he would hold it "Until further notice". Long term I believe it will go to Hall even though I don't think he's ready yet.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Who gets it and when?

I'm of the opinion that we should have gave it to Hendricks at the beginning of the year, and that he would hold it "Until further notice". Long term I believe it will go to Hall even though I don't think he's ready yet.

ya tough call but hall has looked like more of a leader as of late.his game has had that edge and has been getting the job done.would be interesting to see if its a player vote and if so who they think there leader is

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I don't think they name a Captain until the off-season, after Ference has been bought out. I think Hall would be my first choice at this point.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I understand why this thread is started right now, but remember that before McDavid's injury there was already talk about how grown up he is and that he looks like a natural leader. Media will push that agenda, EDM will push that agenda once he is back, because for the media it would be a great story and for EDM it would mean a lot of media attention (=money). He will become the youngest C in NHL history if they name him before mid October (iirc).

The only thing that could stop this, imo, is that he (God forbid) gets injured again, or is back much later than expected from this injury, and remains out of the line up until late Feb or beginning March.

Please note that this is not my preference, I generally don't like young C's (not not even Toews, Crosby or my fellow Swede Landeskog), but I am convinced that it will happen.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I think Hall is ready. He's got the respect of the younger guys, he handles the media well, he's captained winning teams (even if it was junior), and he gives it his all. The only downside is that he doesn't have the respect of the referees yet.

I'd run with:
Hall. C
Nurse. A
Hendricks. A
McDavid. A

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
semi-related, but i liked hearing Hall give Purcell some unprompted credit for his line's success last night, when the question was specifically about him and Drai.

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
I understand why this thread is started right now, but remember that before McDavid's injury there was already talk about how grown up he is and that he looks like a natural leader. Media will push that agenda, EDM will push that agenda once he is back, because for the media it would be a great story and for EDM it would mean a lot of media attention (=money). He will become the youngest C in NHL history if they name him before mid October I think.

The only thing that could stop this, imo, is that he (God forbid) gets injured again, or is back much later than expected from this injury, and remains out of the line up until late Feb or beginning March.

Please note that this is not my preference, but I am convinced that it will happen.

Absolutely McDavid is a serious candidate, and depending on how long Todd decides to wait I think Nurse COULD become a candidate as well.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Hall is acting like the captain lately. On the ice and in interviews.

I think its his.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hall is acting like the captain lately. On the ice and in interviews.

I think its his.

I think in about 5 years time the team dynamic will have changed and McDavid will be the heart and soul of the team and the leader on and off the ice

the question will be can both co-exist on the team--that will be the question asked at some point in time

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Hall is certainly acting like a leader at the moment, but this is going to be McDavid's team.

Maybe you give it to Hall to take the pressure off McDavid, but I trust McLellan to make the right call.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Hall looks ready to be C. No reason to give McDavid added preassure of being captain. His time will come regardless.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
It took McDavid only 13 games to pretty much be unanimously voted here as the future captain. It's a testament to Hall that he's forced his name back into the conversation but once McDavid returns I think it will be clear once again.

Any ways I have full confidence in the staff who will be making the decision regardless of who gets picked

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Hall looks ready to be C. No reason to give McDavid added preassure of being captain. His time will come regardless.

I disagree with this. I'd prefer to give it to Hendricks or some other placeholder and then transition to McDavid in his 2nd or 3rd season. It makes no sense to give it to Hall if you foresee giving it to McDavid a few years down the line.

It'd make sense for Hendricks to pass it off. It'd be kind of insulting to ask Hall to give it up for McDavid later on. I'm not super opposed to giving it to Hall, don't get me wrong. But if we're giving it to him, we better be giving it to him with the intention of leaving it there until he's off the team. Not as a placeholder.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Just give it to Hall, Guys earned it. On and off ice. I remember earlier this year they called a time out and Hall was the guy who made sure everyone was set on the play.

I personally hate giving the captaincy to super young player. I also think McDavid can be a leader in 5 years with an A on his chest if Hall is still here.

He's earned it give it to him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hall became captain in my eyes when Draisaitl was called up, had a shaky start to the game, and Hall sat him down on the bench and said something along the lines of "You're a good player. Go out and play your game!"

He gave the kid confidence.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I agree with the OP, I was hoping to see it go to Hendricks but what they have now is obviously just intended to not hurt Ferences feelings until Hall or maybe McDavid is ready to take the C.

Really impressed with Hendricks. He brings a element that this team needs, and even though he had a small gaff last night on Brauns goal, he still helps this team more than he hurts it.

He's a beauty. Wish we had three Hendricks on this team.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
This is the happiest I've seen Hall. He's having fun on the ice and is looking like a leader - definitely the heart of the team right now. And to think we also have Nurse and McDavid on this team too! That's a strong leadership core.

Nugey McNugeson

Nov 24, 2014
Edmonton
McDavid will eventually be the captain IMO with Hall and Nurse with the A's. I think this will happen beacause connor can serve as the overall leader, while Hall and Nurse will be the emotional leaders of the team

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
It doesnt matter. The captaincy has no effect on the team. It's a symbolic gesture and I really dont understand why anyone cares. Leaders lead no matter what letter is on there chest. Why should anyone care about who can talk to the referee which is all the letter really means.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It says a lot about Hall's character that he's continued to play his ass off through 5+ seasons of ********. I don't know how many players in the entire NHL (let alone this team) could have kept on giving an honest effort in the scenario Hall was thrown into.

I think he's ready to be captain. And if the organization would rather go with McDavid long-term as the captain, then I think Hall will be just fine with that, as I'd be willing to bet that he cares a whole lot more about winning than being captain.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
IMO Hall has been ready for years now, to me he was the logical choice over Ference when Eakins and co. came in.
That being said, we now have Connor McDavid. He will be the captain eventually, one way or another. If he is ready this offseason give it to him, if not rotate the C between a few players and give it to him next offseason.
Honestly though, whoever Mclellan picks i'd be happy with, he knows the locker room more than we do.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hall is looking the captain, give it to him. I know McDavid has great leadership skills, and itd be weird not having the best player (by a good margin) as C, but maybe hed be ok with not having all the spotlight

Another one it could go to is Nurse. He plays the game and is the kind of leader Stevens, Weber or Pronger was (not as good tho). He has that fire that motivates people

Hall-C
McDavid-A
Nurse-A
RNH/Klefbom/Eberle-A

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think in about 5 years time the team dynamic will have changed and McDavid will be the heart and soul of the team and the leader on and off the ice

the question will be can both co-exist on the team--that will be the question asked at some point in time

Hall has co existed with RNH/Eberle/Yak etc as those hyped future stars for 5 years now. I have no doubt hell be more than Ok with McDavid. McDavid just takes some spot light off Hall and im sure hes more than ok with that after years of undeserved critisicm. Unsubstantiated rumor but theyve become pretty good firends off ice since they are living together

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hall is looking the captain, give it to him. I know McDavid has great leadership skills, and itd be weird not having the best player (by a good margin) as C, but maybe hed be ok with not having all the spotlight

Another one it could go to is Nurse. He plays the game and is the kind of leader Stevens, Weber or Pronger was (not as good tho). He has that fire that motivates people

Hall-C
McDavid-A
Nurse-A
RNH/Klefbom/Eberle-A

I've been hard on Hall the past 2 seasons, but I agree. I like this make up of leadership. Though I'd give the A to Klef over Eberle and RNH. I see him having a longer tenure as an Oiler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad