Post-Game Talk: The Canucks: Where wins are made up, and defense doesn’t matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's a little over the top. You get a GM in here that can inspire and get the players to believe again and it can happen.
Is it over the top? Yes Fredo is willing to spend money (that he inherited); but what decent GM will be willing to work with him knowing how he likes to poke his head into hockey operations? You get guys with no backbone like Jethro Bodine. Thus, firing Jethro Bodine might even make the problem worse if he’s replaced by the likes of Weisbrod.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Is it over the top? Yes Fredo is willing to spend money (that he inherited); but what decent GM will be willing to work with him knowing how he likes to poke his head into hockey operations? You get guys with no backbone like Jethro Bodine.

To me the ideal is that you have a president - someone like Gillis or similar for instance - who can manage up and handle Aquilini's ego/personality. After all, it was possible when Gillis was still here because he was able to actually guide this team to sustained success. Then you have breathing room for whoever comes in as GM to actually rework this roster and solve the most pressing needs (defence, bottom 6).

This all depends on the right people being hired for president and GM of course.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Reminds me of the Calgary line brawl game where after juice got tossed he yelled at his teammates “I don’t wanna see a single guy left in this game by the end of the game”

He was a defensman that took the center face off to brawl a guy bigger than him to stand up for a team mate. Who on this current cluster f*** of a team would do that?
It was a rookie that he covered for, wasnt it?

Eff Hartley, that effer

Reactions: LordBacon

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
No press conference announcement yet??

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Indeed, the goaltending hasn’t been an issue this season. This team in front of them has been shit.

Yep. I’ll say it again for the sake of saying it; I feel really bad for Demko and Holtby. They’ve shown up every night and gotten very, very little support. Both seem like good guys on and off the ice, too, which makes it even tougher to swallow.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep. I’ll say it again for the sake of saying it; I feel really bad for Demko and Holtby. They’ve shown up every night and gotten very, very little support. Both seem like good guys on and off the ice, too, which makes it even tougher to swallow.

Agree and disagree.

I agree that they haven't been 'terrible' and that they've been left out to dry by their teammates. And yes, you do feel a bit for them as good guys who are trying hard.

BUT

This is a bit of the old 'Dan Cloutier Justification' where bad goaltending is excused if the goalie isn't letting in absolutely terrible non-chances and all the goals were 'tough chances'. Good NHL goalies stop a majority of tough chances - and these guys haven't stopped enough. We're getting out of small sample sizes now and a .890 team save % isn't acceptable no matter how poor your defense is. Jacob Markstrom would not have a .890 save % behind this defense.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
don't play team sports eh?

this is normal

It may be common, but it's certainly not the norm, and good organizations work to prevent it.

Players work hard and play.

Coaches coach hard and deal with criticizing players.

Well, unless you are identical twins. Then you can criticize each other all you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Agree and disagree.

I agree that they haven't been 'terrible' and that they've been left out to dry by their teammates. And yes, you do feel a bit for them as good guys who are trying hard.

BUT

This is a bit of the old 'Dan Cloutier Justification' where bad goaltending is excused if the goalie isn't letting in absolutely terrible non-chances and all the goals were 'tough chances'. Good NHL goalies stop a majority of tough chances - and these guys haven't stopped enough. We're getting out of small sample sizes now and a .890 team save % isn't acceptable no matter how poor your defense is. Jacob Markstrom would not have a .890 save % behind this defense.

Fair point. Every team needs their goaltender to steal a game for them here and there, and we haven’t really had that at all.

But relying on your goaltender to steal you games as a hockey team is a bad way to approach playing the game.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair point. Every team needs their goaltender to steal a game for them here and there, and we haven’t really had that at all.

But relying on your goaltender to steal you games as a hockey team is a bad way to approach playing the game.
Isn’t that exactly what Marky was doing for us though?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Oh, absolutely. But it worked when we had Markstrom, and management clearly didn't understand how much of our success was built into his efforts.

Demko/Holtby had a combined sub.-900 save % last season. Perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised that they're struggling. Holtby in particular I don't think has looked very good at all. Demko has at least had a couple solid games.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Agree and disagree.

BUT

I don't completely disagree, EVERYONE needs to be better including the goalies....BUT how many breakaways have we allowed? How many point blank chances have we given up? We aren't giving up a lot of "soft" goals compared to the grade A chances we've given up...obviously there have been a few softies, but I don't think we were THIS bad in front of Markstrom...and despite being the team MVP last season he allowed a few stinkers himself.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Among goalies with a mimimum 300 minutes:

upload_2021-2-7_9-38-29.png

Both also have more goals allowed than expected. Still somewhat early, shown by the best goalie in the league last season being 5th worst.

He seems like a good guy but the Holtby signing is quietly awful.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Isn’t that exactly what Marky was doing for us though?

You could certainly argue it happened more often than it should have with Markstrom. He stole us more than his fair share of games. But there were nights where the opposite was true (and it needs to be sometimes) as well.

Right now we aren’t really getting either. But unlike most of the team, I at least think Demko and Holtby are in there battling every night.

Reactions: Luckylarry

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

After seeing Holtby death stare Miller, I have a feeling there gonna drop gloves after the game.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't completely disagree, EVERYONE needs to be better including the goalies....BUT how many breakaways have we allowed? How many point blank chances have we given up? We aren't giving up a lot of "soft" goals compared to the grade A chances we've given up...obviously there have been a few softies, but I don't think we were THIS bad in front of Markstrom...and despite being the team MVP last season he allowed a few stinkers himself.

We weren't quite THIS bad under Markstrom but we weren't far off.

It was a theme over and over again last year that we were badly outchanced and outshot and Markstrom and a hot PP won us the game.

The goalies on last years hapless last-place 17-54 Red Wings team were able to put a .895 on the board, and there's no way our team defense is worse than that team's.

Again, I'm not arguing that they haven't been put in a very poor situation ... but they also haven't played very well, either, outside of a couple games from Demko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad