Post-Game Talk: The Canucks: Where wins are made up, and defense doesn’t matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Expect Green to get fired on the plane back to Vancouver. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Benning fired and Weisbrod as interim GM.

I have already said be careful what you wish for.

I am right in front with the fire Benning crew and have been after watching his total disregard for developing prospects beyond the ones he can instantly insert onto the Canucks roster.

Goalies are the only exception to the rule simply because he has always had 2 under contract and therefore couldn't get them on the roster immediately. He didn't think Markstrom was good to begin with and was shocked to see him do what he did in Utica. So many try to insist he was sent there to find his game. Just like most of the other Canucks when Benning arrived he spent tons of his time trying to erase the players acquired from his predecessor.

Now he has finally been smoked out by the majority of the fan base, who clung to the great drafting trumps the FA and trade acquisition flops. The moves he made this past off season have completely destroyed the good that was accomplished in acquiring the core, and coupled with his past shit contracts destroying cap space and the new contracts that will need to be negotiated and thus, keeping them cap strapped have caused his facade to fall and the wizard behind the screen has been revealed.

Firing Benning is a definite requirement, but the who is next is a HHHH---UUUU---GGGG----EEEE question. If FA simply promotes from within does that mean Wiesbrod? He is even a worse choice than Benning! I know to some that doesn't seem possible, but he has been Benning's right hand since Benning cleaned house of all the hockey minds that were in Vancouver when he arrived. They have been relaced by yes men and those who didn't bow to Benning's wishes have been fired or took jobs elsewhere before hand.

This idea of fire Benning is an absolute, but who goes with him is equally important. After that who is actually in charge of the hiring of the new management team. It has been accepted by most that FA has no idea how to do this. His family has taken part in past endeavors and used the ex-Canucks old boys club as resources for their decision making. Methinks this could even turn out worse, but the deed still has to happen. When the team quits on management, they have to go. I don't envy the lifelong Canucks fan base having to go through this again dreading the results.

We in Utica dread the results as well. A smart management team that cares deeply about it's farm would have to be convinced that keeping their farm on the east coast was profitable for them both financially and for player development, both of which can be supported by very sound evidence.

Benning is in favor of the farm being in Utica, but for the wrong reasons. He doesn't care about developing prospects on the farm because it takes too long. He wants the can't miss or at least close to such on the team right away. The rest he doesn't think will get there anyways and therefore constructing a team around them to enhance their development is unnecessary. He keeps the team here so the west coast fans don't get to see how he has been mismanaging them. He hasn't wanted the heat that knowledgeable fans would have turned up when they saw the way he was ignoring the kids. He is fine with the west coast fan base bashing the Utica powers that be team for their failure to develop prospects. The dolt he has placed here as their GM has made sure it has stayed that way. He is the guy who sent the buildup to Vancouver for Chatfield and Olli, while saying Teves and Eliot are doing a fine job and coming along.

The only guy here in the last 3 seasons that has had serious need for personal development is Lind. Placing him on a line with guys who have to be checked big time by the opposition hasn't allowed Kole to grow. It has allowed him to float and cherry pick from the efforts of the team's top offensive stars. When he gets to Vancouver and has to play on the 3rd or 4th lines his inability to make things happen from his own work will appear to be missing. Remember the guys making him succeed were guys Benning threw away and/or doesn't get success from when brought into Vancouver. Bailey is fast as shit and big. MacEwen is a wild skater, but busts his ass and utilizes his minimal skills to the best of his ability. Oh, and he is also big.

People in Vancouver can't wait for Podkolzin to arrive from the KHL. Goldobin and Boucher are putting up a lot of points in that that league.

Goldobin has 19 points i n35 GP, but that includes the 8 in 14 with his new team.

Bouch has 20G/20A/40 Pts in 47GP and had 34G/33A/67Pts in 53 GP. Same Anas, a Comet this season thanks to St.Louis bringing him on board to help their prospects, had 70Pts and won the AHL scoring title in 63GP. Imagine who would have won that title if Boucher had played 1o more Games.

Bailey had 28G/19A/47Pts in 53GP. He got his first game in Vancouver last night out of the cab in the Canuck's 15th game of the season, played very well and was dumbfoundedly benched for a long period of time. The HF fan base were highly confused.

MacEwen spent most of last season in Vancouver posting 6Pts in 17 GP. He has 1PT in 10GP thisseason, but most who have watched him express approval of his play.

Last year it was Boucher, Baertschi, Bailey, MacEwen, Carter Camper that provided Lind with the opportunity to ride their coattails on regular line shifts and the PP.

This season he is centering last year's top scorer in the AHL, Anas, and Baertschi with 46Pts in 43GP. The result is 2 G in 2GP for Lind. Jasek has 2Pts in 2GP as well. Does that mean we should be increasing hopes that he will join Lind on the Canucks next season or even before this one is over? Incidentally, Anas also has 2 points setting up Lind.

Jasek set up the lone goal vs Syracuse last night.
Jasek set up the lone goal vs Syracuse last night.

Lind scored both of his goals Friday vs Rochester.
Jasek set up the 2nd goal in Rochester on Friday and the Comets lone goal last night vs Syracuse.
Lind is a shooter first and Jasek is a playmaker.
Lind(22) 6'1"/179 AND Jasek(23) 6'1"/173 are still prospects in the works. Both in their 3rd seasons with Utica. Who knows.

Thus, you have not seen Vancouver grow roster replacements from within. Every one of them that has made it to Vancouver have been bottom level roster players that he has gotten rid of and replaced with aging vets on horrible contracts. Don't count Baertschi in this mix because Benning brought him in t play in Vancouver and he did for the better part of 4 seasons. Again the main exception being goalies, Markstrom and Demko. It's obvious from DiPietro's placement this season on the Taxi Squad, that his 2 previous starts resulting in 7-goal blowouts have shown Benning that he has little promise. If he believed in the kid's future he would have acquired a cheap keeper with NHL experience to rot in the Taxi and put his promising prospect back in Utica to continue a development that appeared to be promising.

We have no idea what the results of Benning being fired will bring, but most of us realize that 7 years of this and with the team now in chaos it has to happen. That doesn't mean it will either and the hand wringing over what follows will still have to wait.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Anyone who thinks that we are getting the kind of wins on the back of a goalie like we did with Marky the past two seasons is out to lunch.

Anyone who thinks average goaltending - along with atrocious team construction including the brutal contracts signed over the past 3 years, the lack of a coherent system, player's quitting on management, - is not part of the problem is out to lunch.

Why, I wouldn't be surprised to see such out to lunch takes also go on about how our GM was ranked 6th by pundits, that our prospect pool is also ranked 6th by other pundits, and that our team is in the best position to end Canada's Cup drought. Whew, talk about out to lunch.
all this talk about lunch is making me hungry?

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I agree with Bieksa, this team doesn't know what their identity is. They have honestly looked like a disorganized AHL team on the ice. No structure, defense is terrible, the forwards aren't helping the D, and vice versa, no forecheck and no heart, which is disappointing because we have a lot of skilled players in the lineup.

Reactions: mossey3535

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Aquaman is a terrible owner, if he sells it’s gonna be the old fashioned Vancouver way.

Asian investors!

Could see it playing out how it has with some lower tier European soccer teams. Large investment groups come in and partner to buy a team. Most of the teams get fans anyways so the owners limit spending.

OH WAIT, THE WHITECAPS.

Reactions: mossey3535

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Aquaman is a terrible owner, if he sells it’s gonna be the old fashioned Vancouver way.

Asian investors!

no no no. He really cares. He’s a fan. He won’t sell to the highest bidder who cares about the team. He will take a lower offer for someone who’s committed to winning.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Not to appeal to authority here ,but Benning most certainly would have talked this over with with goaltending coach Clark..would he not?

If they didnt believe in Demko..(or Demko wasn't here)..They would most certainly have given Marky his NMC..

Clark isn't doing a great job with Demko right now. His technique is all over the place and his tracking is just ok.

I'm sure they talked about it. But no goalie coach is going to say "this guy is guaranteed to be our #1 starter", because there just isn't that kind of certainty with anyone.

IMO Demko WILL be a good and maybe great #1 for us. It's not about believing in him or not. It's about a realistic assessment of where he is in his career trajectory. And I would never say that he was going to step right in and give even 50% of what marky has for the last two years. You can go back in my posting history from 2-3 years ago and I said he needed 2-3 years development minimum.

Going back to the alleged conversation you can see the implied outcome because they signed Holtby, and they signed him for a little too much. So they also believe in him but saw fit to hedge their bet. I just think they hedged $1M too much.

Reactions: vanuck and Ozone

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning is now in his seventh season as Canucks GM, making him the second longest tenured GM in Canuck history, surpassed only by the legendary Pat Quinn.

Looking around the league, I can't find a single GM who's accomplished less over that seven year period. More than a few GM's with better records, have already been fired.

But I guess the Canuck owner is happy as a clam. And that may be the real problem.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Clark isn't doing a great job with Demko right now. His technique is all over the place and his tracking is just ok.

I'm sure they talked about it. But no goalie coach is going to say "this guy is guaranteed to be our #1 starter", because there just isn't that kind of certainty with anyone.

IMO Demko WILL be a good and maybe great #1 for us. It's not about believing in him or not. It's about a realistic assessment of where he is in his career trajectory. And I would never say that he was going to step right in and give even 50% of what marky has for the last two years. You can go back in my posting history from 2-3 years ago and I said he needed 2-3 years development minimum.

Going back to the alleged conversation you can see the implied outcome because they signed Holtby, and they signed him for a little too much. So they also believe in him but saw fit to hedge their bet. I just think they hedged $1M too much.
I don't think that would have said that..However, there's no doubt that Benning would have relied on Clarks expert opinion as to whether Demko is going to be #1 in the future..

It was a 'damned if you do, damned if you dont' scenario...The Canucks were going to lose one of their goaltending assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad