Post-Game Talk: The Canucks: Where wins are made up, and defense doesn’t matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
We don't have money for Markstrom or Tanev or Toffoli, but we sure as hell have cash to burn on Sutter Eriksson and Roussell.
We don't live in an alternate reality where Sutter, Eriksson, and Roussel isn't signed though. All this just distills down to Benning bad, which goes without saying. What are you saying that isn't already known by now? What imaginary Benning bro are you arguing against?

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Then our cap situation played an integral role in the team's loss of Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, and indisputably, Toffoli.

This is all Benning's mess. All of it.
Markstrom no
Tanev ..possibly
Stecher ..possibly (but I think they wanted to move on from him anyway)
Toffoli..most definitely.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Moving away from Tanev and relying on a broken Hamonic and rookies to take on key minutes is like moving away from Hamhuis to extend Sbisa.

Management has always discussed leadership and needing it when they've chased away key leaders from the dressing room.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
One of the two has a durability issue...

And judging by how the season is starting off, however many games we would have gotten out of Tanev might still be better than all the games we'll get from Schmidt. Not saying Schmidt has been bad. He's been pretty invisible, which is a compliment for a d-man on this team.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moving away from Tanev and relying on a broken Hamonic and rookies to take on key minutes is like moving away from Hamhuis to extend Sbisa.

Management has always discussed leadership and needing it when they've chased away key leaders from the dressing room.

This is 100% accurate. Every time. Our leaders respected in our room are treated like crap and dispatched while we provide lip service to 'character' and 'mentorship' to justify piss-poor signings of veterans off other teams.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Goalies aren't the problem but Demko wasn't guaranteed to continue development this year and/or take over the #1 job. Holtby IMO was a decent gamble but should have leveraged the flat cap and given him $3M.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Put it this way :

The 6th year on Markstrom's contract at $6 million couldn't look any worse than the first year of Holtby's contract at $5 million looks now.

Also, if that negotiation was handled differently, I highly doubt it would have taken 6 years to sign him.

If you sign a Vezina-calibre goalie and he delivers you 3-4 elite seasons, you're OK with eating that last year. It's crazy that people have drawn a line here after the amount of lunatic contracts and wasted money on garbage players who never even had a chance of moving the needle.

Your first point makes me laugh; Holtby has played 7 games for us. I hope I live long enough to bring this one back up in 6 years time.

Your second one is the typical "Benning can't make a good deal" type opinion. Calgary DID offer the 6th year. You think he's not going to take it? What are you suggesting, that Marky would have accepted, say a 5 year $7 million deal just to stay here and give us that good old fashioned "hometown discount" that everybody seems to think guys will give us, one of the least favorite destinations in the whole NHL? I'm betting that we would have at least had to match what Calgary gave him to keep him. He's already shown signs of getting injured a bit. What will he be like in that regard in 6 years? Hell, 2 years?

Finally you say Marky gave us "3-4 elite seasons". He did? We missed the playoffs in all but one and when we finally made them he promptly got hurt and was bailed out by his understudy. Now Holtby, there's a guy who delivered "3-4 elite seasons" (sadly for another team) and he actually WON a Vezina, Jennings, Stanley Cup. But that was awhile ago and so means nothing, right? His experience is totally useless in mentoring our green new protege, amirite? Despite not making the playoffs Marky was terrific DESPITE his team but now that he's gone it is suddenly incumbent on the goalies to save the day every night no matter how impossible the task. If you were to judge Marky's time here using the same criteria that folks here are using to judge Holtby/Demko's performances so far he sucks just as hard with scattered bright spots here and there last season. No goalie alive could solve this team's woes right now.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
In 6-7 years we’ve gone from Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Weber to Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers, Benn, Chatfield. Hamonic would be playing over Jalen if healthy but is nearly as bad. Juolevi will likely be full time next year once Edler leaves. Woof

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I was just browsing the Flames' forum to get a sense of how Tanev and Markstrom is performing. Someone there mentioned that they have been two of their three best players this season. Legit made me sick to my stomach reading that.

Any advanced metrics to show that they have been playing at a very high level to start the season?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
If you had kept Tanev, you would have instantly stabilized Quinn's pairing and made it a top pairing. Even playing like shit Quinn is still our best d-man, with good offensive stats. And I still see him driving possession and thereby eating up minutes that aren't spent in our zone. He would be even better with Tanev, it isn't just about putting someone steady with him. Their pairing had unique chemistry IMO.

Then you have the same situation as last year which I didn't think was ideal with one pairing defence and a bunch of meh players beneath them. Assuming we still luck out on Schmidt, now you have 1.5 good d-pairs and it doesn't matter if Chatfield or OJ struggle in the bottom pair. As it stands now, every pair is potentially a garbage fire.

Just because Toffoli is lighting us up doesn't mean we need him. What we need is consistency on the back-end. That improves the goaltending, gets us more time with the puck. In turn that improves the forwards - takes pressure off them in our end and gives them service escaping the zone.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Your first point makes me laugh; Holtby has played 7 games for us. I hope I live long enough to bring this one back up in 6 years time.

Holtby was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last year, and mediocre the season before that. This is not some sort of blip.

Your second one is the typical "Benning can't make a good deal" type opinion. Calgary DID offer the 6th year. You think he's not going to take it? What are you suggesting, that Marky would have accepted, say a 5 year $7 million deal just to stay here and give us that good old fashioned "hometown discount" that everybody seems to think guys will give us, one of the least favorite destinations in the whole NHL? I'm betting that we would have at least had to match what Calgary gave him to keep him. He's already shown signs of getting injured a bit. What will he be like in that regard in 6 years? Hell, 2 years?

Again, same as Christian Ehrhoff.

Just because a guy gets a huge offer when he hits the open market doesn't mean that that's what it would have taken to sign him in the year before that when we could have been working something out. We only went to 5 years right at the very end when he already had a massive Calgary offer on the table and was frustrated with us and the negotiation. He probably accepts 5 years 6 months earlier.

Finally you say Marky gave us "3-4 elite seasons". He did? We missed the playoffs in all but one and when we finally made them he promptly got hurt and was bailed out by his understudy. Now Holtby, there's a guy who delivered "3-4 elite seasons" (sadly for another team) and he actually WON a Vezina, Jennings, Stanley Cup. But that was awhile ago and so means nothing, right? His experience is totally useless in mentoring our green new protege, amirite? Despite not making the playoffs Marky was terrific DESPITE his team but now that he's gone it is suddenly incumbent on the goalies to save the day every night no matter how impossible the task. If you were to judge Marky's time here using the same criteria that folks here are using to judge Holtby/Demko's performances so far he sucks just as hard with scattered bright spots here and there last season. No goalie alive could solve this team's woes right now.

a) you completely mis-read my previous post.

b) if you watched the games last year, the difference in level of play between Markstrom and Holtby is absolutely off the charts. This team stunk defensively last year, too, and Markstrom was absolutely brilliant. And for most of 18-19 as well.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Goalies aren't the problem but Demko wasn't guaranteed to continue development this year and/or take over the #1 job. Holtby IMO was a decent gamble but should have leveraged the flat cap and given him $3M.
Not to appeal to authority here ,but Benning most certainly would have talked this over with with goaltending coach Clark..would he not?

If they didnt believe in Demko..(or Demko wasn't here)..They would most certainly have given Marky his NMC..

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Holtby was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last year, and mediocre the season before that. This is not some sort of blip.

And his drop off is even more concerning when you see the D he had in front of him in Washington..

Reactions: Luckylarry

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I am legitimately shocked that Green is reporting one practice in the last like 13 days.

The schedule is brutal and that has absolutely sunk us.

No wonder they look out of sorts, there isn't any time to even implement structure or coach them up.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I was just browsing the Flames' forum to get a sense of how Tanev and Markstrom is performing. Someone there mentioned that they have been two of their three best players this season. Legit made me sick to my stomach reading that.

Any advanced metrics to show that they have been playing at a very high level to start the season?

Not an advanced metric, but Tanev has been on the ice for 4 goals at even strength so far in 11 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And his drop off is even more concerning when you see the D he had in front of him in Washington..

He was absolutely trounced by Samsonov last year with Washington. .913/2.55 to .897/3.11.

The previous year his numbers were almost the same as a career minor-leaguer named Phoenix Copley who served as his backup.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
You think once our top players hit FA all things (money) being equal they will re sign here? Lol.

no chance. Anaheim, LA it’s nice and warm and nobody knows you, maybe NYR or Islanders to live in the big Apple. No reason for them to want to stay on a perennial sinking ship.

It's not perennial if they actually make the changes that are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad