The Canucks are falling apart

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
As an Oilers fan who got sh** on left and right by Canuck fans during 2011, etc, this brings a smile to my face that I cannot take off.
Some of us were rooting for you guys in 2006! Dozens of us!

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
As an Oilers fan who got sh** on left and right by Canuck fans during 2011, etc, this brings a smile to my face that I cannot take off.

So dunking on Canucks fans in this thread makes you better than that subset of jackass Canucks fans... how? Generalizing fanbases is lame. I hope the Oilers show well this year. Would be cool to see McDavid get a good playoff payoff for the year he’s had.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Had they managed to pick up the phone and sign Toffoli I dont think we’d be having the discussion as the team settles into the 1st round.

The problem with the team is they didn’t sign Toffoli- sh*t happens. The problem with management is they didn't pick up the phone. That’s inexcusable, and illustrates a level of incompetence percolating throughout.

Exactly. Toffolli was interested in re-signing. Even if they didn't want to bring him back, the least they could've done was reached out and thanked the guy for his services and let him know that they were looking at going in a different direction. Not even bothering to pick up the phone is just bush league. It's poor management.

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
What's crazy to me is that the team had so much success from 2008 - 2012 under Gillis who was more of a non-traditional, forward thinking GM. Gillis and his management group utilized analytics and achieved results by thinking outside the box. You'd think that Aquilini would be looking for a guy like that instead of continuing to bang his head on the wall with a meat and potatoes dinosaur like Jim Benning. It would seem like this offseason would've been the right time to make a change. You've got a good young core to build around. Don't ruin it by being too cheap to spend some money to bring in competent management.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What's crazy to me is that the team had so much success from 2008 - 2012 under Gillis who was more of a non-traditional, forward thinking GM. Gillis and his management group utilized analytics and achieved results by thinking outside the box. You'd think that Aquilini would be looking for a guy like that instead of continuing to bang his head on the wall with a meat and potatoes dinosaur like Jim Benning. It would seem like this offseason would've been the right time to make a change. You've got a good young core to build around. Don't ruin it by being too cheap to spend some money to bring in competent management.
Some owners like yes-men. I believe Gillis was pretty strong-willed. Some people (especially very successful ones or one's born into immense wealth) have trouble accepting they know almost nothing about the task at hand. It's generally why outside of your owner spending money, and hopefully hiring the right people you want them to be as hands-off as possible.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I cut Benning a bit of slack for the Toffoli debacle (the fact he didnt even talk with him is some grad A BS though) i mean when the deal was made for Toffoli the management had no idea that a pandemic was going to happen and cause a completely flat salary cap.

and if it came down to signing Toffoli or aquiring Schmidt i think the canucks made the right decision. we needed more help on defense than we did on the wing.

(still not defending Benning he needs to go, but the narrative around Toffoli is more complicated than people are making it seem)

That and most players say they want to play for every team it helps build their brand. Who knows if they do or not.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So dunking on Canucks fans in this thread makes you better than that subset of jackass Canucks fans... how? Generalizing fanbases is lame. I hope the Oilers show well this year. Would be cool to see McDavid get a good playoff payoff for the year he’s had.
A ton of people like to view a fanbase as one monolithic group, instead of 100s of thousands of people who share an interest in something with varying opinions and personalities. This extends way past fandom of sports to most online interactions on message boards that provide relative anonimity.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
A ton of people like to view a fanbase as one monolithic group, instead of 100s of thousands of people who share an interest in something with varying opinions and personalities. This extends way past fandom of sports to most online interactions on message boards that provide relative anonimity.

Oh, for sure. You’re right. It’s easier than making room for critical thinking and nuance. It’s like the riot jokes. A drunk troglodyte sliver of the fanbase... messed up places owned by a bunch of Vancouverites/ Canucks fans... and their mess was cleaned up by a bunch of Vancouverites/ Canucks fans. And they all now get flamed by people who are lazy (or peddling their own grievances about how their fans are treated). I know it’s the same sort of thing that happens to every fanbase. This place became a lot more tolerable once I discovered the Ignore feature. I’m pretty merciless with it now.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I cut Benning a bit of slack for the Toffoli debacle (the fact he didnt even talk with him is some grad A BS though) i mean when the deal was made for Toffoli the management had no idea that a pandemic was going to happen and cause a completely flat salary cap.

and if it came down to signing Toffoli or aquiring Schmidt i think the canucks made the right decision. we needed more help on defense than we did on the wing.

(still not defending Benning he needs to go, but the narrative around Toffoli is more complicated than people are making it seem)

He is an NHL GM. It is totally a joke that he failed SO embarrassingly on this. There is zero excuse and that alone should have him fired.

But I’m a Ducks fan, our GM could do the same thing and wake up with an extension and a raise.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
The angry fan in me wants them to clean house 100%. The positive fan in me thinks they'll be better than what most people expect next year.

At least Demko will go into the year as the legit #1. Hopefully Pettersson comes back healthy and good to go.

It's going to be a long off-season of people shitting on the Canucks though.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
So who was the player supposedly not returning to Vancouver for exit interviews? Did anything actually come of this?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Well it came down to Toffoli or Holtby, not Schmidt

Reactions: Black Kevin

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Losing Petterson for 30 games, losing Toffoli to free agency and the lack of secondary scoring from Pearson, Virtanen and Gaudette really hurt the nucks offensive game as it made matching up against Vancouver’s offense much easier this season and losing Tanev to anchor the defense made a difference as well.

Vancouver’s goals for and goals against were both in the lower half of the NHL this season.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Some owners like yes-men. I believe Gillis was pretty strong-willed. Some people (especially very successful ones or one's born into immense wealth) have trouble accepting they know almost nothing about the task at hand. It's generally why outside of your owner spending money, and hopefully hiring the right people you want them to be as hands-off as possible.

The Canucks should have moved on from Benning as general manager but owner Francesco Aquilini and family seem like they aren’t the type to get off their asses to find a replacement GM since the Canucks don’t have a President of Hockey Operations to do that but probably because the billionaire Aquilini family aren’t used to being told what they should do so they aimlessly do whatever they want and only care about their bank accounts.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
As a Leafs fan I can certainly understand why you’re grasping to separate yourself from that group.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

The thing that people ignore when looking at Toffoli is that he is 29 years old and up until this year was averaging 45 points per year and had broken 50 points once. He was on the open market for more than a week and no other team offered him what he got. It is not like there was no risk in signing him to a 4 year 17 million dollar deal. In hindsight, it was a steal , as he broke out into a career year, and MTL comes out like bandits. I'm happy for Toffoli, but it is far from common to expect a 29 year old to put up career highs in every stat category.

Reactions: JoeMc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad