The Buffalo Sabres are in Free Fall

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Ah the metrics.

The same ones that have the leafs nt having won a series in a decade and a half. Gotta love those.

And yet the leafs aren’t even THAT far ahead with there all star team they have. LOL

Wow would you like some fries with that salt?

Any objective fan would take Toronto over Buffalo AINEC. +35 difference in goal differential. LOL.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Wow would you like some fries with that salt?

Any objective fan would take Toronto over Buffalo AINEC. +35 difference in goal differential. LOL.

Of course, buffalo wasn’t expected to be anywhere near the “cup favourites” yet they somehow even (even as awful as everyone is saying they are in here )....are? What does that say about Toronto? Shrug-

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
What are you talking about?

You mean the guy not one teammate had anything bad to say about ever, .....who’s shown massive signs of maturity and had over 170 pts in his last 165 games? The guy who’s still averaging well over a point per game on a team that’s 7 games over .500? Before going down to injury led all centres in the entire eastern conference and was only behind kucherov in points in the entire east among all players.....

Did you wait all year to say this? And finally got your chance. Lol

He doesent pout either, is he mad after losses sure but even then holds his cool ask anyone around the league how much better he’s been this is such bs. Matthews crying with his hat covering his eyes after game four saying bleep happens is pouting. And I like Matthews but those are literally the only people on here that keep making this statement and need to be set straight.
HAH gottem!

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Funny how people look at this but not how five of the six loses following the ten wins against the best teams were by one goal. All of them.

One-goal games can be quite evenly-matched, but they can also be misleading as one team will dominate the other, without being able to score more goals despite much superior on-ice play, so losing by a single goal, taken without the context of advanced metrics and the very important eye-test, are inherently not a good way to gauge success.

The fact that you've lost all those games by 1 goal could mean that the Sabres battled during all of those games and only lost because of luck, it could also mean that they were absolutely outmatched in every single one of those games and were lucky to only lose by 1 each time.

As for OT wins right now, with the arrival of 3-on-3 and the shootout, they are essentially coin-flips at this time and as much a testament to luck as anything else in this game.

Anyways, right now the Sabres are playing pretty poorly after their really good streak of ten victories, the team still has playoffs hope, but it needs to stop the bleeding now before the Sabres fall into an untenable position in respect to vying for a wildcard spot alongside Montreal, NYI and Carolina.

Reactions: Sam Spade

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I thought the Sabres were gonna have ROR replaced with Casey Mittlestadt and the Blues were going to give them the first overall pick in 2020?

But seriously, need to start turning those first round picks into players this season or next.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
Jack "is that a dead cat on his head" Eichel is not a leader. hes a pouter and entitled.

More hot takes at 10.

Also thats quite clever nickname you managed to put up. Got anything more to share?

edit: How they come back after the break is key. Young players tend to get tired during the tight schedule so we shall see. Now if they come back looking bad this season is completely done (again).

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
McDavid is Generational, Matthews is Elite and Eichel Has Curly Hair
naw ill leave u with reading material tho since im lazy
Now isn’t a good time to be hyping Matthews over Eichel to anyone who’s watched Matthews recently.

He has one goal in his past ten games and has put up some embarrassingly lifeless and gutless efforts recently.

See him get best to a loose puck by a poorer on a face off his team won down by a goal basically giving the avalanche the empty netter a sealing the loss.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Now isn’t a good time to be hyping Matthews over Eichel to anyone who’s watched Matthews recently.

He has one goal in his past ten games and has put up some embarrassingly lifeless and gutless efforts recently.

See him get best to a loose puck by a poorer on a face off his team won down by a goal basically giving the avalanche the empty netter a sealing the loss.
are u trying to tell me eichel is better than mathews? im listening

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
The real Buffalo Sabres have showed up. Tough to see them making the playoffs with Habs and Islanders playing well and Canes trending up.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
are u trying to tell me eichel is better than mathews? im listening
I’m saying now is a terrible time to try to sell Matthews’ game to anyone who’s watched him.

The advantage the leafs have here is that they do have a couple of actual heart and soul leader types in Marner, Tavares and Rielly to compensate.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I’m saying now is a terrible time to try to sell Matthews’ game to anyone who’s watched him.

The advantage the leafs have here is that they do have a couple of actual heart and soul leader types in Marner, Tavares and Rielly to compensate.
so your saying mathews is the 4th best player on his team ???

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
so your saying mathews is the 4th best player on his team ???
Best in what, natural ability? Maybe only Marner is better there.

But none of the other guys I mentioned would put up the gutless types of performances Matthews has recently.

Bookmark this if you’d like. After these playoffs, even more and more leaf fans will agree.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Best in what, natural ability? Maybe only Marner is better there.

But none of the other guys I mentioned would put up the gutless types of performances Matthews has recently.

Bookmark this if you’d like. After these playoffs, even more and more leaf fans will agree.
bah god king leaf fans wont take this kindly!!!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
bah god king leaf fans wont take this kindly!!!
Read your own boards. It’s already starting.

And I live in Toronto. For whatever reason, my friends, family, coworker etc leaf fans are a lot more logical that the ones online and many of them see it already too.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I thought the Sabres were gonna have ROR replaced with Casey Mittlestadt and the Blues were going to give them the first overall pick in 2020?

But seriously, need to start turning those first round picks into players this season or next.

Sounds like the blues have won a few in a row with this kind of talk, congrats

The effort mittlestadt puts forth is promising, still a kid scored tonight he’s been decent, thanks for tage though he also has promise and I like him in the supporting role, obviously you have no complaints about ror on the ice anyway, ....we’ll the blues could elect to keep the puck if your guys second half was like your first half and should you jump up and say want a better pick but in that cas we get the 2020 1st rounder which isn’t top ten protected and you guys would be in a Ottawa type situation but I’m sure that won’t happen

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Biggest difference is defensively IMHO. Terrible coverage over the past 6 weeks. Offense dried up a bit, but that’s common. Defense has to be a staple to win in this league.

I didn’t see this free fall coming, I expected them to level off after the 10 game streak. Still, a developing team that won’t be sniffing the bottom 5 for a long time.

I thought MTL would crash instead, they have yet to.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Has the “ROR is a locker room cancer that left the Sabres and infected the Blues” contingent evaporated yet? They quieted down a lot.

It’s not fair for Buffalo, but with how weak the Central has been this season (really the whole west outside 5 teams) the Blues may shortly have better chances of making the playoffs than Buffalo. Watching both teams the past 2 weeks, I’ll put money on the Blues between those two.

The good news for Buffalo is that they’ll get that 1st this year. Going by points percentage St Louis is already in the 10th or 11th draft position, with a cluster of teams within a couple points.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

This season absolutely. Next season, depending on how Marner/Matthews shakes out, I'm not sure.

Buffalo finds their "Andersen" and they are gonna be a good young team going forward. Heck they are already decent without consistent goaltending.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At the end of the day, it's still a one line team that over-achieved for a stretch. Good foundation for the future, and this was never the year they were going to enter the scene. At some point the team will be really good.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
The 10 game win streak was always going to be followed up with a bit of a letdown. That being said Eichel missing time recently certainly hasn't helped and has cost them points.
Ya cause one guy makes up the whole team right? Shows how weak the team is if they cant rally together and persevere and put some wins together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad