The Buffalo Sabres are in Free Fall

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
He just said 2014 was a strong draft year :facepalm:
Literally every team in the league would have absolutely loved to have a top 2 pick in 2014 or the top pick in 2018. Those are franchise altering, home run picks. You’re acting as if it’s a bad thing they picked top 2 in 2014:laugh:
Maybe I worded my original statement wrong. It’s amazing that Buffalo has basically only hit on there top 2 picks and missed everywhere else.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
We got Eichel and Dahlin. Arizona has been by FAR screwed the most by the lottery, with Cancouver a close second (but Pettersson helps)
Pettersson wasn’t lotto luck, the canucks made a good pick. The fact there are Buffalo fans on this board still feeling sorry for themselves for lotto Luck is shameful. But you are correct, Arizona and Vancouver have got screwed the most with the lotto. If the NHL didn’t implement a lotto then the Sabres may have intentionally tanked even harder.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Are you saying that it's not true? The sad-sack Sabres are NOT in a free-fall? They're NOT out of a playoff position? They HAVEN'T been absolute garbage lately?

LOL. You may not like to hear it.

But that doesn't make it untrue.
And then you go ahead and prove my point...

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Are you saying that it's not true? The sad-sack Sabres are NOT in a free-fall? They're NOT out of a playoff position? They HAVEN'T been absolute garbage lately?

LOL. You may not like to hear it.

But that doesn't make it untrue.
No they haven't been garbage at all but nice baiting. Played excellent vs Tampa last night. People like you are way Leaf fans are so hated. But based on this post you're probably 14 and just became a fan 2 years ago so it's cool that you don't realize what an absolute joke the Leafs have been since the league expanded from 6 teams

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
no they haven't been garbage at all but nice baiting. People like you are way Leaf fans are so hated. But you're probably 14 and just became a fan 2 years ago so it's cool

LOL. Since their 10 game win streak, they Sabres have absolutely been nothing but hot garbage. But continue to live in a dream world if you like.

No playoffs for Buffalo this year. Sorry!!

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
LOL. Since their 10 game win streak, they Sabres have absolutely been nothing but hot garbage. But continue to live in a dream world if you like.

No playoffs for Buffalo this year. Sorry!!
I'm sure you have watched all the games :laugh:

They are a young team learning how to win but they have absolutely not been garbage. See you in the playoffs in two years, I know I won't be as unbearably smug as you are when we kick your (still cupless) ass.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Pettersson wasn’t lotto luck, the canucks made a good pick. The fact there are Buffalo fans on this board still feeling sorry for themselves for lotto Luck is shameful. But you are correct, Arizona and Vancouver have got screwed the most with the lotto. If the NHL didn’t implement a lotto then the Sabres may have intentionally tanked even harder.
Agreed, it is shameful. Maybe it's a vocal minority still whining about the lottery, but on the whole, Sabres fans know how fortunate we are to have gotten two franchise cornerstones thanks to the lottery.

Reactions: sabresEH

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Buffalo intentionally finished last 2 years in a row. The lottery was put in place exactly so teams wouldn't "benefit" from that. In other words, the lottery worked like it was supposed to.

Struggles are now karma for cheering when the other team scored on you.
I didn't cheer at all point is that the Sabres have only moved down from the lottery not up. Poster said we got lucky when we didn't move down 1 out of 3 years we finished last. Nobody here whined about the lotto some idiot implied we got lucky when we have never moved up....

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Agreed, it is shameful. Maybe it's a vocal minority still whining about the lottery, but on the whole, Sabres fans know how fortunate we are to have gotten two franchise cornerstones thanks to the lottery.
That last statement is simply not true. Without the lottery we would've picked 1st all 3 years, so it is an objective fact that we in no way benefited from it.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No they haven't been garbage at all but nice baiting. Played excellent vs Tampa last night. People like you are way Leaf fans are so hated. But based on this post you're probably 14 and just became a fan 2 years ago so it's cool that you don't realize what an absolute joke the Leafs have been since the league expanded from 6 teams
Probably should remind the Leafs of their all time record vs the Sabres it's probably the worst winning pct for them against a team with more than 200 games played.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Wonder how far down the standings they'd be if Skinner wasn't shooting over double his career average shooting %.

I'm sure there's going to be quite the regression there over time.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wonder how far down the standings they'd be if Skinner wasn't shooting over double his career average shooting %.

I'm sure there's going to be quite the regression there over time.
His shooting percentage being so high is almost entirely due to Jack putting him in positions where all he has to do is put the puck on goal and there's a great chance it will go in.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Definitely not a Penguins fan, but even if I was, Buffalo has used the Pens tanking model. I don’t think I’m the only sports fan who thinks a Pegula owned team will never win anything other than draft lotteries
I dont think you've seen the documentary on their tank job for Mario if you believe that. Sabre made a couple rebuilding trades but didn't intentionally bring up horrible players and tell the team to lose.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
His shooting percentage being so high is almost entirely due to Jack putting him in positions where all he has to do is put the puck on goal and there's a great chance it will go in.

Even the absolute best of the best goal scorers (Ovechkin, etc) don't score at better than 15-17% shooting percentage, hell Ovechkin is a career 12% shooter. Nearly 22% is a William Karlsson-esque puck luck season.

While I'm sure Eichel has been giving him great looks, it's not even close to sustainable.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Coaching change? whats the worst that can happen at this point
Sabres fans might welcome a change but it’s not his fault really. He had a terrible roster last year and an average roster this year(probably slightly below average). You can see that as more talented players come into his system the team gets better. The problem is there’s a lot of meh outside the top line.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Sabres fans might welcome a change but it’s not his fault really. He had a terrible roster last year and an average roster this year(probably slightly below average). You can see that as more talented players come into his system the team gets better. The problem is there’s a lot of meh outside the top line.
If you can get Quennville and the Sabres continue to slide, I would pull the trigger. It is unlikely Housley will ever be as effective as Quennville as a coach and you would have a top coach in the league.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
So because I don’t share the same thought process I’m not very bright lol? The Sabres intentionally tanked in a year with 2 gernational talents at the top, and 3 of those pieces are top 3 picks. Other than Edmonton, Buffalo has benefitted most from the lottery and tanking, it’s baffling that they only hit on their top 3 picks. Hopefully they can figure it out before more promising young careers go there to waste away.
lol only hit on top 3 picks most of the others are in juniors or ahl, it's not like they're busts, they're developing- and extremely well. Check out 7th rounder Victor Olofsson who lead the ahl in scoring this season and had the most goals in the shl last season, the 2nd best league in the world. UPL a 2nd rounder looking to be the best goalie prospect in a long time. Center Asplund a 2nd round pick with sky-high upside. Most non-first rounders aren't in the nhl at 20 you frame it as if they can't draft they obviously have very well. Laaskonen was a 3rd and he's looking like a top 10 d in the shl at 19. Stop spreading your propaganda or post it on your own board.

& I stand by my pre-season prediction of 6th in eastern conference.

They're getting very unlucky. (Sabres fans weren't exaggerating with 3 own-goals in one game) They are a better team than MTL, NYI, and CAR. Barring injuries I'm cautiously confident that they will make the PO's

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
With the 10 game win streak in their back pocket, they've put themselves in a position to have a chance. They won those games. They banked those points.

If they can play at just about a .500 pace, they'll be pushing for a playoff spot in April. No one thought they were as good as their 10 game win streak. They likely aren't as bad as this current run.
Probably true.
They lost 4 of their top 6 D men for a stretch of games there, then Eichel for 3 or so.
Bubble team, as they should be given the roster.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The Sabres are in free fall in the standings... but they really aren't playing badly most nights. Eichel played injured for a few games, then sat out a few and he still doesn't look 100% now that he's back in the line up. What's really killing us right now is that outside of the top line there is basically nobody scoring goals with any regularity. Pommer is the 4th highest scoring forward on the team with 20 points, he went pointless from the game before American thanksgiving until January 11th.... and nobody passed him. Let that sink in. Our first line is good, like top 5 in the NHL, and then we have nothing after that. The Sabres are missing ROR big time right now.

Nothing fixes "Culture" and the locker room more than winning, and the Sabres would be doing a hell of a lot more winning with ROR on the second line. Skinner/Eichel/X and Reinhart/ROR/X is a solid top 6.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Literally every team in the league would have absolutely loved to have a top 2 pick in 2014 or the top pick in 2018. Those are franchise altering, home run picks. You’re acting as if it’s a bad thing they picked top 2 in 2014:laugh:
Maybe I worded my original statement wrong. It’s amazing that Buffalo has basically only hit on there top 2 picks and missed everywhere else.

Are you confusing 2014 with Eichel going in 2015, or are you just waaaay too happy with Sam Reinhart? He's a solid top 6 guy, but he's not franchise altering.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I'm shocked. If only there were metrics that could have predicted this.
I feel like your avatar should be William Nylander and it bugs me that it isn't. :huh:

As far Buffalo is concerned, everything will balance itself out by the end of the season. They will finish where they are meant to. And I'm not entirely sure where that is.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad