The Buffalo Sabres are in Free Fall

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Thank you for not figuring out what Lehner was dealing with and letting us help him . . .

OK this is total bullshit. Our organization, knowing full well he was not in our plans went out of our way to get him the help he needed. Whatever you are arguing over with the other poster is one thing, our organization acted with an incredible amount of integrity in this situation by doing the right thing when there was no benefit at all to us.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
B
He has good stretches and they are doing very well but it’s half of a regular season I meant compared to the elite, he’s not going to take a team to the cup is what’s i was saying, you are getting to see his good side. He was pretty much like this for stretches in. Buffalo too. He’s playing better now and he may have a run in him, good for him? As for “worrying about my team rather then bashing yours” you didn’t even get the point of the post obviously, you just saw something negative with the islanders and felt compelled to say something like this, it’s pointless. I’ve watched robin lehner every game for YEARS....YEARS....you have what 25 games or so? I mean come on....I’m not saying he’s doomed or not good enough, we see goalies go on runs all the time in just saying how it’s been with him.

But.... This is literally a brand new Robin Lehner. You can take those 'YEARS' and put em in the trash.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I really badly want to bump a thread filled with cocky Sabres fans where I told them it doesn't take much to go from tops in the league to out of the playoffs.

I won't do it for the sake of the Mods sanity.
considering we would be the first team to do it after like 30ish games its actually pretty hard to collapse that bad.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
considering we would be the first team to do it after like 30ish games its actually pretty hard to collapse that bad.
I mean no disrespect but they were beyond lucky in their 10 game winning streak. I don't think any people who are realistic would have pinned them as a top team because of their at the time record. They would be a bubble team at best as I had said. Also, more impressive thing is it only took them like 18 or so games to find their way out of a playoff spot. I still think they will make it and quite frankly would like to see them in over the Habs. But to the outrageous chest thumpers back then, they kind of look foolish now.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I mean no disrespect but they were beyond lucky in their 10 game winning streak. I don't think any people who are realistic would have pinned them as a top team because of their at the time record. They would be a bubble team at best as I had said. Also, more impressive thing is it only took them like 18 or so games to find their way out of a playoff spot. I still think they will make it and quite frankly would like to see them in over the Habs. But to the outrageous chest thumpers back then, they kind of look foolish now.
nobody was thumping their chest at all have a bad memory. Not too mention you are thumping your chest about them falling down meanwhile their is still a season to be played and the Sabres are still capable of making the playoffs which would be success.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Yet your boys are doing it and it's not even due to injury it's just happening
our biggest losing streak happened when we were forced to play with Tennyson in the lineup after so many defenseman were injured including McCabe who has been pretty damn good this season.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm treating the win streak is an outlier. That is not to say that it didn't happen and doesn't count. Only that the odds of it happening again in the now 35 remaining games is small enough that it shouldn't be included in projecting the remaining games.

Suppose an otherwise .500 team has a 10 game win streak somewhere in the middle of a 50 game stretch, so on the season they're actually .600 averaging it out. That doesn't mean they should be expected to play at a .600 pace the remaining 32 games. They're most likely just a .500 team that got hot for 10 games and will continue to be a .500 team.

I'm applying the same logic to the sabres. They were a .500 winning% team for 15 games. Then they got hot for 10 games. Then they've been a ~.300 winning% team ever since. As the number of remaining games keeps reducing, season averages mean less and less because there's just not enough games left to average out what was attained over a larger sample size encompasing big swings in results like hot and cold streaks.

This is such dumb logic. Sure a 10 game winning streak won't happen again but that doesn't mean it makes sense for you to remove the whole thing from the data set. They've had periods of good and bad play this season, and you decide to prorate the best of the season based only on the most recent bad period. It's just ridiculous.

Like I said, if the Sabres had lost a couple of extra games in the 10 game streak people wouldn't be arbitrarily removing the entire 10 game span.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
But It's not though after tonight Buffalo is off until aftter the break the teams in front of them aren't
They will still play the same number of games as every other team. There is no way I’m going to declare their season over regardless of what happens tonight.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
That 'Questionable defense and goaltending' LEADS the NHL in GAA.

Thank you for not figuring out what Lehner was dealing with and letting us help him . . . now worry about your team instead of putting down ours. One bad goal per game? Gee, take that out of the equation and his GAA is basically 1.20!

What? The Sabres organization has done nothing but provide help and support him. Additionally he got his help while he was with the Sabres prior to the trade:

'I could not stand being alone in my brain': Islanders...

"During this whole process our GM in Buffalo was so incredibly supportive. We met when I came back and had a great and productive discussion. Jason and the Sabres organization had decided to move on from me as their goalie and, in the end, my family and I thought a restart would be the best thing. I still wanted to stay if they wanted me. But deep inside I knew changing scenery would be the best thing for my recovery. Now what to do. My relationship with Jason didn’t end in that meeting. He contacted me during the summer a few times to check in on me. His check-ins still continue today, despite me not being on his team."

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
This is such dumb logic. Sure a 10 game winning streak won't happen again but that doesn't mean it makes sense for you to remove the whole thing from the data set. They've had periods of good and bad play this season, and you decide to prorate the best of the season based only on the most recent bad period. It's just ridiculous.

Like I said, if the Sabres had lost a couple of extra games in the 10 game streak people wouldn't be arbitrarily removing the entire 10 game span.
Removing outliers is not "dumb logic" nor "arbitrary". As with any outlier, "if it was less outlying then it may not actually be an outlier"...k. Thinking that the sabres are going to keep playing how they've been playing for the past now 23 games, instead of their 48 game season average which is elevated due to a 10 game winning streak that you admit is not likely to happen again, is not "ridiculous". But believing that an average developed from a large sample is going to hold over a small sample is the fallacy of averages. The sample of games played is larger and growing. The samples of games remaining is smaller and shrinking. Season average means less and less for protecting remaining games with every game that passes. My argument is that recent play becomes more significant than average play. I didn't cherry pick some bad stretch to project, I picked the group of games that started after the win streak, and they happen to be really bad. Its not like its some 5 or 10 game bad sttetch, its a pretty significant stretch of games now. I could easily see the argument for removing the 5 game losing streak immediately following the winning streak from that sample as another outlier, which causes the sabres to project out slightly better but still not great.

In the end, the only statement I was making was, here's how the sabres would finish if the keep playing how they've been playing since the streak ended. I did not say this is how they definitely will play, but I do believe they're more likely to keep playing how they've been playing than hold to some larger sample season average over the remaining games. How they finish will depend on whether they can get hot again at some point in the remaining games, because outside the 10 game stretch they've been average to very bad. They're likely to keep being average to very bad unless they have another hot stretch of play. You're free to disagree with me. I'd be happy to hear some actually reasoning for why you think I'm erring, but I'm not replying to another no substance post where everything is just "dumb logic" and "ridiculous" just because...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
B

But.... This is literally a brand new Robin Lehner. You can take those 'YEARS' and put em in the trash.
Lehners numbers are more about the system than his actual play. Griess played last night and shutout the Caps and he didn't have to play great. The Islanders play a very disciplined game.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Lehners numbers are more about the system than his actual play. Griess played last night and shutout the Caps and he didn't have to play great. The Islanders play a very disciplined game.

Greiss is also good though. He was a tire fire last year because our system was also a tire fire.

Goalie performance is like 70% the system and team in front of him.

Reactions: daddyohsix

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Sabres played no part in lehners issues. They indeed went out of their way to help him and were honest and upfront with their plans. I am extremely happy with his play and hopefully we can sign him to a decent team friendly deal. I think buffalos issue is now one of buy in and maybe moving a few pieces to try and find some better fits.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
That 'Questionable defense and goaltending' LEADS the NHL in GAA.

Thank you for not figuring out what Lehner was dealing with and letting us help him . . . now worry about your team instead of putting down ours. One bad goal per game? Gee, take that out of the equation and his GAA is basically 1.20!
dude show some class

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
if they had oreilly they would make the playoffs easily. no idea why any gm would trade him especially for the package he got back. worst trade ever. could have had 2 number 1 centers playing. you just don't trade players like that . for nothing no less.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
This off season they will sign Skinner and add a top forward. Add a top4 D man as well. They are poised to be a contender with that young talent and with the eventual decline of the Caps, Pens and Bruins, the could be one of the new teams to be in cup contention for years. They also don't have the cap issues of the Leafs going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00