Post-Game Talk: The biggest game of the McDrai era

Who should start Game 5?

• Total voters

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
He wasn't that bad. He got beat on the 2nd goal when he misjudged Arvidsson's speed, which is pretty rookie, but that kind of thing happens all the time to veteran defenseman in this league

Goals 1 and 3 look much worse on Nurse than they do Desharnais. Covering nothing on goal one and missing clearing the puck twice to Desharnais's once, including bobbing what should have been a routine dump in clear initially(bad ice was probably a factor on all 3 misses though). Nurse also looked awful on the 4th goal going for needless hit too, leaving Broberg to deal with a two on one.

A significant portion of the goals the kings have scored this series, you can see Nurse in the background not covering anything, out of position, making bad reads, bad hits, and misplaying the puck. I kind of thought the rookies were struggling too, but looking back at the goals it's pretty clear that the kings are owning the shit out of Nurse in this series. Woodcroft is sending out Nurse to babysit VD/Broberg and get him more ice time, and they're getting caught in the crossfire.

1st goal VD was too slow and weak and Nurse also failed to clear a puck right in front of him. 2nd VD absolutely fails, 3rd goal Nurse fails to clear, puck bounces into the slot but VD doesn't clear it either, skates past and doesn't even touch it and yet again Nurse basically bumps it over to Kopitar. They're both bad, Nurse needs to play less mins! And that pairing is so awful. Both pretty braindead, and VD for his size is way too weak on pucks and other players.

Reactions: capazzo

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Wait, we play tomorrow and then Sat?
McD and Kane desperately need the rest

By far the best officiated game of the series. Is the NHL actually listening to all, ALL of the fans complaints? Do we want Kozari and Lee again next game?
Kozari did screw us over before, but I'll take last night's reffing over what happened the first three games.

Reactions: dssource

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The game on Saturday in LA better not f***ing be at noon. I know how much the NHL loves scheduling American weekend home games in the afternoon.
Doubt they'll do that. That seems to be a bigger thing on for Eastern teams in the playoffs. The earliest I could see this game going is 5:00 if all the other series are already done, but even if that was the case they'd probably go with 6:00 or 7:00 because of the game being in LA.

Last year the Saturday game was played at 8PM as there was 3 Game 7s (first was at 2:30, second at 5:00) that night and I suspect that will be the case again this weekend except that it would be Game 6 instead of 7.

For reference for the 4 potential games, the home team for 2 of the games will be in the Eastern Time Zone (New York and Tampa), 1 in the Central Timezone (Winnipeg), and 1 in the Pacific time zone. Guaranteed the Pacific time zone gets the latest start time.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
1st goal VD was too slow and weak and Nurse also failed to clear a puck right in front of him. 2nd VD absolutely fails, 3rd goal Nurse fails to clear, puck bounces into the slot but VD doesn't clear it either, skates past and doesn't even touch it and yet again Nurse basically bumps it over to Kopitar. They're both bad, Nurse needs to play less mins! And that pairing is so awful. Both pretty braindead, and VD for his size is way too weak on pucks and other players.
Don't think he was all that weak on the first goal, He covered his guy, eliminated a path to the net, exactly what you want from him defensively. Opponent got a shot off and suddenly we're looking at a bad rebound and the consequences of Nurse thinking Yamo actually puts more than a half-assed effort on backchecks.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
No, we don't need more rookie mistakes. You only play Holloway in an emergency imo. I miss Janmark....wtf happened to him...Gregor sources right for once.
I think he look a shot in the foot in first game on a penalty kill. Not sure anything broke

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m really starting to wish Sportsnet would just ignore Will Ferrell. It was funny seeing him in his face paint the first time but he just looks weirder every time they pan to him.

SN and the NHL have a fetish with showing any celebrity no matter how insignificant they are on camera.

It’s their sporting inferiority complex, like having a celeb somehow validates the sport.

Look look, someone with 17 Twitter followers is at the game, quick get them on camera get an interview hurry hurry before they get bored and leave!”

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Why? It’s good for the game if big time celebrities are into it.
Will Ferrell is not a big time celebrity. He's a 20 year ago has been.

It's cringe worthy how anyone who's been in a movie is treated like a God if they go to a hockey game.

Hockey is a niche sport in the US and there is nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Wonder if the Oilers are reviewing the comments made by Bieksa in the intermission.

Pretty sure coaches probably told them the same things he said, but maybe they need to hear it from someone else lol
Gotta give him credit, he was smack on. Actually like Bieska . He played a tough game and gives a good commentary. At least he has played the game

Reactions: RegDunlop

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

It's cringe worthy how anyone who's been in a movie is treated like a God if they go to a hockey game.

Old School was it for me . I thought that was pretty funny.Animal House started those movies off, American Pie were pretty funny movies, and Old School tried an Animal House similar plot.
Probably wouldn’t be allowed to do these type of movies now without offending someone

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I don’t agree. I guess it’s all opinion. I appreciate all the support the game can get in the states.

What’s your other banned username btw?

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007

Will Ferrell is a widely known celebrity and in his hay-day was arguably one of the funniest people on the planet. I don't see the problem with giving him attention at a Hockey Game even if he's washed up nowadays.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Will who? Can't say I've ever watched a Will Ferrell movie in my life.

/sarcasm

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
- You have to consider taking Nurse off of the PK unit and maybe even dial him back a bit 5v5. He's once again badly struggling to read pucks coming from the corner to the front of the net and is once again on his knees or trying to check the puck. Kulak was absolutely outstanding in Game 4 - bump up his minutes and take Nurse down. Darnell has been the direct cause of at least 4 pretty critical goals against in this series on fairly routine plays, has to stop.
Been thinking this as well. I’m not going to pile on Nurse but we’ve seen this happen multiple times in his career, when he loses confidence, he starts to force things and tries to play his partners and his position Simultaneously and it’s a disaster. I legit would rather see Kulak/Ceci kill penalties.

And no more Nurse/Desharnais…ever

Reactions: K1984

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Will Ferrell is a widely known celebrity and in his hay-day was arguably one of the funniest people on the planet.

1. "Widely known"? From what, Anchorman? Talladega Nights? He's a C-lister, and that's being
generous.

2. Its "heyday" not "hay-day".

3. "Funniest people on the planet"? Uh, you need to get out more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad