Post-Game Talk: The biggest game of the McDrai era

Who should start Game 5?

• Total voters

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
ESPN showed a close-up of Janmark on the bench icing his hand after blocking a shot on the PK. Gregor claims it was a blocked shot that hit the inside of his foot (with accompanying video footage) and Janmark was limping after the game. Either way he seems to be out for the near future (Gregor claimed done for the series).
Rather it the foot than hand, but not sure we ever heard what it was.

We've seen guys play with messed up feet before, just as long as they can fit a skate on. In Janmark's case he is a smart player so losing a little bit of speed he should still be able to positionally sound. But if he's hand is broken and he can't grip a stick then he's pooched.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Was it really much different than McDavid's on Andersson in the regular season. I was fine with the 2 minutes call mostly because that seems to be the standard in today's NHL for hits from behind unless they are extremely bad.
Without appearing overly biased, yes, I think this was different from McDavids hit. McDavid didn't use his hands in his hit, and Kemp used his arms and hands explicitley in a cross checking fashion to push a vulnerable Bouchard from behind.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Whens the last time that Oilers had a player who goes bar in as often as Bouchard does? His ability to put it in off the post is something.
The real question is.

Whens the last time the Oilers had a player who goes bar out as often as Bouchard.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think Woodcroft may have to change his matchups a bit at home in game 5 with Fiala back. That line is the Kings biggest threat to score at even strength, and extremely fast. Bjugstad is a better matchup with the slower footed Kopitar or Danault.

McLeod Bjugstad Foegele Nurse Ceci vs Kopitar

Kane Drai Yamo Ekholm Bouchard vs Danault

RNH McDavid Hyman Kulak Broberg vs Vilardi

This will also make it hard for McLellan to get one of his top two D pairings out against McDavid, or out with the Kopitar line. Kulak/Broberg mobility should be a good match against Fiala. Dress Desharnais but use him mainly on PK. Jack Campbell redemption tour begins.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I think Woodcroft may have to change his matchups a bit at home in game 5 with Fiala back. That line is the Kings biggest threat to score at even strength, and extremely fast. Bjugstad is a better matchup with the slower footed Kopitar or Danault.

McLeod Bjugstad Foegele Nurse Ceci vs Kopitar

Kane Drai Yamo Ekholm Bouchard vs Danault

RNH McDavid Hyman Kulak Broberg vs Vilardi

This will also make it hard for McLellan to get one of his top two D pairings out against McDavid, or out with the Kopitar line. Kulak/Broberg mobility should be a good match against Fiala. Dress Desharnais but use him mainly on PK. Jack Campbell redemption tour begins.

Desharnais was so f***ing awful, all 3 of those goals could've been prevented but he got caved in every time. I'm not sure if Campbell gets the start or not, we'll see. He's certainly earned it but he could sink them pretty fast.

Reactions: Duke74

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Its hilarious reading CP posters and posts on the main forum who complain that the Oilers rely on their PP and they are only as good as their PP will take them... then these same posters will be crying in their own GDT that their own team's PP suck so bad and wish their PP could be a difference for once. Special teams are a huge part of the game now... don't hate on us because we have a lethal PP full of skill.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Its hilarious reading CP posters and posts on the main forum who complain that the Oilers rely on their PP and they are only as good as their PP will take them... then these same posters will be crying in their own GDT that their own team's PP suck so bad and wish their PP could be a difference for once. Special teams are a huge part of the game now... don't hate on us because we have a lethal PP full of skill.
You'd think they realize scoring on the powerplay still counts.

LA has 2 overtime wins from powerplay goals this series alone.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I posted some stats a few weeks back. More penalties last year in playoffs than regular season, so why anyone would bash a team for a good PP I'll never understand.

It might even more so important in the playoffs

Reactions: Da McBomb

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wonder if the Oilers are reviewing the comments made by Bieksa in the intermission.

Pretty sure coaches probably told them the same things he said, but maybe they need to hear it from someone else lol

• Haha
Reactions: Porkleaker

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Within that it needs to be considered that Drai is playing tougher clubs in playoffs, and within a capped league where parity is more the thing. NHL for awhile was 16/21 teams making the playoffs and not all of those teams were good. So that the Oilers type teams of the day were loading up goals. 8-10 goal scores were routine. In playoffs.

Drai is doing this under much harder circumstance against better teams. it isn't 1 vs 16 anymore. (out of 21 NHL clubs.) To even make the playoffs now you have to be median or better team. That was never the case in the past. To make playoffs you had to just avoid being one of the worst teams in league.
Saw this tweet and thought you'd like it:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Epic comeback, and nice to see a couple guys finally contribute on the scoreboard.

- one thing I am noticing about Campbell is that he is very strong with his legs. His ablility to hug the ice keeping the pad down worked to perfection last night, as the Kings continued to hammer away at the puck relentlessly, hoping it would squeeze in. Seems to be a big part of their game plan. And it's one of the things that Stewy doesn't seem to be as good at, as indicated by the multiple scramble goals scored on him so far. Campbells rebound control is still not the best, but his ability to control the bottom of the net means he should be a serious candidate to start the next game. We'll see.

- continuing with the pathetic and biased refereeing. How the hell was the Kempe hit on Bouch in OT not a 5 minute major and game expulsion? I'm just not sure what you have to do to get one of those anymore. That looked like a textbook case.
Brutal once you compare that they also called this 1 hand shove (embellish) 2 min. Guess they were the same type of hit..

Reactions: OilerTyler

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Desharnais was so f***ing awful, all 3 of those goals could've been prevented but he got caved in every time. I'm not sure if Campbell gets the start or not, we'll see. He's certainly earned it but he could sink them pretty fast.
He wasn't that bad. He got beat on the 2nd goal when he misjudged Arvidsson's speed, which is pretty rookie, but that kind of thing happens all the time to veteran defenseman in this league

Goals 1 and 3 look much worse on Nurse than they do Desharnais. Covering nothing on goal one and missing clearing the puck twice to Desharnais's once, including bobbing what should have been a routine dump in clear initially(bad ice was probably a factor on all 3 misses though). Nurse also looked awful on the 4th goal going for needless hit too, leaving Broberg to deal with a two on one.

A significant portion of the goals the kings have scored this series, you can see Nurse in the background not covering anything, out of position, making bad reads, bad hits, and misplaying the puck. I kind of thought the rookies were struggling too, but looking back at the goals it's pretty clear that the kings are owning the shit out of Nurse in this series. Woodcroft is sending out Nurse to babysit VD/Broberg and get him more ice time, and they're getting caught in the crossfire.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
The game on Saturday in LA better not f***ing be at noon. I know how much the NHL loves scheduling American weekend home games in the afternoon.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He wasn't that bad. He got beat on the 2nd goal when he misjudged Arvidsson's speed, which is pretty rookie, but that kind of thing happens all the time to veteran defenseman in this league

Goals 1 and 3 look much worse on Nurse than they do Desharnais. Covering nothing on goal one and missing clearing the puck twice to Desharnais's once, including bobbing what should have been a routine dump in clear initially(bad ice was probably a factor on all 3 misses though). Nurse also looked awful on the 4th goal going for needless hit too, leaving Broberg to deal with a two on one.

A significant portion of the goals the kings have scored this series, you can see Nurse in the background not covering anything, out of position, making bad reads, bad hits, and misplaying the puck. I kind of thought the rookies were struggling too, but looking back at the goals it's pretty clear that the kings are owning the shit out of Nurse in this series. Woodcroft is sending out Nurse to babysit VD/Broberg and get him more ice time, and they're getting caught in the crossfire.
Lol what? Played 7 minutes and got absolutely worked all 7 of em.

Reactions: fresh meat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad