Prospect Info: The Big Mac Thread - Part 2 - Extra Bacon Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Agreed, I hope someone teaches him before he gets to the AHL because there are some experienced fighters who will relish at the opportunity of clocking the 6 foot 6 kid with a questionable stance hardly protecting himself.

Good point. In fact, McCarron shouldn't fight again unless he really knows how to defend/protect himself from major fighting injuries...mainly referring to the AHL (where it will be tougher for fights).

Yeah, he and Dave Andreychuck were pretty proprotypical of the immovable objects as players in front of the net. It was all Kerr could do though. He was an awful skater just horrible to watch, but he had fantastic balance and knew how to use his stick to plant himself.

Kerr had great hands, and knew how to tip pucks or get to rebounds. I like the Keith Primeau comparison over the Kerr one because Kerr was so one dimensional. It would be nice though to have someone so dominating in front of the net.

I really like the Keith Primeau comparison...and Dave Andreychuk+Tim Kerr for ''in front of the net'' activities.

Really hoping for an amazing summer workout for McCarron...work on leg strength, power skating, upper body strength,etc, and some hockey work like tip-ins, shots from up close (near net/garbage goals,etc), and everything else. I'm 100% sure that Timmins (and Bergevin?) will give McCarron a workout regime to follow so he can continue improving and improving...awesome for McCarron and our Habs!!

How many teams would love to have a 19 yrs. old 6'6 - 241 lbs. RW that has 27 goals + 24 assists = 51 pts. in 40 gms. in the OHL, while also racking up 103 pims. That's 54 goals and 48 assists = 102 pts + 206pims. in 80 gms., that's the type of totals GM's dream about having from a 19 yr.old OHLer (6'6 - 241 lbs.) fights and delivers bone-crunching hits and plays top six minutes.

Bergevin certainly looks like a genius now doesn't he, after 24 teams passed on McCarron and our own fans were scratching their heads thinking the worst about this prospect.:nod:

Our team would love to have a McCarron, thank-you!

Timmins is the genius!!;)
(but we'll give Bergevin some credit, too!!).

Go Mac Go!!

Last edited:

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
So excited that guys like DLR and McCarron are developing well. These are the type of big-bodied forwards you need to supplement your skilled playmakers. No coincidence that whoever plays RW with Ovechkin and Backstrom are usually good-skating grinders. Why is Brandon Saad playing with Toews and Hossa? Because Hossa and Saad provide speedy, big-bodies which are great at cycling, all while Toews can use his hockey-sense to set them up.

Not saying these guys are legit top six forwards, but they provide coaches with matchup options depending on opposing teams and game situations. There is a reason Weise plays with Pacioretty and Plek; its not because he is skilled, its because he skates hard, and creates space for the other two.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
When I read about McCarron scoring three feet from the net, I think about Tim Kerr back in the 80s.

Obviously different era and I'm not expecting MC to net 50 goals lol, but more about what Kerr was doing in front of the net. He was so big nobody could move him.
I also remember this Leclair guy scoring two OT game winners in the Stanley Cup against LA. The Kings D could not budge him around the net.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
How many teams would love to have a 19 yrs. old 6'6 - 241 lbs. RW that has 27 goals + 24 assists = 51 pts. in 40 gms. in the OHL, while also racking up 103 pims. That's 54 goals and 48 assists = 102 pts + 206pims. in 80 gms., that's the type of totals GM's dream about having from a 19 yr.old OHLer (6'6 - 241 lbs.) fights and delivers bonecrunching hits and plays top six minutes.

Bergevin certainly looks like a genius now doesn't he, after 24 teams passed on McCarron and our own fans were scratching their heads thinking the worst about this prospect.:nod:

He was a gamble. After the first year plenty of people thought he wouldn't pay off. Now people think otherwise, and for good reasons. We made plenty of gambles in past with our draft picks, and most of them did not pan out. This one looks like he will, and we have the right to be happy about it, but it was still a gamble. Lets remember that next time MT take another one (Lernout anyone?). But hey, sometimes, drafting high risk players a bit above their perceived rank does bring its rewards.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I also remember this Leclair guy scoring two OT game winners in the Stanley Cup against LA. The Kings D could not budge him around the net.

John LeClair...#17:handclap: (from Vermont).

Can't forget about him...he was our last true natural big power forward. I didn't like the trade...Dr.Recchi for LeClair +Desjardins.
TWO huge awesome player for one small overrated player/doctor wanna-be.

Can't wait for McCarron, but...patience/more development might pay off in the end.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I would hope that Sekac can play top 6 in the future, unless this is meant as a second line.

Looking at Sekac's game, I see 20-20 potential with sound 2 way game and some grit. Not a leader but they can't all be.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
How many teams would love to have a 19 yrs. old 6'6 - 241 lbs. RW that has 27 goals + 24 assists = 51 pts. in 40 gms. in the OHL, while also racking up 103 pims. That's 54 goals and 48 assists = 102 pts + 206pims. in 80 gms., that's the type of totals GM's dream about having from a 19 yr.old OHLer (6'6 - 241 lbs.) fights and delivers bonecrunching hits and plays top six minutes.

Mitch Moroz, 19yo ppg player in the WHL (lower scoring league) 6'3 220, good fighter 156 pim... draft 32nd after 30 teams or so passed over him...

Don't they look like geniuses ?

Wait... 20yo in the AHL : 1g 3a in 34 games... but the pim and size are still there.

McCarron is far from being a stud prospect, he is still very much a project that could bust. Dominating teenagers in the OHL when your 6'6 isn't hard... yet he is struggling with his new team.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs future PWF Mike McCarron(C/RW) may join the Habs for the playoffs this season. After seeing his performance against the Boston Bruins in exhibition pre-season play this summer(before the injury occurred) he surely looked impressive knocking bruins players around like bowling pins. I can envision McCarron playing RW on the Habs PP with Pacioretty(LW) & Galchenyuk(C) with the Markov-Subban combo on the points. Has all the ingredients of a deadly PP, with McCarron providing the screen in front of the net, after bowling over the Dmen leaving a clear path for our snipers Max, Alex, PK, and Andrei. The optimism for the Habs being a serious threat to win the Stanley Cup on my part has been well thought out, not just blowing hot air up your skirts, girlyboyz. Really looking forward to having Tinordi joining the playoff drive, giving the Habs some extra bite in the toughness department, which is monumental in keeping the area in front of our Star Goalie protected from the Kreider's of the NHL.

The Habs edict of becoming a balanced team is coming into fruition and appears to be ready for this seasons playoffs:nod: No longer will teams think they can bang and crash our players without retribution, merci Monsieur Bergevin, très bien!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: The "Defence Wins Stanley Cups" statement is based in fact and the Habs have huge depth on defence in their lineup and in Hamilton, in case of injuries the Habs won't be found wanting as they have in the past two decades.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
McC will more than likely be involved in a long PO run with Oshawa, limiting any call up options.
If they get bounced early ya never know, but I'd guess an AHL call up would be appropriate.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would hope that Sekac can play top 6 in the future, unless this is meant as a second line.

At this point he looks more like a 3rd liner. Not highly creative offensively, not over the top physical. Can finish but not a sniper.

I think he is a guy you can count on being a 3rd liner, expecting more is setting up for failure. If he develops into more, great.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
At this point he looks more like a 3rd liner. Not highly creative offensively, not over the top physical. Can finish but not a sniper.

I think he is a guy you can count on being a 3rd liner, expecting more is setting up for failure. If he develops into more, great.

There are plenty of top 6 forwards that match that description.

He has great hands, amazing puck control and is a fantastic skater, I see top 6 potential in him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's early but it's pretty funny how when McCarron was drafted it must have been Bergevin because he was not a Timmins pick but now it's back to the genius of Timmins.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
The Habs future PWF Mike McCarron(C/RW) may join the Habs for the playoffs this season. After seeing his performance against the Boston Bruins in exhibition pre-season play this summer(before the injury occurred) he surely looked impressive knocking bruins players around like bowling pins. I can envision McCarron playing RW on the Habs PP with Pacioretty(LW) & Galchenyuk(C) with the Markov-Subban combo on the points. Has all the ingredients of a deadly PP, with McCarron providing the screen in front of the net, after bowling over the Dmen leaving a clear path for our snipers Max, Alex, PK, and Andrei. The optimism for the Habs being a serious threat to win the Stanley Cup on my part has been well thought out, not just blowing hot air up your skirts, girlyboyz. Really looking forward to having Tinordi joining the playoff drive, giving the Habs some extra bite in the toughness department, which is monumental in keeping the area in front of our Star Goalie protected from the Kreider's of the NHL.

The Habs edict of becoming a balanced team is coming into fruition and appears to be ready for this seasons playoffs:nod: No longer will teams think they can bang and crash our players without retribution, merci Monsieur Bergevin, très bien!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: The "Defence Wins Stanley Cups" statement is based in fact and the Habs have huge depth on defence in their lineup and in Hamilton, in case of injuries the Habs won't be found wanting as they have in the past two decades.

Would you say McCarron reminds you of a young Clark Gillies?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
There are plenty of top 6 forwards that match that description.

He has great hands, amazing puck control and is a fantastic skater, I see top 6 potential in him.

On a top team it fits more 3rd line than second.

I wouldn't say he has great hands. Great hands is Pat Kane. can stickhandle through 3 guys, Sekac can't do that.

He does have a great skating stride and uses his size and reach well.

Worst case he should be a solid 3rd liner...best case he can be a high end 2nd liner. The offensive creativity has been missing so far, that's the part needed to be a 2nd liner.

His game is very similar to Weise right now, would you call Weise a 2nd liner? He fills in ok with Pacioretty-Desharnais/Plekanec, but to me that's not his long term spot. Weise to me is an average to good 3rd liner.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Didn't he play in the AHL playoffs in between?

Fine, just noticed he played a couple of games but still. The point remains that it's not unseen to go from CHL to playoffs hockey. Especially for players on the bottom lines. You're not asking them to re-invent the wheel.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
I want them to take as much time as possible with him. Don't rush him, he's got a lot to learn and grown into his body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad