Prospect Info: The Big Mac Thread - Part 2 - Extra Bacon Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricePkPatch*

This young kid is really coming together.

I really admire that he managed to bounce so effectively after a bad season. Thats character guys, and i understand Timmins and MB to pay special attention to it.

McCarron will be a player who will not let running into a wall stop his progression. Unlike superskilled players like.. Say... Yakupov.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
You think maybe The Habs forced him to go max conditioning while resting his shoulder injury? The man could give us a did 40 seconds per shift against Boston but looked after that every time.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You think maybe The Habs forced him to go max conditioning while resting his shoulder injury? The man could give us a did 40 seconds per shift against Boston but looked after that every time.

The Lad is one of those Big Guys whose body grew faster than his coordination.
The most interesting fact is how much better he plays with talent surrounding him.
The Entire HF fanbase is salivating at the thought of a capable sizable RW.
Nothing flashy but an ability to send a Miller flying two feet backwards with a shoulder. :D

Oct 22, 2012
Its like watching a different player this year, and while its still early in the season, he is passing the eye test for sure.

Annnd now I want a big mac

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
McCarron is next in line for McDonalds commercials. Le McCarron is coming soon, served at all of our restaurents, 6 pattys, extra bacon !

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Our collective hearts and wishes have raised the McCarron up from certain bustdom. Every time a Hab fan thinks of him it adds to his power.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
McCarron is the most exciting Habs prospect.

If he is not afraid of standing in front of an HNL net...

then watch out. :yo:

Is he good at deflecting shots and getting rebounds? Because it sure is nice to have a bog body in front of the net to hide the goalie's view, but if he can do something with the puck it's even better :nod:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Runner77 - "How "serious" might a random sampling of these posters be? And, they're not all saying he'll bust, but safe to say there are quite a few who claimed he would and the rest wouldn't exclude it."

There's a difference between calling someone a bust and saying there's a bust factor (or probability he could bust). My comment was made after a game (against Kingston I believe) in which McCarron looked really bad. It was in response to one of Grant's early statement about McCarron when he said there was no bust factor with McCarron. To which I responded at that time that there's quite obviously a bust factor with every player and more importantly with players selected lower than 2 or 3 overall. Saying there was no risk McCarron could bust was a bit too optimistic I thought. After his season in the OHL I thought the chances the greater he could bust but I never he was already a bust.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Runner77 - "How "serious" might a random sampling of these posters be? And, they're not all saying he'll bust, but safe to say there are quite a few who claimed he would and the rest wouldn't exclude it."

There's a difference between calling someone a bust and saying there's a bust factor (or probability he could bust). My comment was made after a game (against Kingston I believe) in which McCarron looked really bad. It was in response to one of Grant's early statement about McCarron when he said there was no bust factor with McCarron. To which I responded at that time that there's quite obviously a bust factor with every player and more importantly with players selected lower than 2 or 3 overall. Saying there was no risk McCarron could bust was a bit too optimistic I thought. After his season in the OHL I thought the chances the greater he could bust but I never he was already a bust.

I mean any prospect can bust, no matter how great he is. McDavid could injure his wrist and never be the same player ever again, which would turn him into a bust. The point was that too many people were being negative and labelling him a bust before he even got a chance to turn pro. As long as a player is still in development, there's always a risk for him to bust. That still doesn't mean we should constantly use that word to label all of our prospects. I believe people were just frustrated with how much criticism McCaron was getting; and although not all of it was unwarranted, people should always take it easier on 18 year old prospects.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

In fairness to you Mathletic, you are seemingly not influenced by emotionalism and idiocy, but by intelligence and statistics. Of course, I disagree with your opinion on Big Mac, but I genuinely respect your opinion on him because of what I just said.

You and Whitesnake are one of the very few skeptics (not sure if WHitesnake qualifies as a skeptic) who provide a reasonable (key word) basis for your skepticism on Big Mac's potential, even if I believe that at times last year, you were too unwilling at times to consider other factors that contributed to Big Mac's poor season.

There are however far too many posters on this board who seemingly lack the reason and intelligence necessary to properly assess a player like Big Mac. Personally, I am more interested in why a person believes what they believe than what it is they believe. Too many posters were willing to consider all the supposed reasons why Mac wouldn't be an NHL'er, instead of considering why he may be one, and a potentially good one at that.

And of course, they are now either continuing to discredit his solid play this season (even if he should be a better player this year), or they will pretend that they have always believed in him.

No doubt about it, no matter the circumstances, he had a poor season last year. In the same way, no matter the circumstances, he is having a great season (so far) this year. What should we make of this? He wasn't as bad as he looked this year, and he also isn't as good as he looks this year. Nevertheless, there is plenty of reason to believe that he has the potential to be what the Habs want him to be one day, a big, physical player who should be top 6 or top 9 player in the future.

I also hope that people will stop discrediting Grant's deep knowledge and expertise in this. He isn't always going to be right, as he knows, but he is going to be a lot more balanced and knowledgeable than the 12 year olds posting nonsense on this board.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Citing my quote without yours or the references that ensued, has the net effect of diluting the very categorical statement you made, that led to the search for all of the posters that claimed McCarron was a "bust" or used language that evoked it.

However, there are posters who took a clear position instead of those who are merely quoting generalities, such as "any prospect can bust". It's just a banal corollary of "anyone can fail", goes without saying.

No career is perfectly linear, most are sinewy and when you're dealing with raw talents at a young age, so many things are unpredictable.

I think it's haphazard to call any 18-year old a "bust", especially one with McCarron's physical attributes and the typical development curve we have seen others take. Of course, there is always a risk involved, however, McCarron was only being lambasted by some last year, on account of having been drafted in the first round. That doesn't mean he can't achieve a level of development that justifies his selection, where it was made. In due time, naturally.

For the record, I never stated that you said McCarron would be a "bust". I merely quoted your post in an exchange you were having, so as to bring out how some felt compelled to underscore that he could still "bust", which is just stating the obvious risk that comes with projecting any young player's career. Doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I said from day 1 that McCarron is the forward version of Tinordi and 1.5 years after his draft he has done nothing to disprove that notion.

Both were drafted as big, raw kids from the U.S. program that were thought to be a few years away and had a lot of hype coming to the OHL.

Both disappointed in year 1 and looked out of their element. Both began a rapid ascent in year 2 and if you see where Tinordi is now and factor in that forwards come a bit quicker, you'll see a similar progression I'm sure.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Is he good at deflecting shots and getting rebounds? Because it sure is nice to have a bog body in front of the net to hide the goalie's view, but if he can do something with the puck it's even better :nod:

Even a bear with a hockey stick standing in front of the goaltender is bound to do good some of the time.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Not on a HF Montreal Canadiens Board it doesn't. :help:

That's not what I said... I said it's good to have a big body in front of the net, but it's even better if he can deflect shots (so good hand-eye) and if he's good at taking the rebounds... So my question stil stands...

I'm asking this, because I don't know if he's good at it, since I don't watch him in the juniors. So perhaps someone who actually watches him play this year could enlighten me on the subject? :)

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
You and Whitesnake are one of the very few skeptics (not sure if WHitesnake qualifies as a skeptic) who provide a reasonable (key word) basis for your skepticism on Big Mac's potential, even if I believe that at times last year, you were too unwilling at times to consider other factors that contributed to Big Mac's poor season.

Thanks for the early part, it's appreciated ;)

I acknowledged that a part of why he struggled last year could be explained by circumstances. However, my argumentation was not only based on this past season alone but seasons prior also. Btw, I pointed out that I expect people to show signs of a what is known as attribution bias:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_bias

Basically goes like you're late for your work or do something wrong, you are likely to blame it on circumstances like traffic and whatnot. Whereas if your boss congratulates you for some good work, you are more likely to attribute yourself the merits like hard work for what went right.

Not denying that McCarron is a major contributor to his current success but in the same way circumstances played a role in why he struggled last year, circumstances also play a role for why he's having success this year. Should be interesting to follow people's coherence in discourse or lack thereof. Then again, it's a hockey board for fans, don't want to make things too serious either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->