Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
As a a guy who possesses a decent mix of some skill, size, physicality plus skating, Big Mac is the exact kind of cheap, energetic bottom 6 winger you need to develop from within if you ever want to strive for cap efficiency throughout your lineup. It's been too long since we've actually seen someone come up through the system and actually stick as a contributor on this team.

I thought he deserved more than 7 minutes tonight - at least he was a positive in terms of possession (in absolute and relative terms) while guys like Motte and Sutter were actually a huge drag.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Nope, you're not the only one.....I thought MacEwen looked better on Bo's wing in one game than Eriksson has looked all season long. What strikes me sometimes is that Jimbo and Green seem to be at odds over certain players.

For example, Jimbo was quoted as saying he'd like to elevate Rafferty and get a look at him in a couple of games. But the chances of Green actually playing him are basically 'zero'. And now Jimbo says that in his mind, MacEwen is 'an NHL forward'. That may be, but he can't prove it unless he plays.

Interesting comments from the GM who seems to be at a roadblock with the coach sometimes over the utilization of young players.

Reality is Green better get the memo if Benning expects to see more of the kids it's important if Rafferty is ready it gives Benning options and a coach who gets in the way probably loses in that situation.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Best part of that article:

“While this represents a pointless and disappointing use of resources, it’s still not enough to dampen the spirits of Canucks fans after the stellar trade deadline that Jim Benning had himself. In the end, the value added by the acquisitions of Jonathan Dahlen and Nikolay Goldobin is a hundred times greater than the value lost by throwing away a contract on a player like Zack MacEwen.”

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

As I said at the time, they said a bunch of things that are theoretically correct, but then completely failed to understand that MacEwen was the *opposite* of what they were arguing.

Like, the fact that he was such a bad player at such a low level in his draft year is a point in his favour, not against it, as it speaks to how sharp his development curve had been since then. And it’s the opposite of a Yan-Pavel Laplante, who was a 3rd rounder in his draft year and never improved.

They got locked into a ‘this is just a big overager dominating because he’s old for his level’ stance without looking deeper to see that actually he just got to this level, actually his development curve was through the roof, and actually he had a skillset that really projected to higher levels.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

“While this represents a pointless and disappointing use of resources, it’s still not enough to dampen the spirits of Canucks fans after the stellar trade deadline that Jim Benning had himself. In the end, the value added by the acquisitions of Jonathan Dahlen and Nikolay Goldobin is a hundred times greater than the value lost by throwing away a contract on a player like Zack MacEwen.”

The best part of the article to me is the massive irony of their skewering of dinosaur scouts ‘signing a player who looks like their idea of what an NHLer should be’ while they completely dismiss a player they’ve never seen play because he superficially fits their stat geek perimeters of what looks like a bust.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He may be able to somewhat replace what they were lacking with ferland's injury. Grit and toughness with some scoring ability. If he continues to play that straight laced abrasive style without trying to be too fancy, he could turn out to be exactly what they were looking for.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

LOL! One of these players is going to be a 3rd/4th liner somewhere in the NHL next year while the other two are looking more and more likely to spend the rest of their playing careers in Europe.

Reactions: bh53 and I am toxic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad