Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Is he any more ineffective than Michael Ferland (1 goal in his last 38 games) or Tim Schaller (0 points, -12 in his last 20)?

Sutter and Eriksson as well. Holy f***...we have so many garbage damaged players on the payroll.

Reactions: vanuck

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Is he any more ineffective than Michael Ferland (1 goal in his last 38 games) or Tim Schaller (0 points, -12 in his last 20)?

Schaller is debatable. Cherry-picking Ferland's goal scoring slump is similar to the people who said that Leivo should be benched or waived because as of about two weeks ago he had 2 goals in his previous 31 games.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schaller is debatable. Cherry-picking Ferland's goal scoring slump is similar to the people who said that Leivo should be benched or waived because as of about two weeks ago he had 2 goals in his previous 31 games.

Leivo and Ferland are on a completely different level in terms of their play away from the puck. Leivo is actually a good defensive player, and makes only $1.5 million.

Reactions: timw33

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Leivo and Ferland are on a completely different level in terms of their play away from the puck. Leivo is actually a good defensive player, and makes only $1.5 million.

Quite aware of Leivo's virtues, I said this summer that he had signed a bargain contract-- although I don't think he's a particularly good defensive player inside his own blue line, actually. Ferland is a solid NHL player who, when healthy, is miles above MacEwen. I've watched almost every game MacEwen's played in the past 11 months, I know where's he at. Let's call in @Bad Goalie as I'm sure that he'd be happy to give an assessment of MacEwen.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
MacEwen doesn't look the part to me, but the point is, players who play this role do not drive the bus, whether it's Ferland or Macewan on the 4th line doesn't really matter, it matters how much you're spending for these roster spots.

This is the exact same premise as supporting Biega and Gaunce (although both these guys are miles better than MacEwen as well.

I don't think it's cherry picking to point half a season of 1 goal, who was only productive over the previous 1.5 seasons by riding shotgun with elite players.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
MacEwen doesn't look the part to me, but the point is, players who play this role do not drive the bus, whether it's Ferland or Macewan on the 4th line doesn't really matter, it matters how much you're spending for these roster spots.

This is the exact same premise as supporting Biega and Gaunce (although both these guys are miles better than MacEwen as well.

I don't think it's cherry picking to point half a season of 1 goal, who was only productive over the previous 1.5 seasons by riding shotgun with elite players.

Contracts are a separate issue; I've frequently criticized Benning's UFA signings. The stuff about Ferland is very similar to things that were written in the Pearson-Leivo thread. Goal scoring slumps happen that aren't necessarily indicative of the player's total value in that stretch and especially not over the longer haul.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It might not matter as much in the regular season but having a 4th line you can trust vs not having one can give a team a decided edge. At the end of the day, you need your 4th line to be able to contribute. If you can have cheap young guys with some offensive potential do that then that's great.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Quite aware of Leivo's virtues, I said this summer that he had signed a bargain contract-- although I don't think he's a particularly good defensive player inside his own blue line, actually. Ferland is a solid NHL player who, when healthy, is miles above MacEwen. I've watched almost every game MacEwen's played in the past 11 months, I know where's he at. Let's call in @Bad Goalie as I'm sure that he'd be happy to give an assessment of MacEwen.

I've watched about 50 of MacEwan's games in that time and totally understand where he's at as well. This is not a defense of MacEwen as much as it is criticism of Ferland, who really looks no better and has been completely lost defensively.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It might not matter as much in the regular season but having a 4th line you can trust vs not having one can give a team a decided edge. At the end of the day, you need your 4th line to be able to contribute. If you can have cheap young guys with some offensive potential do that then that's great.

Except you really don't. Whether your 4th line contributes or not really doesn't move the needle.

Our 4th line in 10-11 was garbage. The two best teams in the NHL right now are Boston and Washington. Boston is playing the likes of Par Lindholm, Brett Ritchie, and Joakim Nordstrom as their 4th line. Washington is playing Nic Dowd and Brendan Leipsic (our garbage castoffs) along with guys like Garnet Hathaway and Chandler Stephenson. All cheap, fungible, garbage nobodies.

And that's the point. Those teams didn't waste huge money on expensive garbage 4th liners who are no better than cheap garbage 4th liners, and invested that money instead in actual good players. We, instead, spent $5.5 million on Beagle and Schaller and then had to turn down Gus Nyquist when he wanted to sign here at reasonable numbers.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I've watched about 50 of MacEwan's games in that time and totally understand where he's at as well. This is not a defense of MacEwen as much as it is criticism of Ferland, who really looks no better and has been completely lost defensively.
And how many games has Ferland played?
Let him play 50 games for us before labeling him. We don’t know how much impact he’s have until he plays half a season or so.
I think the problem is more that we’re at least one real second liner away from having a viable top six. Pearson and Leivo are capable 3rd liners and only second liners in a pinch.
And I agree that we’ve got too much coin tied up in the bottom half of the roster, money that should have been spent on linemates for Horvat.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
And how many games has Ferland played?
Let him play 50 games for us before labeling him. We don’t know how much impact he’s have until he plays half a season or so.
I think the problem is more that we’re at least one real second liner away from having a viable top six. Pearson and Leivo are capable 3rd liners and only second liners in a pinch.
And I agree that we’ve got too much coin tied up in the bottom half of the roster, money that should have been spent on linemates for Horvat.
50 games? You need 50 game samples on 27 year old 300+ game NHL vets now?

We've got a pretty good idea of what he looks like over 4-5 seasons, and when he's not shoehorned onto a 1st line, he's a 3rd liner that doesn't score much.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Except you really don't. Whether your 4th line contributes or not really doesn't move the needle.

Our 4th line in 10-11 was garbage. The two best teams in the NHL right now are Boston and Washington. Boston is playing the likes of Par Lindholm, Brett Ritchie, and Joakim Nordstrom as their 4th line. Washington is playing Nic Dowd and Brendan Leipsic (our garbage castoffs) along with guys like Garnet Hathaway and Chandler Stephenson. All cheap, fungible, garbage nobodies.

And that's the point. Those teams didn't waste huge money on expensive garbage 4th liners who are no better than cheap garbage 4th liners, and invested that money instead in actual good players. We, instead, spent $5.5 million on Beagle and Schaller and then had to turn down Gus Nyquist when he wanted to sign here at reasonable numbers.

And which of those teams have won the Cup with that 4th line you described? When Washington won, they won with Jay Beagle anchoring their 4th line. The Blues won with a 4th line of Barbashev, Sundqvist, and Steen. Are you saying these three are better than Boston and Washington's current 4th line? By the way, Garnet Hathaway has a 4 year $1.5M AAV contract.

There's a difference between having a cheap 4th line due to timing and a cheap 4th line because they are fungible garbage nobodies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Jay Beagle at $1m is fine, but we've got to stop pretending he's some guy who elevates 4th lines.

Washington didn't make it out of the 2nd round with elite teams for a decade on 4th lines he "anchored". Heck, he had 3 playoff points in the 25 games preceding the Caps cup year. 7 years of basically playoff no-shows, but one cup run at 32 and you're the new Kris Draper? C'mon.

Sundqvist was playing 16 mins/night in the playoffs by the way, he was essentially a 2nd liner for them....did you perhaps mean, Zach Sanford?

Reactions: MS

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
50 games? You need 50 game samples on 27 year old 300+ game NHL vets now?

We've got a pretty good idea of what he looks like over 4-5 seasons, and when he's not shoehorned onto a 1st line, he's a 3rd liner that doesn't score much.
Yeah and he looked like a good NHL player over those 4-5 years. He’s hardly had a chance to show what he can do here.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah and he looked like a good NHL player over those 4-5 years. He’s hardly had a chance to show what he can do here.
He looks like a fine NHL player here already. He's just unlikely to score at the rates he did in the past if he's not getting Petey minutes, and they tried, but it didn't work and that's why they moved JT up to that line.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
He looks like a fine NHL player here already. He's just unlikely to score at the rates he did in the past if he's not getting Petey minutes, and they tried, but it didn't work and that's why they moved JT up to that line.
He brings more than just scoring, you should know that and he might be a fit alongside Horvat if he could stay healthy long enough.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jay Beagle at $1m is fine, but we've got to stop pretending he's some guy who elevates 4th lines.

Washington didn't make it out of the 2nd round with elite teams for a decade on 4th lines he "anchored". Heck, he had 3 playoff points in the 25 games preceding the Caps cup year. 7 years of basically playoff no-shows, but one cup run at 32 and you're the new Kris Draper? C'mon.

Beagle actually has higher point production than Kris Draper in the playoffs. C'mon. :popcorn:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And which of those teams have won the Cup with that 4th line you described? When Washington won, they won with Jay Beagle anchoring their 4th line. The Blues won with a 4th line of Barbashev, Sundqvist, and Steen. Are you saying these three are better than Boston and Washington's current 4th line? By the way, Garnet Hathaway has a 4 year $1.5M AAV contract.

There's a difference between having a cheap 4th line due to timing and a cheap 4th line because they are fungible garbage nobodies.

Washington won because they had 5 guys who scored 20+ points and an elite goalie throwing down a .930 save %, not because Jay Beagle was a pretty solid 4th line center.

Like obviously it's better (by a little bit) to have better players on your 4th line, assuming those players can be signed at low cost or are on ELCs (Beagle was signed reasonably at the time). But paying big money for 4th liners, and especially old 4th liners, is always a fool's proposition.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Having a good fourth line is nice but the important thing is to have a cheap fourth line. If you can get both then great but it’s literally the least important part of your team and should not be prioritized over upgrading your top 9, your defense, or your goaltending.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Either that, or leipsic and Dowd are elite 4th line players and Benning was a Moron to let them go. Take your pick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Having a good fourth line is nice but the important thing is to have a cheap fourth line. If you can get both then great but it’s literally the least important part of your team and should not be prioritized over upgrading your top 9, your defense, or your goaltending.

Yup.

Put it this way - if Washington had been paying Jay Beagle $3 million from 2015-18, it probably means they can’t sign TJ Oshie and his 21 points during their Cup run, and don’t win a championship.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Ferland and Beagle could mean the difference between signing both Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes to long term contracts or having to choose between them. Canucks context.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ferland and Beagle could mean the difference between signing both Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes to long term contracts or having to choose between them. Canucks context.

You could also say it’s the difference of adding another JT Miller caliber of player to the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad