Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Schaller is awful. It was embarrassing to see so many hop on his bandwagon when he managed to throw a few good games together.

You must get embarrassed a lot. Schaller played well on a line with Beagle and Motte. He lost his linemates and struggled a bit.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
For goodness sakes F A N, are you honestly still trying to pump the tires of Tim Schaller? If you can't lose two replacement level 4th liners without your game going to absolute crap, then you probably suck.

It was pretty embarrassing to see this fan base start eating crow on 5 or 6 decent games on the 4th line and say he was a "completely different player than last year" when he really wasn't, he was just getting 12-14 minutes a game and the eye test changed for some. The results were nearly identical to last year....which is why I asked what he was doing differently.

This is a guy we all watched last season not score a goal until late March, yet people wanted to take some extended preseason/first month soft scheduled games as if Tim Schaller was a phoenix rising from the ashes. It seemed silly when you guys were doing it, and only looked sillier now.

Schaller is a garbage time monster....produced most last year in garbage time with the team eliminated and then saw an october spike this year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He had two serviceable weeks surrounded by 1.5 years of absolute garbage play and people tried to create a redemption arc for him.

So players can't have bounce back seasons? You change your opinions about players all the time based on what you see at that moment (which I think is acceptable). Schaller at the beginning of the season looked faster than last season and was effective. Just because you're blind to see it doesn't mean it's embarrassing for some of us to have commented on the obvious.

Pip and yourself make is sounds like those of us who praised Schaller at the beginning of the season was propping up Schaller without any reservations or expectation that he may regress.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So players can't have bounce back seasons? You change your opinions about players all the time based on what you see at that moment (which I think is acceptable). Schaller at the beginning of the season looked faster than last season and was effective. Just because you're blind to see it doesn't mean it's embarrassing for some of us to have commented on the obvious.

Pip and yourself make is sounds like those of us who praised Schaller at the beginning of the season was propping up Schaller without any reservations or expectation that he may regress.

There were a lot of comments to the effect of 'Schaller obviously only struggled last year because he was hurt! Now we're seeing the *real* Schaller!' which pretty clearly implied that people expected it would continue.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There were a lot of comments to the effect of 'Schaller obviously only struggled last year because he was hurt! Now we're seeing the *real* Schaller!' which pretty clearly implied that people expected it would continue.
Yeah, his hand injury was considered "major" and we were seeing a revival, a true revival, and not one driven by being in a contract year, something something, there's been a study....

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Schaller is awful. It was embarrassing to see so many hop on his bandwagon when he managed to throw a few good games together.
Couldn't agree more. Just knew the wheels would fall off somewhat making him a AHL plug

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
Wait.. I came in to talk about MacEwan and people are arguing about Schaller?

Green doesn't seem to understand giving players a chance to adjust their game from the AHL to the NHL. Somehow they are supposed to be up to speed and at there peak within 4 or 5 games. To me Zack looked like a perfect fourth liner, that you let play, and wait on a bit to get used to the NHL game. He skates well for a big man and at least has some upside, whereas, what you see from Schaller is what you're gonna get.

The team's development/coaching is the reason we don't have any cheap homegrown third and fourth line players. Oh and of course those spots are filled with big contracts, but that's another story.

Anyways, I liked MacEwans game... And thought he deserved more of a chance.

Edit: I just noticed he has been recalled, and I hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it!

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope I live long enough for a Canuck team to put together a cheap, effective fourth line comprised of home-grown talent earning something around the league minimum.....and playing with a chip on their shoulders to prove they belong in the league.

But unfortunately over the short term that Canucks have such an obscene amount of money tied up in unproductive and at times unmotivated fourth liners, this ideal scenario will probably never happen.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Cmon. Schaller is awful. Bad signing, needs to be out of this line up permanently.

Him and Beagle are getting killed defensively and he doesnt have a single point in 19 games and counting.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Cmon. Schaller is awful. Bad signing, needs to be out of this line up permanently.

Him and Beagle are getting killed defensively and he doesnt have a single point in 19 games and counting.

C'mon what? I am not defending him here. I am not saying the signing has worked out for the Canucks. I am saying it's ridiculous to say it's embarrassing to have some of us comment on Schaller's improved play when he did have that stretch where he was pretty good. The majority of us held that opinion including the media and "analysts" like Ray Ferraro.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Am I the only one who'd like to see Big Mac given an extended run on Horvat's wing? Guy's got the size and ability to play a heavy game on the cycle and complement Pearson and Horvat, plus the offensive skill to actually make plays. His skating could use more work, but I'd love to see him get a bigger opportunity to see what we have.

I mean, I'm not crazy for thinking that it'd be at least as reasonable as employing the corpse of Loui Eriksson for months in the top 6 where he's nowhere close to belonging, right?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Am I the only one who'd like to see Big Mac given an extended run on Horvat's wing? Guy's got the size and ability to play a heavy game on the cycle and complement Pearson and Horvat, plus the offensive skill to actually make plays. His skating could use more work, but I'd love to see him get a bigger opportunity to see what we have.

I mean, I'm not crazy for thinking that it'd be at least as reasonable as employing the corpse of Loui Eriksson for months in the top 6 where he's nowhere close to belonging, right?
Nope, you're not the only one.....I thought MacEwen looked better on Bo's wing in one game than Eriksson has looked all season long. What strikes me sometimes is that Jimbo and Green seem to be at odds over certain players.

For example, Jimbo was quoted as saying he'd like to elevate Rafferty and get a look at him in a couple of games. But the chances of Green actually playing him are basically 'zero'. And now Jimbo says that in his mind, MacEwen is 'an NHL forward'. That may be, but he can't prove it unless he plays.

Interesting comments from the GM who seems to be at a roadblock with the coach sometimes over the utilization of young players.

Reactions: David71

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

You're not the only one. It's perfectly reasonable. They need to scratch Eriksson for good. Send a message that he's had more than enough chances and he's absolutely not in the team's plans anymore. Send him to Utica and dare him to retire. Even if he doesn't, at least you've freed up a roster spot for a more effective player.

I'd love to see MacEwen back on Horvat's line, at least until Boeser is healthy. After that, maybe put him on the 3rd line with Gaudette and Virtanen or on the 4th line, which he would instantly improve.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Benning was saying that he passed on picking up a player like Simmonds because he thinks MacEwen can bring that edge. No we just need to see if Green is willing to give the player the ice-time to prove himself.
Well this is the thing. It's popular to hate on Benning but I think we have to start getting on Green more. We HAVE players that could make this lineup better. It's up to the coach to play them. Benning also has a say of course, I'm just saying that Green's roster management has been weak and he needs to be put in the spotlight more.

I've said it before that I like Green and I think he's done a fantastic job during the rebuilding phase. I do think for this team to take the next step we'll have to upgrade behind the bench though. For now, we'll see what happens this spring.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Nope i'm right with ya
Eriksson with 3 or 4 days off is serviceable but he's just too old and slow and we need someone who can get in after the puck and be a threat game in game out and Eriksson is just simply not that anymore. Not only that teams are gonna take liberties and MacEwen will not stand for shit...if they truly believe he's part of the future it's time to give him a good run. Eriksson is the same story....has rest has a decent game then as the gring and fequency of games steps up he's the invisible man.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Damn I would love that - at least give us some hope here............it's doom and gloom with cement hands Eriksson - man he just has no confidence around the net. In a very short sample size I've liked most of what I've seen of this guy and it certainly would be a MASSIVE breath of fresh air. This reminds me a little back to the start of the year when we were all dying to see Hughes on PP1 yet it took a dozen or so games for that to happen - while we were all sitting on the sidelines screaming at him "WTF ARE U DOING???!!!". (Not at all equating Mac to Hughes btw - more so having Loui on the second line......STILLLLL).

Green you've had your little fun with Loui.......times up. Let's switch shit up please and thank you. I know we are just fans but you are seriously ripping our souls out. Loui tries hard on occasion and is decent defensively and seems like a swell enough dude but for the love of GAWD he's not a second line, play with Bo Horvat kind of guy at this stage in his career.........

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Schaller discussion in here is was hilarious looking back on it all.

Yes because Schaller has been a huge disappointment. He was signed to be a 4th line contributor or at least regular. He wasn't. I think Schaller can be an effective 4th line player at his best especially with his versatility but I think at this point he's likely to spend the rest of his hockey career outside the NHL

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Yes because Schaller has been a huge disappointment. He was signed to be a 4th line contributor or at least regular. He wasn't. I think Schaller can be an effective 4th line player at his best especially with his versatility but I think at this point he's likely to spend the rest of his hockey career outside the NHL
It takes a lot to say you were wrong. I wish there were more people on the board would to.
The fact that everybody gets so engraved in their opinions and never admit they were wrong is a big reason why there is a big divide among the fans on this board.

No shame in admitting you are wrong. I thought Shinkaruk was a stud. Jake Bean would be a top 4 defenseman and thought he would be a top defenseman in the draft. I'm pretty sure I said that JT Miller was a middle 6 tweener. I think I even defended the Gudbranson trade for a little bit. Corrado was a surefire NHLer, I even made a highlight real of him back when I was posting all the clips of prospects on here. Probably a million other things I was wrong about and I forgot.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It takes a lot to say you were wrong. I wish there were more people on the board would to.
The fact that everybody gets so engraved in their opinions and never admit they were wrong is a big reason why there is a big divide among the fans on this board.

No shame in admitting you are wrong. I thought Shinkaruk was a stud. Jake Bean would be a top 4 defenseman and thought he would be a top defenseman in the draft. I'm pretty sure I said that JT Miller was a middle 6 tweener. I think I even defended the Gudbranson trade for a little bit. Corrado was a surefire NHLer, I even made a highlight real of him back when I was posting all the clips of prospects on here. Probably a million other things I was wrong about and I forgot.

I completely agree. I am wrong all the time. But this is a discussion board and just because a poster is wrong 99% of the time doesn't mean he/she didn't bring up good points and just because a poster is right most of the time doesn't mean he/she can't be legitimately questioned.

A lot of times we simply don't have enough info. Everyone said that Juolevi is a good skater but now we question his ability to pivot. Meanwhile Tkachuk is still a poor skater but he's a first line winger.

Reactions: vanuck and WTG

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

You're right, WTG, no shame in admitting fault. The best posters here admit they were/are wrong even though their overall record dwarfs that of other posters. In turn, they garner even more respect than they already have.

It's actually not that hard to say that you're wrong. If the logic is sound, it has to be said. Or, if the solution is inconclusive and you respect the other poster enough, just relent in that moment. Each poster's track record goes a long way here, but it's not hard. Certain ingredients need to be present for it to happen.

On the flip side, discourse becomes difficult to near impossible when respect and logic are absent. This can happen for many reasons, but I think the primary causes are:

1. A refusal to bend to logic. When this happens, posters entrench based upon emotion.
2. When posters think fans should be one way; when in fact fans are varied in motivations and thresholds.
3. Assuming that an opinion carries equal weight to a reasoned argument.

The last one is especially troublesome because everyone has the right to an opinion, yes, but not all opinions are valid or tested. As a result, they do not carry an equal weighting.

We've seen some great long-time posters leave and some good ones enter. All throughout, those 3 causes have driven and will continue to drive the discourse. It's up to everyone here to decide which route they want to take. Curious to see how it all shakes out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad