Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Player Safety is a mess...I was ok with Tom Wilson's fine...probably should have been ejected from the game...I'm fine with it. I'm good with Buchnevich getting a couple games, nail a guy in the face get a couple games...I'm even ok with Edler getting a couple games for hanging the knee...thats ugly even though he's a clean player....but this is completely messed up to me, how does MacEwen get supplementary discipline for whatever it was he did (or didn't do)? And then there is nothing for Nurse? I'm not looking for Nurse to be suspended, but the crosschecks, the slash to the back, the punches and then the body slam and punches when MacEwen was already down? Can we get a fine at least? Nothing for Archibald's blindside headshot on Highmore? Even fining Hamonic for his headshot on Chiasson would be appropriate...but how Nurse gets away with nothing is a joke....wow.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Player Safety is a mess...I was ok with Tom Wilson's fine...probably should have been ejected from the game...I'm fine with it. I'm good with Buchnevich getting a couple games, nail a guy in the face get a couple games...I'm even ok with Edler getting a couple games for hanging the knee...thats ugly even though he's a clean player....but this is completely messed up to me, how does MacEwen get supplementary discipline for whatever it was he did (or didn't do)? And then there is nothing for Nurse? I'm not looking for Nurse to be suspended, but the crosschecks, the slash to the back, the punches and then the body slam and punches when MacEwen was already down? Can we get a fine at least? Nothing for Archibald's blindside headshot on Highmore? Even fining Hamonic for his headshot on Chiasson would be appropriate...but how Nurse gets away with nothing is a joke....wow.
Yup. And just so people don't think that Vancouver fans are whining, Hamonic's headshot on Chaisson was clearly suspendable IMO. It's something the league is trying to get rid of and it could have easily resulted in a concusion. The only thing Nurse was in danger of was a bruised ego.

Reactions: Canucker

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yup. And just so people don't think that Vancouver fans are whining, Hamonic's headshot on Chaisson was clearly suspendable IMO. It's something the league is trying to get rid of and it could have easily resulted in a concusion. The only thing Nurse was in danger of was a bruised ego.

For me, the Hamonic hit was probably suspendable....I'm not sure what his history is...I think he did let up on Chiasson but he did get him clearly in the head...definitely worthy of some supplementary discipline....but I can't for the life of me find anything worthy of a suspension that MacEwen did.

Reactions: iceburg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
For me, the Hamonic hit was probably suspendable....I'm not sure what his history is...I think he did let up on Chiasson but he did get him clearly in the head...definitely worthy of some supplementary discipline....but I can't for the life of me find anything worthy of a suspension that MacEwen did.

Exactly. At worst he was baiting Nurse. There was absolutely no chance of injury. I'm guessing that Edmonton and Nurse protested to the league to deflect from his embarrassing temper tantrum and his other antics that could have potentially been reviewed for supplementary discipline on him.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Bloody stupid.

I've never seen that angle before so there might be something to this...not a fan of kneeing someone in the head who is down...it really didn't look very egregious from the other angle, but regardless...didn't seem suspension worthy, perhaps a fine...but I definitely saw far worse last night that didn't even get a sniff of supplemental discipline. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hadn't seen that angle before. No problem with the suspension and it could have been longer to be honest as it was obviously intentional. I think MacEwen just got caught up in the moment after the collision.

Reactions: Zippgunn

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So I got that laugh I was hoping for. Apparently MacEwen got suspended one game for the "concept" of kneeing someone in the head. In other words, "it was a nothing play but we didn't like the idea."

And I loved the outro...."it was a light touch but if it was harder we would have suspended him longer"...really? No really? Say that again so I actually understand it...

This is beyond lame.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
In a vacuum I agree with the decision to punish someone attempting to make a play like that

But I know this will never become the norm and will be wildly inconsistent and that's frustrating

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I disagree. Imo Big Mac is fortunate he only got one game. Players can’t skate by a guy who’s down and direct their knee into him. Really leading with the knee is just a dangerous thing to do. And I hate the Oilers!
That wasn't even close to being a dangerous play. By this standard skating on the ice is dangerous and should be punished.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Still dont see it from the newer angles

his glove still makes contact with his skate first and his knee goes forward and it still doesnt even show that it hits his head and not his shoulder.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That wasn't even close to being a dangerous play. By this standard skating on the ice is dangerous and should be punished.
It’s kneeing, which is a penalty. I definitely don’t believe Big Mac intended harm by the action. Still it’s leading with the knee, and making contact. One game is fair. I actually though he might get more, and he would have if Nurse was hurt.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It’s kneeing, which is a penalty. I definitely don’t believe Big Mac intended harm by the action. Still it’s leading with the knee, and making contact. One game is fair. I actually though he might get more, and he would have if Nurse was hurt.
So every time a player face washes another in front of the net it should be called roughing. Really? Is that your position? The intensity of the act is always a factor. Just because his knee touched someone, even if it was directed, doesn't constitute kneeing. And any attempt to justify it as kneeing is stretching the limits of credibility.

Reactions: petka

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So every time a player face washes another in front of the net it should be called roughing. Really? Is that your position? The intensity of the act is always a factor. Just because his knee touched someone, even if it was directed, doesn't constitute kneeing. And any attempt to justify it as kneeing is stretching the limits of credibility.
It’s kneeing, which is not roughing.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It’s kneeing, which is not roughing.
Clearly you missed the point. Where is the line? If two players are in a scrum and one sticks his knee out and touches the other is that always kneeing by your definition?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Still think Nurse like what he did last night and guys who decide to drop the gloves with other players and start pounding on them before they even know what the hell is going on is 10x worse.

and I still appreciate fighting in hockey.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
So the league is giving out suspensions for intent now? How do they know he targeted the head? Maybe I’m biased but it seemed to me like MacEwen wanted to use his shin and top of his skate to push at Nurse’s arm. Of course I can’t prove this and that’s the point of putting intent on others. You can’t prove what he was trying to do.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So the league is giving out suspensions for intent now? How do they know he targeted the head? Maybe I’m biased but it seemed to me like MacEwen wanted to use his shin and top of his skate to push at Nurse’s arm. Of course I can’t prove this and that’s the point of putting intent on others. You can’t prove what he was trying to do.
Not intent....the "concept". The idea that a serious injury could have occurred if he used more force was what they suspended him for.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Since when has DoPS ever needed "proof"? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad