Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Deserved a game in my opinion. Unnecessary play.

I really didn't like Nurse's takedown from the fight. I'm really surprised it didn't get a look.

My guess is the Oilers petitioned the league, and Jim/John were too busy playing with an abacus to proactively contact the league protecting their players.

Reactions: Fatass

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Some of the dumbest reasoning ever. When it’s the reasoning in literally the same week as Tom Wilson only getting a fine for what he did it becomes mind boggling.
What frustrates me so much (and clearly those who have read the thread know I'm frustrated) is that the intent that MacEwen had happens all the time during a game. I have no doubt that MacEwen intentionally stuck his knee out and contacted Nurse. But it was clearly meant to annoy Nurse not to injure him. It was gamesmanship. It was getting under the other guy's skin. Burrows was a master at this. Sometimes it warrants an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. And maybe that's what MacEwen should have received.
But to elevate this to a suspendable offense is absolutely mind boggling. Hamonic should have been suspended for his shoulder to the head of the Edmonton player last night. Nurse MMAing MacEwen during the fight should have warranted a review. But annoying a player on the opposite team? Really? I'm not sure what to say about the discernment of the NHL executive. This is absurd.

(thanks for letting me vent....it's always easier to do responding to a post rather than cold posting :) ).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously Bettman and the NHL are going to revamp their department of player safety at the end of the season.

Teams out West can get screwed by the rulings all the time, but when the New York Rangers complain it's like the old E.F. Hutton ad---when the Rangers talk, people listen.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The NHL's old Wheel of Justice. Another seemingly nonsense punishment.

I don't have any issue with suspending Mac. But it's not really consistent with other rulings. Worse things get lesser punishments.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Nurse should be thrown out of the league for being useless on the ice and a crybaby that can't take a punch.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
NHL_player_safety.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not really intent to injure and he didn't exactly drive his knee in, but it's a dangerous play where he could accidentally deliver more force than intended. I don't think Bertuzzi was planning on 1 punch KOing Moore and having him fall head first into the ice, but that's why we can't tolerate people making dangerous plays like a sucker punch. MacEwen should know better than to even risk making knee-on-head contact, so a 1 game suspension is appropriate, if not generous.

I'm not sure what the rules are on takedowns in fights. They happen all the time so I don't know if there are legal and illegal ways to take someone down in a fight in the NHL. While Nurse's takedown was seemingly dangerous, I would be surprised if there is a rule specifically prohibiting what Nurse did.

Reactions: Zippgunn and m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, I for one look forward to a long and entertaining Nurse/MacEwen feud... with lots of opportunities for Big Mac to beat Nurse down.
It might not last as long as you think. Based on his usage this season, the Canucks don't seem to value him that highly.

And if I read the expansion rules correctly, he'll have to be protected if the Canucks want to keep him. So there's a chance he renews his rivalry with Nurse as a member of the Seattle Kraken.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It might not last as long as you think. Based on his usage this season, the Canucks don't seem to value him that highly.

And if I read the expansion rules correctly, he'll have to be protected if the Canucks want to keep him. So there's a chance he renews his rivalry with Nurse as a member of the Seattle Kraken.

Maybe the Kraken will pass on him due to his lack of visibility this season.

Besides, my sad bet is that, if we're outside the top 5, Benning gives up our 1st for the Kraken to take Eriksson.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Another spin the wheel suspension, sad.

I like ZMac, he’s what you want on your 4th line in today’s league. Big, physical, can skate, has good enough offensive ability, willing to drop the gloves and most of all he’s cheap.

Imagine how much money you could spend on your dmen and top 9 forwards if you had 4 guys like him as your 10-14th forwards on the roster instead of the overpaid intangibles Benning has wasted cap on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of the ironies about this season, is that when it comes to their bottom six, the Canucks might actually have finally gotten it right almost by accident.

Guys like MacEwan, Boyd, Vesey, Hawryluk, Michaelis, Highmore and Motte are all energy guys who come in at exactly price point you need f0r
third and fourth liners. The fact that half of them arrived via the waiver wire doesn't diminish their value.

Sadly, the Canucks still have Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel and Virtanen lurking in wings with a combined cap hit of close to $20m a season.....and I guess it's inevitable they'll all them will be back eventually.

But it really underscores how badly the Canucks have butchered the salary cap for bottom of the roster players.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Deserved a game in my opinion. Unnecessary play.

I really didn't like Nurse's takedown from the fight. I'm really surprised it didn't get a look.

My guess is the Oilers petitioned the league, and Jim/John were too busy playing with an abacus to proactively contact the league protecting their players.

My guess is that they figured the fight was consensual (and takedowns happen in fights) whereas Nurse was on the ice in a vulnerable position unable to defend himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00