The best player in your team's history to be placed on waivers...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Wings waived Quincey and then traded a first round pick at the deadline to get him back. Tampa then drafted Andrei Vasilevsky with that first rounder. Not Ken Holland’s finest hour.
And if memory serves part of the backlog on defense was because they re-signed a 47 year-old Chelios, who didn't even make it through the season.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
No, he was traded to Buffalo for Chris Gratton and some low pick. Almost as ridiculous as waiving him, however.

Pretty interesting thread with some big names in it. I can't think of any Coyotes players off hand who were waived, and went on to glory.
He passed through waivers a couple years before.

Reactions: Tom Polakis

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
The Caps last year traded Brooks Orpik, let the Avs buy out his contract, then claimed him off waivers. haha.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Columbus has not lost many players to waivers, Curtis McElhinney is the most notable.

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
usp_nhl__stanley_cup_final-tampa_bay_lightning_at_73830098.jpg

Reactions: Crow

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
That's who I was thinking of coming into the thread. However it wasn't quite a 'we're getting rid of you because we no longer want you' waiver. (going from long ago memories) GMBM told Bryz that, as thanks for all he did/stepped up big time, he wouldn't keep him in a #2 spot because Giggy was in his (declining) prime too & that at the end of whatever season it was, would put him out on waivers. I can't remember all the details but it boiled down to BM not wanting to hold him back & keep him as the backup.
Pretty sure it was Burke, not Murray

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
What team are you counting him for ? Montreal ? Nashville ?

Nashville did waive him but that was so Montreal could play him on their farm team

Was talking about Nashville waiving him, but the thread was about best player from your team, Nashville is not my team.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Lightning

Mike Smith is probably the “best” Tampa has ever waived. Incidentally he cleared at the time.

Technically didn’t we have to put Vinny on waivers before we bought him out? He was a shell of his former self by that point, of course, but he’s still the greatest player in Lightning history and we did ultimately place him on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad