The best player in your team's history to be placed on waivers...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Canucks

brodeur.jpg

When did the Canucks put Richard Brodeur on waivers?

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Micheal Grabner. Picked 14th overall by Van. Dealt to the Panthers in a multi player deal. Panthers try to sneak him to the farm team, boom, scooped up by NYI. Went on to score 34 goals the next year. Then traded to the Leafs for five players!!! (all roster dumps though)

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The Rangers put Wade Redden on waivers when he was still a middle-pairing caliber defenceman. That back in the day where you could bury the entire cap hit and nobody wanted to touch that contract with a ten foot pole.

The Caps did the same with Michael Nylander the year before.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Mark Recchi in 2007. He looked like he was done. His agent even tried to broker a trade but nobody would give up an asset. He passed through waivers, but was claimed by Atlanta on re-entry waivers, at half the cap hit. He ended up playing 5 more years as a key vet in a secondary role and won another Cup, leading Boston in scoring in the 2011 Cup finals series.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Mark Recchi in 2007. He looked like he was done. His agent even tried to broker a trade but nobody would give up an asset. He passed through waivers, but was claimed by Atlanta on re-entry waivers, at half the cap hit. He ended up playing 5 more years as a key vet in a secondary role and won another Cup, leading Boston in scoring in the 2011 Cup finals series.

He played well for the Thrashers, too. He put up 40 points in 53 games for Atlanta after being claimed.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He played well for the Thrashers, too. He put up 40 points in 53 games for Atlanta after being claimed.

I believe he also scored a game winning shootout goal for the Thrashers against the Pens that year, too.

It’s funny, there were rumors about locker room issues and that Recchi and Crosby had gotten into it because Rex questioned Sid’s leadership ability. Now he coaches him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Devils have actually been pretty good about not waiving the wrong players.

Unfortunately, we can't seem to draft the right ones either.

Reactions: NinjaKick

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You would think that after waiving MSL the Flames would have learned their lesson and kept Paul Byron.

Not that Byron is anywhere near as good, but he was a hard working little speedster in a league that was obviously getting faster. That's just lack of awareness by the Flames. Nice to get a 20-20 middle six winger who can play in all situations for free.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
To be fair St Louis was undrafted, and the Flames were the only team to give him a chance. He also cleared waivers.

He didn't end up on Tampa until he became a UFA. He wasn't picked up via waivers.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
..This isn't really something you win, but then again I wouldn't exactly expect a Flames fan to know what a W looks like.

..ooh, look at the Sabres fan talkin' smack!

When you spend so much time thinking a win is a loss, I completely see how Sabres fans understand us in this thread... :sarcasm: We are totally jealous of Eichel and Dahlin though.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Didn’t Bryzgalov get picked up off waivers? In his prime?

That's who I was thinking of coming into the thread. However it wasn't quite a 'we're getting rid of you because we no longer want you' waiver. (going from long ago memories) GMBM told Bryz that, as thanks for all he did/stepped up big time, he wouldn't keep him in a #2 spot because Giggy was in his (declining) prime too & that at the end of whatever season it was, would put him out on waivers. I can't remember all the details but it boiled down to BM not wanting to hold him back & keep him as the backup.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
probably kunitz for the ducks. they waived him, he was picked up by ATL and played a couple games for them before being waived again and picked back up by the ducks

speaking of bryzgalov, he was waived because they also had giguere and hiller on the roster. it was simply a matter of giguere or bryzgalov and they chose the former

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Danny Briere for the Coyotes.

No, he was traded to Buffalo for Chris Gratton and some low pick. Almost as ridiculous as waiving him, however.

Pretty interesting thread with some big names in it. I can't think of any Coyotes players off hand who were waived, and went on to glory.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For the Flyers

Waived Reggie Leach in 1982 towards the end of his career
Waived Ron Hextall in 1999 towards the end of his career
Waived Petr Nedved in 2006 towards the end of his career
Waived Nikolai Zherdev in 2011 towards the end of his career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad