The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The progress up until late March 2020

10:18 AM · Apr 7, 2020 (PDT)

it is amazing how far they have gotten in 6 months since groundbreaking.

I was hoping for something like this by the summer and they look ahead of schedule.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
it is amazing how far they have gotten in 6 months since groundbreaking.

I was hoping for something like this by the summer and they look ahead of schedule.
Well not anymore.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Man, we’re going to from having the worst arena in hockey, to probably the best. I love the stables in the background; it reminds me of Camden Yards

Unfortunately, I predict tomorrow will be the “season is cancelled” date

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I was just thinking about this last night, depending on how long it takes to get back to normal, do we possibly move to the new arena mid season if things are delayed long enough?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was just thinking about this last night, depending on how long it takes to get back to normal, do we possibly move to the new arena mid season if things are delayed long enough?
I guess all options are on the table. Other teams have had mod-season moves.

Just as long as we move in.

Reactions: WagnerGrad96

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So Barclays was built when -- 2008? Great recession -- real estate crash --- so owners didnt opt to support for an NHL team, right? That is why its the 'ole horseshoe...

Fast forward today.

Isles arena (which still isn't needed other than giving a home for our team) is being built, during.... "Worst unemployment rate since the Great Depression"

We're cursed.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So Barclays was built when -- 2008? Great recession -- real estate crash --- so owners didnt opt to support for an NHL team, right? That is why its the 'ole horseshoe...

Fast forward today.

Isles arena (which still isn't needed other than giving a home for our team) is being built, during.... "Worst unemployment rate since the Great Depression"

We're cursed.
The stock markets are certainly betting on a quick recovery.

Reactions: bigtim1988

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Fast forward today.

We're cursed.

Correct me if I am wrong but Barclays was not built for hockey because Wang did not want to go there originally.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Correct me if I am wrong but Barclays was not built for hockey because Wang did not want to go there originally.
I believe the original plan was for a multi-sport arena. Housing crash put pressure on the finances. They approached Wang to see if he wanted to get involved. When he said no, they decided to scrap the original plans and settle for an, essentially, one sport arena.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

Floral Park was found to have no standing in the RFP process as they didn't bid

Floral Park vs NYAP 9th cause of action 1.png
Floral Park vs NYAP 9th cause of action 2.png
Floral Park vs NYAP final conclusion.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Are there others pending still?
I don’t think so. IIRC the Belmont Community Coalition had even less compelling evidence than VFP did. BCC basically came with pictures of framed Isles jerseys hanging in Laura Curran’s office and some editorials by Randi Marshall :laugh:

Reactions: YearlyLottery

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

You don't need to be corrected - You're right on target. We know wang/Ratner had meeting about Barclays when they were in the design phase about the Isles/Nets being co-tenants of Barclays. Of course Ratner and company wanted the Isles there and the original Frank Gehry design called for Barclays to be a full two-sport (hockey/basketball) arena.

In 2009 due to the recession, and no doubt wang saying no to Ratner, they scaled back the project from Gehry's design (which was much more beautiful) and made it smaller (just for basketball) and saved a lot of money. wang was so mindnumbingly blind to Nassau that he tried to get two massive projects done with total obliviousness to how positics work and how to market a vote to the public, so he failed when he could've just jumped on Ratner's coattails earlier and the Isles wouldn't have had to play in an arena where some fans can't see the ice, but an SUV can.

Here's an article from 2009 when Gehry was let go from the project and it was scaled down:

Developer Drops Gehry’s Design for Brooklyn Arena

And here's the kicker line from it:

"If the arena is built, however, it will most likely take more than two years to complete. Unlike the Gehry design, the new arena would not accommodate a professional hockey team."

Little did they know that because he was such a failure with his other arena attempts, wang would have to come crawling back to Ratner when it was too late and shoehorn the Isles into what was then only a basketball arena. From there you know the rest.

All I can say is that it is a breath a fresh air to have ownership now who not only get it philosophically, but can get things done physically. What they've done in about 3 years is remarkable and should tell you even further what a putz wang was for the 15 years he was "running" the team.

Malkin/Ledecky 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad