The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Did you see the f***ing cup holders??????? Holy shit!

cCyqbfO.png

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Ask the Jets if they want to break their lease on Metlife Stadium.

They have an opt out in 2025 my man. Get on that

Give Florham Park to the G-Men as part of the buy out. Build a stadium where the fanbase actually is. Sound as a pound

Lease terms[edit]

View of MetLife Stadium (under construction) and Giants Stadium (on right) in July 2009
The two teams formed the New Meadowlands Stadium Company, LLC (now MetLife Stadium Company), a 50/50 joint venture, to build and operate the stadium. The two teams leased the parcel of land on which the stadium stands from the NJSEA for a 25-year term, with options to extend it which could eventually reach 97 years. After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. The first such opportunity to opt out will occur in 2025 with a notice date of 2024. There will then be an opportunity to opt out in 2030, 2035, 2040, etc... However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease. Based on the teams' histories, this clause presumably allows the Jets to eventually decide they want to play in their own stadium and leave if they can find a way to finance it. However, the high cost of building and relocating to a new stadium makes this very unlikely (although the Jets have relocated their facilities to Florham Park, New Jersey). The teams also get parking revenue from the Meadowlands' western parking lots year round, even when there are no events at the stadium (this would occur when other parts of the Meadowlands host events).[22]

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
They have an opt out in 2025 my man. Get on that

Give Florham Park to the G-Men as part of the buy out. Build a stadium where the fanbase actually is. Sound as a pound

Lease terms[edit]

View of MetLife Stadium (under construction) and Giants Stadium (on right) in July 2009
The two teams formed the New Meadowlands Stadium Company, LLC (now MetLife Stadium Company), a 50/50 joint venture, to build and operate the stadium. The two teams leased the parcel of land on which the stadium stands from the NJSEA for a 25-year term, with options to extend it which could eventually reach 97 years. After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. The first such opportunity to opt out will occur in 2025 with a notice date of 2024. There will then be an opportunity to opt out in 2030, 2035, 2040, etc... However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease. Based on the teams' histories, this clause presumably allows the Jets to eventually decide they want to play in their own stadium and leave if they can find a way to finance it. However, the high cost of building and relocating to a new stadium makes this very unlikely (although the Jets have relocated their facilities to Florham Park, New Jersey). The teams also get parking revenue from the Meadowlands' western parking lots year round, even when there are no events at the stadium (this would occur when other parts of the Meadowlands host events).[22]

I saw that on wikipedia yesterday, but the link on Wikipedia is dead. The section right after the bold may make it tough for Jets to break their lease at Metlife.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Apparently Staple opined in his Q&A that the team will most likely continue to play in both arenas next year. I don't subscribe, so can anyone let me know if he included any more details or rationale?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Apparently Staple opined in his Q&A that the team will most likely continue to play in both arenas next year. I don't subscribe, so can anyone let me know if he included any more details or rationale?

That's the only Belmont reference in the Q&A. The rest of his summary is in other threads here.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He said he expects that, yes. Mentioned that the NHL wants the Islanders to play in a larger, more modern arena, while the Islanders want to play at the Coliseum so it's a constant battle.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
super pumped for belmont! in the spirit of the holidays and NIMBYISM. I am also excited to hear the first complaint about Belmont when the arena opens. Any guesses? Id say commute/parking. Maybe the cup holders are too small. Maybe the scoreboard is too big. Either way, excited for the new arena!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He said he expects that, yes. Mentioned that the NHL wants the Islanders to play in a larger, more modern arena, while the Islanders want to play at the Coliseum so it's a constant battle.

I'm super psyched for that battle to end in 2021.

Reactions: PK Cronin

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Steve as a Jet season ticket holder....can you get on this? Now that Cohen owns the Mets maybe we can get something going??

One side openedned a la Heinz’s field? Wind chaos from the bay. Thanks man. Tweet the Johnsons

My wife's family had season tickets for the Jets since 1964 and I took them over in the mid 90s.. Finally gave them up in 2014, With the savings, I went from a Islander partial season ticket holder to a full season ticket holder. Best move I ever made , but if they were in Queens, Nassau or Suffolk would get them back in a second. Finally fulfill Hess' promise to bring them back.

Reactions: Costigan77

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
super pumped for belmont! in the spirit of the holidays and NIMBYISM. I am also excited to hear the first complaint about Belmont when the arena opens. Any guesses? Id say commute/parking. Maybe the cup holders are too small. Maybe the scoreboard is too big. Either way, excited for the new arena!
1. Ticket Prices ("They are gouging the the true fans!")
2. Sightlines ("The coliseum was WAY better.")
3. Parking fees ("I can't believe what they are charging!!")
4. Commute/Parking ("It took me XX minutes longer than it ever did to the Coliseum/Barclays!")
5. Attendance ("We finally get our own arena and the pathetic fanbase can't fill it!")
6. The Retail Village ("The shops suck/nothing that I like/who will buy this/its too expensive/tourists aren't coming here.")
7. Bathrooms ("I had to wait line XX minutes last night! Same shit like the coliseum/Barclays!")
8. Concessions prices ("$14 for a beer?!?! Are they high!?")

I'm sure there will be more... the color scheme, architecture, premium seating, acoustics, layout, atmosphere... We will dissect and over-analyze everything. And argue like hell about it.

:)

Reactions: doublechili

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
1. Ticket Prices ("They are gouging the the true fans!")
2. Sightlines ("The coliseum was WAY better.")
3. Parking fees ("I can't believe what they are charging!!")
4. Commute/Parking ("It took me XX minutes longer than it ever did to the Coliseum/Barclays!")
5. Attendance ("We finally get our own arena and the pathetic fanbase can't fill it!")
6. The Retail Village ("The shops suck/nothing that I like/who will buy this/its too expensive/tourists aren't coming here.")
7. Bathrooms ("I had to wait line XX minutes last night! Same **** like the coliseum/Barclays!")
8. Concessions prices ("$14 for a beer?!?! Are they high!?")

I'm sure there will be more... the color scheme, architecture, premium seating, acoustics, layout, atmosphere... We will dissect and over-analyze everything. And argue like hell about it.

:)
I’m fighting the first person that says “I don’t understand why they couldn’t just stay at the Coliseum”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad