OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Seems a lot more like an acquisition than what you typically think of as a merger, though DFH's Sam C will have a seat on the BBC board, and is technically a "merger".

Yeah totally agreed. It's not like the Victory / Southern Tier situation where they were essentially two equals that created a holding company to help them both compete and grow nationally.

Speaking of that, I didn't realize until a google search just now that Artisanal Brewing Ventures, the holding company for Victory/Southern Tier acquired Sixpoint brewing company in late 2018. Interesting to see that kind of consolidation among peer breweries.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yeah totally agreed. It's not like the Victory / Southern Tier situation where they were essentially two equals that created a holding company to help them both compete and grow nationally.

Speaking of that, I didn't realize until a google search just now that Artisanal Brewing Ventures, the holding company for Victory/Southern Tier acquired Sixpoint brewing company in late 2018. Interesting to see that kind of consolidation among peer breweries.
Between BMC and other entities buying up craft brewers and the explosion of local microbreweries nationwide making good beer, these consolidations/mergers/etc are going to continue. For a lot of these middle to large sized craft stalwarts, joining forces might starting being necessary to avoid getting lost in the shuffle at the regional and national level and having to shrink back. Several big names are struggling as people opt for neighborhood brewers in many markets. A lot of formerly massively popular "chase" beers are becoming more common as shelf warmers. It's crazy how fast things change.

I think the BBC/DFH deal makes sense for both sides.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I take some of my "special, mail ordered" beer to WV with me because I've not much else to do down here. Just cracked one open after having some brews and whiskey at dinner only to realize that the ABV of the beer is 17%. :laugh: Tastes great though.

Guess I'll be feeling this tomorrow.

Also, bump!

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've wanted to start getting into good quality rum and I just started by grabbing some Maggie's Farm. Only spirit I've been able to drink straight. Although I do add 2 ice cubes and let them partially melt. Opens up the flavor.

Not a huge bourbon/whiskey guy but I do like rum.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Speaking of rum, I just brought a 6 year old Panama rum that was finished in Omnipollo/Dugges Anagram Blueberry Cheesecake Stout Barrels - only had a sip so far, but it's pretty good, even if I'm struggling to get all the flavours.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you know what's delicious? And I say this without even a hint of irony. Bud Light Lime. Also, White Claw. Bud Light Orange and Lemon Tea are awful though. In general, I have gotten super in to sours and other fruity beers. I get to order things with cool names like Odd Side's Passionfruit Mango Fruitsicle, and it's so damn delicious.

Reactions: Peat

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
you know what's delicious? And I say this without even a hint of irony. Bud Light Lime. Also, White Claw. Bud Light Orange and Lemon Tea are awful though. In general, I have gotten super in to sours and other fruity beers. I get to order things with cool names like Odd Side's Passionfruit Mango Fruitsicle, and it's so damn delicious.

Have you had IC Light Mango? I've heard many positive things about that one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I've wanted to start getting into good quality rum and I just started by grabbing some Maggie's Farm. Only spirit I've been able to drink straight. Although I do add 2 ice cubes and let them partially melt. Opens up the flavor.

Not a huge bourbon/whiskey guy but I do like rum.

Plantation and Diplomatico are pretty solid.

Plantation has a pineapple barrel aged rum that goes down way too smooth. Also, it doesn’t taste artificial at all. It’s historically a super popular style from the 19th century or some BS marketing gimmick.

Plantation Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum

Used to shoot one or two a day in my bar working days..

Reactions: Peat and Beauner

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm an unashamed White Claw/Truly fan.
Plantation and Diplomatico are pretty solid.

Plantation has a pineapple barrel aged rum that goes down way too smooth. Also, it doesn’t taste artificial at all. It’s historically a super popular style from the 19th century or some BS marketing gimmick.

Plantation Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum

Used to shoot one or two a day in my bar working days..
That looks amazing.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

White Claws = No Laws :)

Anyway I'm a straighforward alcohol imbiber. I enjoy Angry Orchard and the ciders, but anything beyond that just doesn't taste good to me. Not an IPA fan or otherwise

Typically though I'll just do Tito's and tonic (with Lime). Feel like Tito's is extremely smooth and my fiance and I haven't found any other Vodka we'd consider changing it up for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm all about the fruitiness but it needs some balance or the sugar and sweetness upsets my stomach in short order. Angry Orchard Green Apple is my drink of choice when in the States if I just want to casually knock something back - but only For the first two, then heartburn kicks in. Bud Light Lime would be perfectly acceptable. There's a beer over here called Sleeping Limes that's a lot like it - and Seaquench from Dogfish might be my new favourite for casual, as its in that area only tastier. And that new Mango IPA Southern Tier does is very acceptable.

Had a Rhubarb and Custard cider the other day.

It was, er, interesting.

That the Brothers one? I've only had their Sticky Toffee one, which was fun but not that fun. I think it'd be great for making cupcakes with though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am getting over them and onto something else. What does that make me?

I'm the same way. I've burned myself out on them. Kinda been ****ing around with a bunch of sours and lighter, crisper offerings this Summer.

Probably soon to be hipsters again, as IPAs go out of fashion a little and other beers - particular sours and fruity - come in.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Are you getting into sours?

Already hit the sour peak and am backing off lol. Honestly, I liked sours a few years ago. They are obviously everywhere now so it's fun to try new ones, but think the quality has been hit or miss and some are more hype than anything. Just saw a freaking ICEE sour.

I just like good beer of all styles and tend to drink more seasonally. Just frustrating when you go to a bar and there are 15 IPAs and only 1 good non IPA.

Been drinking a fair amount of Saisons and Kolsch's lately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad