OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
What’s new and interesting?

I saw there is a new Santa’s Private Reserve this year with tangerine and boysenberries in it. Been on the lookout for it.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I know we have some people from Ohio in here. I just saw that Platform Beer Co. based out of Cleveland is opening a 10 barrel brewery along with tasting room and kitchen in Garfield later this year.

Any thoughts on them, I've never had anything from them before.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I know we have some people from Ohio in here. I just saw that Platform Beer Co. based out of Cleveland is opening a 10 barrel brewery along with tasting room and kitchen in Garfield later this year.

I've had some beers from them and liked both. My friends in Erie and Cleveland both praise Platform.

The location they're opening up was originally going to be Helltown's satellite location, from what I was told. I guess they'll just be staying put in Mount Pleasant?

@Ogrezilla not sure if you know anything about that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I was coming here to post about them actually so funny timing.

There are exploding a little faster than they probably should, although I'm not the one with the money!

They started as small brewpub in Ohio City in 2014 with focus on small batch collaborations and helping home brewers launch careers in brewing. That quickly shifted to full on growth mode and since then have opened brewpubs in Columbus, Cincy (this summer), and Pittsburgh (coming soon) as well as production facility in Cleveland and upcoming sour production facility in Cleveland.

Their focus is on constant rotations of new products with a few seasonals and staples. Because they change so frequently (think pub specials at more established places), they can and distribute some duds IMO and also market different "series" of beers that all taste very similar despite claiming they are different. There was also an article on CleveScene magazine highlighting local beer scene and some other more established breweries threw some shade at them about quality vs quantity. Probably a bit of sour grapes, but my taste buds agree at times.

That said, I do really enjoy a number of their beers and on the whole, they are a great addition to the Cleveland Beer scene. They have pushed the envelope on sours and unique ingredients. I am particularly excited about their sour production facility and taproom opening here at some point later this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've had some beers from them and liked both. My friends in Erie and Cleveland both praise Platform.

The location they're opening up was originally going to be Helltown's satellite location, from what I was told. I guess they'll just be staying put in Mount Pleasant?

@Ogrezilla not sure if you know anything about that.
all I know about Helltown is that it's in Mt Pleasant and I don't really like their beer :laugh:

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I know Helltown recently purchased Rivertowne brewing, so that may be why they backed out of that location. From what I’ve seen, they only purchased the brewery and tap house in Export as they couldn’t secure the actual property the other taphouses were located on(Rivertowne was leasing the properties), but it sounds like they may be trying to still acquire them. It looks like the North Shore location closed entirely with no chance of reopening as Helltown.

I’ve heard a few of the same critiques regarding Draai Laag/Strange Roots in terms of quantity vs quality as you mentioned about Platform. I haven’t had any particular duds in the limited amount I’ve tried from Strange Roots, but I actually haven’t had anything from them since they changed names.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Avery has been killing it with their gold foil barrel aged series. Expensive (and only 12 oz), but I have found them to always be a hit.
averysandyclaws.jpg

This Sandy Claws was fantastic. Bourbon barrel aged peppermint chocolate stout. Essentially an Andes Stout. Didn't overdo the mint where it tastes like toothpaste, just perfect.
63216871_B.png

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Actually heard a story when I visited Foundation brewing in Maine over the fall. I heard that there are tons of new styles of hops growing in Africa or South America(I forget which), but that AB inBev buys them all up and does nothing with them. He said they buy them for the sole purpose of keeping them from the craft market, and they just sit in a silo or barn to dry out. I know they still have a majority of the market, but they do seem to go out of their way to dunk on craft in commercials, and buy up whatever breweries they can. Why not just improve your own products?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
According to my Untappd app, I've already got 78 unique-to-this-year beers. Which, at this pace, means I'm going to obliterate my goal of having 365 unique-to-this-year beers. Especially since Winter Beerfest is at the Convention Center this weekend.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I always preferred BeerAdvocate to RateBeer, but I’d look at both if I was trying to get more information on a beer.

In other news, Slyfox is opening two locations in Pittsburgh. A brewery in the Southside and a brewpub downtown.
Sly Fox Is Expanding To Pittsburgh - Breweries in

Anyone else hoping we see some sort of brewery as part of the redevelopment by PPG Paints Arena? Whether it’s a local brewery opening another location or an out of town brewery opening a satellite location.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idle question - is there much excitement about Brewdog planning to open a place in Pittsburgh? Or just shrugging considering how much awesome beer is flowing through the city right now?

Also, I got my hands on the Angry Chair German Chocolate Cupcake stout the other day, and its destroyed my life. I need to get a better paying job so I can become a drunk right.

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
Idle question - is there much excitement about Brewdog planning to open a place in Pittsburgh? Or just shrugging considering how much awesome beer is flowing through the city right now?

Also, I got my hands on the Angry Chair German Chocolate Cupcake stout the other day, and its destroyed my life. I need to get a better paying job so I can become a drunk right.

Where/when is that suppose to open? I've been to the one in Brussels and it had a lot of good stuff that wasn't just BrewDog.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I'm going to Milwaukee in June, any suggestions for brewery tours / beers to try whilst there? Remember, I am very boring when it comes to beer so nothing too fancy please :laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Bought a case of this at Walmart for $14.......$14 FOR A CASE!! It's actually not bad for the beach and I'm rocking those early 90's prices. I will drink for very cheap this summer at the beach!

12-beer-franklin-liquors.jpg

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I imagine Miller brewery is a must. Now that I'm curious, I'll probably research Milwaukee further. :laugh:
There are a shit load to choose from. I don't have a lot of time so can only do one. Will probably go for a little local as opposed to a multinational like Miller, even though that will be what I'll be knocking back at, haha, Miller Park all weekend :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Where/when is that suppose to open? I've been to the one in Brussels and it had a lot of good stuff that wasn't just BrewDog.

Near the Target/Trader Joes in East Liberty. I forget what its meant to open, but don't think it'll be that long now as I they've announced it officially.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Near the Target/Trader Joes in East Liberty. I forget what its meant to open, but don't think it'll be that long now as I they've announced it officially.

It'll be in the bottom floor of those new condos that they just built:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbu...funding-craft-brewer-brewdogpursuing-new.html

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->