• Total voters

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
-1_medium.jpg

Reactions: OffSydes

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
He also managed to unload Heatley for Havlat and that was before Havlat went full three stooges tearing his hamstring falling over the boards on a line change. Then eventually getting speared (f***ing Bieksa) and eventually bought out.

Reactions: pappaf2

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m not quite sure what those posters expect from DW.
If there is a GM that has made the moves to bring a Stanley Cup to San Jose, it is him.
To some of you, the expectation of absolute perfection is way overblown.
No, he hasn’t made every move to the biggest benefit to the team. It’s my guess that Doug Armstrong had no clue that Binnington was going to win him a Cup.
It’s part luck. A big part of luck.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
If there is a GM that has made the moves to bring a Stanley Cup to San Jose, it is him.
No, he hasn’t made every move to the biggest benefit to the team. It’s my guess that Doug Armstrong had no clue that Binnington was going to win him a Cup.

Got to agree here. At some point the stars just have to align for a team.

I'd say making the playoffs is 100% on the GM. That may even be too much.
Winning 1 or 2 rounds maybe 75% on the GM.
Beyond that the calls, the injuries (yours and your opponents), the unsung heroes stepping up, a goalie catching lightning in a bottle, upsets in other series just happen to be in your favor for 3 weeks.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

If there is a GM that has made the moves to bring a Stanley Cup to San Jose, it's the GM that has been here for 16 years and has brought *checks notes* 0 Stanley Cups to San Jose.

Reactions: themelkman

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If there is a GM that has made the moves to bring a Stanley Cup to San Jose, it's the GM that has been here for 16 years and has brought *checks notes* 0 Stanley Cups to San Jose.

It's almost like he's trying to build a team with one hand tied behind his back by the league and the press.

Doug Wilson has consistently gotten better over the years, to the point where you really can't let him go as the odds of you getting someone better are next to none. He's managed to build a highly competitive team year after year even when we couldn't spend to the cap, when UFA's refuse to sign here, with the worst travel schedule in the league, without a single #1 overall draft pick (ever).

The one thing I still think he struggles with is coaching staffs.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Not having won a Cup is a valid and strong point.
I don’t like that we haven’t won yet but I also suffered through an 11 win season. That gives me perspective.
To post pictures of a banner to support the “bad” moves he’s made is being nit-picky in my opinion .

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

He always seems to be 1-2 obvious moves away from making his teams as good as they can be. The Polak/Wallin/Semenov/Haley etc. moves are realtively minor, but they are frustrating. Having a completely dead spot on the roster every single night is really annoying. In addition, some of the team staffing seems to lack accountability, as Doug can be loyal to a fault.

That being said, count me in as one of the people that is extremely happy DW has been our GM. Those are relatively minor complaints campared to the vast majority of NHL teams over the last 16 years. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather be a good team for almost 2 decades than win a lucky cup and be shitty for a lot of the other seasons.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
DW not winning a cup doesn't make him a bad GM

It's very random. Otherwise, presidents trophy winning teams would probably be winning the cup much more consistently m

It's also not like if u look at the list of cup winning GMs it's like a murders row of geniuses

Reactions: Alaskanice

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's almost like he's trying to build a team with one hand tied behind his back by the league and the press.

Doug Wilson has consistently gotten better over the years, to the point where you really can't let him go as the odds of you getting someone better are next to none. He's managed to build a highly competitive team year after year even when we couldn't spend to the cap, when UFA's refuse to sign here, with the worst travel schedule in the league, without a single #1 overall draft pick (ever).

The one thing I still think he struggles with is coaching staffs.

The league and the press have tied his hands behind his back? Yeah, that's a new one on the list of excuses why DW has never won a Cup.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Curious, what is the plan for the crowd that believes he’s done an unfavorable job to this point?

Surely it’s not a new GM every season until one wins a Cup, right? A new GM every #X years until one wins a Cup?

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Curious, what is the plan for the crowd that believes he’s done an unfavorable job to this point?

Surely it’s not a new GM every season until one wins a Cup, right? A new GM every #X years until one wins a Cup?
The grass is greener. They are the same posters that go on and on about how coach x is and idiot because rookie y should replace 12th forward z.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Some real nice strawmen in here. I never even said that DW should be fired. I just think it's kind of funny to say "if there is a GM to bring the Cup to SJ, it's him" when he's been here 16 years and hasn't done it.

Reactions: DeadGhost

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Some real nice strawmen in here. I never even said that DW should be fired. I just think it's kind of funny to say "if there is a GM to bring the Cup to SJ, it's him" when he's been here 16 years and hasn't done it.

A better phrasing of that would be: If there is GM in the league who has consistently done his part to build a roster that can win a cup, it's him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad